1200 calories seems too low.....

Options
I posted this on the new member section but I thought maybe new members might not have the background/experience to help me with this. I have decided to finally change my life.......this past weekend I had a breaking point and what is different this time is that I'm excited about my new journey. The problem is that the website recommends 1200 calories which seems to low for me. I'm 5'2 aproximately 175-180 lbs. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. One more thing.....I don't want to weigh myself because I HATE the scale. I'm goint to measure my success by the size of my clothes. I know that is different but I don't know if I mentioned that I HATE the scale.....LOL

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That does seem exceptionally low. How many pounds have you got it set to lose a week? 1lb is perfect, and you will still find you lose more at first. Don't forget to eat your exercise calories!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It will be because you've set it to lose 2lb a week I would have thought. It is low, but you will need a big deficit to lose 2lb/week. Try changing it.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yeah you might be trying to lose too aggressively. What is your daily activity level like? Do you sit at a desk all day or are you up and moving around? I'm right around 180 right now and I eat 1925 per day, and that works for me. But I eat back all the calories I exercise, am not looking to lose very fast, and work construction for a living.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    1200 would be the recommended intake if you do no exercise at all and want to lose up to a couple of lbs a week. The more active you are the higher the recommended daily calorie intake will be.
  • gypsy1957
    Options
    I would agree.

However I've been recording my calories since Monday, and find I am OK on 1200 calories.

There again, I am not well at present and not active.

The little exercise I managed yesterday gave me 174 extra calories, so dont forget just a gentle stroll could up your food allowance.

Good Luck
    June
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    saw this posted on this topic last night

TOPIC: Why 1200 calories probably isn't good for you...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/muscle-loss_b_974019.html

From the article:

"Fortunately, the solution to maintaining muscle mass while losing weight requires only three things:

1. Keeping calorie intake at around 1,200 calories or more a day so the body doesn't turn to muscle as a source of energy. Fasting or liquid diets with very few calories are particularly effective in producing muscle loss because of their low calorie content.

2. Consuming protein in adequate amounts. The daily requirement for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of body weight. Figure out how much you need by first changing your weight from lbs to kilograms. Do this by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8. If you lose a substantial amount of weight, say 100 pounds or more on your diet, your protein needs will decrease. (If you decide to become a professional body builder they will increase.)

3. Exercising as often as possible. Strength and/or resistance training must be part of your routine. It is not necessary to get a personal trainer or use elaborate machines to build muscle. For example, yoga will build muscles because many routines use certain muscles of the body to hold up or balance other parts. Many gyms, including the Y, offer classes using weights, exercise balls or resistance bands to work and strengthen muscles. Exercise videos also teach methods for muscle strengthening that can be done in your living room. Lastly, don't overlook the pool. Water is heavy and a perfect medium for increasing the muscles all over your body, while eliminating impact on your joints and spine."
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5" and was on 1200 for 3 or 4 months, until I switched my loss to 1/2 a lb a week, when it rose to a massive 1360 cals! I'm afraid that that is what it takes. It does seem low, and I was hungry and miserable for much of those first 3 months. But the weight came off, it does work.
  • yadhia
    yadhia Posts: 4
    Options
    I do have a job where I sit all day. I'm thinking I'm going to eat the calories that I excercise which is aroung 200 per day. I'm trying to lose 1-2 lbs per week......I was actually fine with what I ate but I'm a little bit hungry right now. I guess it doesn't help that I'm up at 2:40 am....thank you for the feedback
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day and I don't exercise, that's why I can only eat 1200 cals. I'm fine with it, I don't go hungry. I'm kinda looking forward to buying that treadmill and upping my daily cals.
  • shazzamax11
    Options
    That does seem low as thats what they recommend as a daily allowance without losing weight.
    I'm on 1770 a day as a basic allowance but I do exercise 4-5 times a week so my calorie intake is higher. If you can manage to do some regular exercise then the weight should start to drop off. Dont despair, it takes time for the body to adjust.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    1200 is low. Try with just 1/1-1lb per week of loss and see that that does.

Remember - FRESH fruit and vegetables are LOW in cals so you can FILL up on these!!!! I've been eating a Flat-out bread with feta/veggies/turkey and it's like 260 cals TOTAL and REALLY filling! Change your mode of thinking to how can I eat the MOST on low calories - BIG SALADS (with healthy toppings/dressing) with lunch and dinner.

Make it a game.
  • michiganderrdh
    Options
    And - the more you exercise the more you get to eat! Keep it clean!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and have more than 20lb to loose and i have set my calories at 1400 and appear to be loosing 2 (ish) lbs a week. I think if you set it too low you will become miserable and lack energy and therfore be more inclined to 'cheat' or just give up. You must be realistic and find something you can live with long term, best of luck :-)
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started at a weight of 144. My recommended caloric intake is 1200. I try to keep my meals under 350 calories each. With exercise, I earn back 300-500 calories daily and eat some of them back. If you limit fats and carbs, consume more fruits and vegetables, and exercise, staying under isn't as difficult as it seems.
  • michiganderrdh
    Options
    And - the more you exercise the more you get to eat! Keep it clean!

OOPs - double post
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When you are trying to lose at that rate, you will be hungry sometimes, I go to 1200 calories when i'm trying to lose as well. I have learned ways to eat a lot for 1200 calories a day. Also your definition of "FULL" probably needs to change to just not hungry any more :)) Veggies, whole wheat pasta, almond milk vs regular milk, reduced fat cheeses or no cheese on a sandwich saves you some calories and at 1200 everything counts!! I will roll up turkey and reduced fat provolone and eat that with a couple crackers instead of bread and condiments. I just upped from 1200 to 1290 - woohoo -

Good luck!
  • vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    2. Consuming protein in adequate amounts. The daily requirement for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of body weight. Figure out how much you need by first changing your weight from lbs to kilograms. Do this by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8.

Dividing your lbs by 2.75 does the same thing.. might make it easier.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5" and was on 1200 for 3 or 4 months, until I switched my loss to 1/2 a lb a week, when it rose to a massive 1360 cals! I'm afraid that that is what it takes. It does seem low, and I was hungry and miserable for much of those first 3 months. But the weight came off, it does work.

How do you change your settings for how much to lose per week? OOps, Just figured it out. :embarassed:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It does seem low, but it is right.

As others have said, use exercise to buy yourself some more calories to eat.

My other piece of advice is to avoid high energy density foods (burgers, doughnuts etc and even bread to an extent) as they won't fill you up. I don't believe that carbs are evil per se, but when you have to choose between a big bowl of salad and 1 slice of bread to fill up on, it's no-brainer.
  • mazp12
    mazp12 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am also 5ft 2 and weigh at start was 196 lbs and my calorie intake was put at 1200 which seemed low at the time, I just get round it by exercising loads to gain some calories back ! I have so far lost 12lb and its still at 1200 calories a day .