uk people

Options
hello all i have a question to people here in uk as this site i assume was set up with americans in mind with regards to the foods you can add in your dairy i was wondering if everyone adds their protein fat and sodium into there diary here? for me its calories and sat fat and total fat count i add quick calories then i add notes on the food page for my sat/fats i do not however count sodium fibre sugar, i dont add sugar to my food and i add very little salt to anything just wondering what others do.

Replies

• Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i dont add sodium or protein fats i just work on calories and fats

xxxx
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Same as Monkey_moo. But I am a newbie so still figuring things for myself!!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have not monitored anything but cals so far.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I add the foods from the database as it does seem to have everything I need. Only occasionally have I need to add just the calories. I only take notice of the calories and the fat. If you eat fruit on a regular basis you will never keep under the target for sugar anyway.
  • ClariceDancer
    Options
    Hello from the UK too :) I just concentrate more on the calories
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i suppose if we added the food to the database we could add that but ive got my head around calorie counting not sure i can start adding to that salt sodium sugar fibre where does it stop mineral counting??
  • Tams297
    Tams297 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes i only look at the cals. i don't worry too much about the sugars and i have remmoved the sodium from the chart as i don't eat processed foods. I don't worry about the fat even so long as i know i am eating "good" fats like nuts and fish
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have found alot of the nutritional information to be a little off but UK products are in the database already, especially supermarket products. If you have a smartphone i recommend the my fitness pal application which has a built in bar code scanner, makes adding food to the diary alot easier and you can compare the nutritional information against the packet as you do it.

Again this is not always accurate, a sticky toffee pudding i scanned last week is in the database as a spicy sausage.

I monitor in my diary mainly calories, carbs, fat, protein, sat fat and fibre and use the mobile app to monitor the vitamins and minerals also. I do not use the quick add calories feature as i prefer to build a recipe and add that to my diary, that way it adds all the values based on the ingredients.
  • nettleboo
    Options
    hello sgf0360 i wouldnt count fruit sugar any how i do count the calories which my partner thinks is crazy as its good for you and fruit lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why is that an american thing?
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So long as you are sticking to your calories I think it's pretty hard to go way, way over on all the other macro stuff. Unless you sit there chewing on 1200 calories worth of lard or something. Most of the stuff is all in the database anyway and if it isn't - I just don't sweat it. My diet isn't that bad anyway and so long as I'm within cals I'm happy.
  • sejx
    sejx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    if you go into the settings you can change things mine is now fat carb and sugar not sodium
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I concentrate on Cals & Fat but if I'm entering something into the database I try to add as much detail as possible from the packet.
    Hope this helps!
  • nettleboo
    Options
    hello thanks for replies
    with regards to your questiontaverstock toad all the foods i found on the database were american so i assumed it was based around american foods not ones found here in uk but ive since learned from rich that you can scan the food with your smart phone so i will be trying that next.
  • hydranger
    hydranger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just concentrate on the calories and use the 3 figures that the UK site give us, Americans seem to be much more technical than us.

To anyone dieting in the UK at the moment Morrisons have some great offers on, some of the Weight Watchers ready meals are only .87p and the Grolious Skinney soups are £1 and do twice.