is weighing myself every morning bad

Options

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most days (and did when I was loosing weight too) - but I only log it when there have been a change of +/- 1lb or once a week - whatever is more frequent,

One thing I noticed was that my weight fluctuated up and down by up to 4lb from day to day, so if you want to understand what you're results mean, plot a graph and look at the trend, not a specific days value. This is why I don't weigh in weekly - you could be really out on that particular day compared to the rest of the week and you will only see the impact a week later when you are back to your average. That means you could think you are doing really well and then be disapointed, or think you are doing really badly when you are fine.

If you want to be really smart, compare your weekly average :)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week at the moment at work. We're doing the Biggest Loser Competition.

I used to be very obsessive about weighing myself a few years ago when I lost over two stone, i was jumping on the scale every day, sometimes more.

I find just once a week is enough now, even then I still don't like doing it!!

You also have to realise that just because you're losing body fat doesn't necessarily mean the scale is going to budge. I learnt this for myself while I was doing the 30DS. Even though my clothes were becoming loose and people were even noticing the change, i didn't lose any physical weight. As a result, I lost all motiviation and ended up just giving up!

So... my personal advice to you is just do it once a week and if the scale goes up please don't be disheartened. Our bodies are complicated devices and we have our reasons for the change in weight, especially us females! Don't give up, just look at how your clothes are fitting and how you feel yourself.

Take this week for instance, my jeans are looser than ever and i've been running my *kitten* off and working really hard to eat clean, and I put on a pound! I'm a bit gutted but I will not lose motivation. I will continue! In 2 weeks i've lost 8 pounds! I'm not giving up and neither should you!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • hydranger
    hydranger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day but only record it weekly, like others say there are always fluctuations and if on my weigh in day I haven't lost anything then I know it will be better next week coz I've seen the results on a previous day, I keep a graph and am happy to be losing an average of 1-1.5 lb per week, the average figure keeps me sane on no-loss weeks.
  • jobster68
    jobster68 Posts: 145
    Options
    Don't weigh every day you will go crackers! Weigh once a week in the morning on an empty stomach - then put the scales away where it is a pain in the bum to get them out every morning!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, you will have daily fluctuations which can even be several pounds, but so long as your overall trend is downwards, you're fine. If you want to weight every day, why not track it on a spreadsheet, then you can see how certain things affect your daily weight - certain food and drinks, time of the month etc., then if you have an unexpected gain, it's easy to see why.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most days (and did when I was loosing weight too) - but I only log it when there have been a change of +/- 1lb or once a week - whatever is more frequent,
    ^^^ This!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, weight fluctuations are usually due to water retention.

On days I drink wine at night, I weigh lesser than previous day. That does not mean that wine is letting me lose weight but it has dehydrated me in order to have a false sense of having lost weight.

But this is the only way of keeping track of the weight for me!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's completely up to you - I weigh and log almost every day. I struggle with weekly weigh-ins because I lose momentum and eat rubbish, telling myself that it doesn't matter because it's still 7/6/5/4/3/2/1 days until weigh-in... doh! There are fluctuations from one day to the next sometimes, but I personally find it more helpful to note these so I can look back over time and see what my day-to-day weight has been.

I don't think there are any rights or wrongs when it comes to weighing in - do what works for you and makes you feel happy.
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I too weigh myself every day - for me if it's up a bit then its helps motivate me to drink more water, or check if TOTM is approaching - or like today up 0.8lbs from yesterday but I didn't go to the loo yesterday :-( so gives me boost to ensure I get more fibre rich foods into my diet today ... On days there is a drop - I record it on mfp and it gives me a real boost :-)
    That's just the way it works for me
  • yadhia
    yadhia Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi....I have decided not to weigh myself and measure my sucess by the sizes on the clothes. I know that this is a total different approach but I HATE the scale. I know that fitting into my size 8 jeans gives me more confidence than seeing a number on the scale. Do what works for you, everyone is different.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I knew going in that a body can fluctuate so I took a challenge to learn from it not freak about it... Since I log what I eat everyday, I watched like a hawk to see how my body responded or not. for eg: Sodium can gain an ounce or two for me if I treat myself to steakspice on a steak.... when on a plateau an ounce or two can creep on...but knowing I follow what I should, I know my body now and can adapt fine. I also find I can react faster knowing what I weigh every day. I think I would go nuts waiting a week...and then I would feel it's too late to be able to do something.

If a person can do this and not bring themselves down in doing it... fine...but if not it might be best to hide the scales for your scheduled weigh ins. Everyone is different...and no correct answer, you have to find what works for you.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, for me it helps me understand my body. I don't stress about the fluctuations, it's more for curiosity; I can put on 7lbs during TOM (yes, really!) And I also know that if I'm not careful I can put on 1lb a day, and keep it, likewise if I don't eat enough I can lose 1lb a day. I know this, as previously I have crash dieted and have always managed crazy goals! I'm now trying to lose weight steadily and soon maintain it. I don't think there is any harm in weighing yourself every day as long as you are ok seeing those fluctuations. I do record all fluctuations, if the lbs stay longer than a day. Again looking back over previous weeks allows me to see what is 'normal' for me.

But everyone is different. Do what works best for you and don't worry about what others say.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As you can see there are a lot of different opinions on this issue. You have to figure out what works best for you and then do it. If weighing every day and seeing the fluctuations is bringing you down and causing you to lack motivation then do not do it. Though on the other hand, if you weigh every day, realize there will be fluctuations, accept them for what they are and are ok with it then weigh every day. It really is as simple as that! :happy:

For me I jump on the scale once a day, first thing in the morning. I see fluctuations all the time. Perfect example, I am up 1 lb today from what I was yesterday. I don't stress over my fluctuations at all. In fact, for me the fluctuations make me want to work harder. Like someone else already mentioned, eventually you begin to see a pattern with the fluctuations. I weigh in every Monday. I notice a day or two later my weight goes up sometimes by a few ounces and other times by a lb or 2. By Thursday it begins to drop again, and boy do I get super motivated when I see the number getting lower! I find I am at my lowest on Monday, so naturally that is when I like to weigh in. But that is just me....

Remember everyone is different. What works for one person does not always work for everyone. You just have to experiment and see what works best for you. Once you find it, then stick with it. I wish you the best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day as a "body awareness" thing, but I only RECORD my weight once a week.

As a fatty, I've been so detached from my body and its cues and responses to salt, to sugar, to water, to pain, to eating different times of day, to hunger. . . So I weigh daily to try to reconnect to my body's natural rhythms--when it's a little heavier, when it's lighter, how that's related to how I feel and how IT feels.
  • kira80
    kira80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It depends on you. If weighing daily is stressing you out or causing you to lose motivation you shouldn't. I weigh daily because it helps me make adjustments as I go. If i ate clean and drank my water but my weight went up, I'll drink some lemon juice to flush the water gain. I dont care what I weigh in the end. Its inches and fat loss that I'm concerned with. I only count my weight loss once a week when I have my body comp done which tells me every little detail about total weight, % of fat, % of muscle, % of water, etc.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you can handle it psychologically, it's not bad to weigh in each day. I weigh in every day, sometimes twice. It's interesting because after awhile you get to know what causes the weight to go on, what causes it to come off. If you take into account sodium, sleep, everything, you can usually account for weird gains and losses that occur. It's all up to you and how you handle it.
  • meldickman
    Options
    If you havn't read "eating your exercise" which was posted by a mfp member then do so and it will help you realize that you need to eat enough calories or your doing more harm than good in the weight loss department.
    You can just google it and it will pull up.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day. It helps me to keep track of how I am doing BUT you need to be ready to see fluctuations and not cry about it. If you have issues with it then weigh in once a week.
  • jo2907
    jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was allways told by slimming club leaders not to weigh every day because of the fluctuations you can go up and down. i weigh myself twice a week on a wednesday and a sunday. both early morning on an empty stomach.

Dont know if im weird but i allways weigh at least 3 times in a row, and then take the average weight?? I have Weight Watchers digital scales and my weight can change by 1/2 lb or 1/4 when i weigh myself?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because every day is a new motivation to see if I have lost any weight.

Many days I don't, and some days I gain, but I don't sweat it.

I would not want to go a week between weighings because I bet I could put on 5 pounds in a week without even trying.

Diligence is what keeps me going.