Tracking Sodium

Options
How many people track their sodium intake? I have been losing 1-2 lbs most weeks, but my hubbie keeps telling me I use too much salt and/or eat high sodium items. I added it to my tracker and saw that I have been going way over what is recommended daily. Do most people track this and see a difference in their weight loss? I am wondering if this is making me retain water?? Advice appreciated! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I do. Once you see how much sodium your getting you'll be shocked.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will make you retain water.
  • reckjb
    reckjb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was very shocked! I always stay under my carbs/fat, and calories, but my sodium was over by the thousands most days! :/
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I very much track my sodium, I usually stay between 1500-1800 grams a day. You will be amazed at how easy it is to go over, and how will make your wt flucuate!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh yes. I have to watch it. I go over even by a couple hundred and the next day I'm up 2 lbs! lol I keep mine at 2400mg and I'm usually good if I drink about 15-17 glasses of water but since switching jobs and not being able to drink as much during the day, I've been barely getting in 12 and it's showing on the scale and on my fingers (ring is tight). *sigh*
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    i track my sodium due to high blood pressure and i am hoping that i can get off of my meds on Friday when i go back in for another blood pressure check.

since i have been really concentrating on my sodium and not going over, my blood pressure has gone down and i am still losing the weight
  • jcarmel
    jcarmel Posts: 30
    Options
    My golden rule is if I have a higher sodium day to drink extra water that day...The water will help flush it out! I try to keep it from going in the red but some days its hard! Good luck and you have been doing great if your seeing those losses!
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    when i first started i didn't track it... or care that much... but now that i'm getting so close to my goal i'm noticing it is making a big difference. one day over and my weight is up for a few days... i also drink around 15 cups of water a day.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tried taking a look at your food journal but you have it locked out. Tracking your sodium is critical for so many reasons. You are a young gal but as you age it becomes even more important. High levels of sodium combined with being over weight is the number one leading cause of high blood pressure which leads to stroke. I have been taking a very low dose of BP med for the past couple of years and am working very hard to reduce my weight and sodium enough to go off of it soon. Once you start tracking it, you will soon realize all the foods it is hidden in that you would never suspect. Do yourself and your health a huge favor and start paying attention to it now. You will be so happy you did!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I track my sodium. Some days I am over by about 800, some days I am under. I'm working on lowering it and stuff, but I, personally, haven't had any weight retention that I've noticed. But it can definitely affect you. And if you have high blood pressure you'd def need to watch it.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I track it due to blood pressure concerns. Looks like my tracking has finally paid off though! Went to the doctors today and my blood pressure has dropped into the normal range :D
  • reckjb
    reckjb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input! I am going to track it this week and see if it makes a difference. I am shocked at how much sodium is in some stuff!