pop or soda???

Options
where are u from and do u say pop or soda??
i am originally from ohio and say pop, but i moved to california about 6 months ago and when i say pop people look at me like i am crazy or they laugh..... i will not conform its always pop to me :drinker:

Replies

• fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I grew up saying pop but now that I have lived elsewhere for a long time, I say soda. I am originally from OK but moved to Missouri.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Originally from Texas, now live in California and still say pop
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Soda, but for some twisted reason my father still says Tonic... really???

I am from Massachusetts...
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i live in michigan and i'm one of the few who say soda.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that used COKE, for everything.... Can I get an orange coke... sounded odd, but they didn't say soda or pop, just coke... was a bit odd to have a diet grape coke... lol
  • leopardvice
    Options
    from california... say soda but really whatever its called you shouldn't drink it!
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that used COKE, for everything.... Can I get an orange coke... sounded odd, but they didn't say soda or pop, just coke... was a bit odd to have a diet grape coke... lol

Almost everyone I knew growing up in East Texas said coke for everything. I remember working at a restaurant and finding out very quickly that I needed to specify what types of coke we had. And no, that didn't mean diet, regular, or coke zero. It meant any and all carbonated beverages!!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm from Utah and most everyone I've ever known has said pop. I personally have always said soda, but I think that's cause my parents are from California.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Soft drink in Australia...
  • kittenkisser
    Options
    I'm from Tennessee and I say soda, I think that the ratio of people who say soda and who say pop is about even here though.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    neither here in Australia. We call Coke, Coke, Pepsi is..Pepsi, etc. Generically we call anything carbonated 'fizzy' (cordial) to differentiate between that and cordial (concentrate with water added).
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Neither.....
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I call it soda. I live in South Carolina.

They should call it poison.
  • amyloola
    amyloola Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Soft drink or fizzy here, but generally call them by their names like coke, lemonade, fanta etc. I'm from New Zealand :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Soft drink (or shortened "soft") or soda. I'm from Belgium.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I grew up POP in Seattle. I went to college in DC (the Washington the city) in 1976. One night, I went out with a bunch of classmates to a all night restruant and I asked,, "what kind of pop do you have?" NO ONE knew what I was talking about! I said,, "you know,, coke, pepsi, rootbeer and such",, they all said OH YEAH,, SODA!

I was in college only one year. I came home to land of POP!

For some reason, I never revert back to POP. I think SODA sounds nicer so I stick with it. Both of my kids say POP and they never critize my SODA. I noticed one thing,,, If I go someplace and asked "what kind of soda do you have?" no one bat an eye... I guess the SODA people all moved to Seattle.

Lee
    :flowerforyou:
  • missebony88
    Options
    when i hear soda i think of soda water as in carbonated water. I just say what it is coke, lemonade, etc. though if i'm around friends its fizzy bubbly (thanks zohan) or grandparents, cousins i'll offer a soft drink then list what we have.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    When I lived on the West coast it was pop, but now I say coke. I drink Diet pepsi as my drink of choice, but it's still a coke. Everyone around me here in TN calls it a coke regardless of brand.
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Soft drink or fizzy here, but generally call them by their names like coke, lemonade, fanta etc. I'm from New Zealand :)

Yep you stated exactly what I was going to say LOL I'm from NZ as well :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In Scotland carbonated drinks are often referred to as "juice" or "ginger", it depends where you come from.

Usually, you just call a drink by it's name Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc

I'm a big Dr Pepper Zero fan myself :drinker: