Is your workplace diet friendly?

Options
Is your job diet friendly?

mines is not, since it's halloween season, candy is EVERYWHERE. hershey chocolate, reese cups, snickers, you name it. the office has it. On top of that a manager brought in rolls, bagels, and muffins to work for the office.

Eh, yeah I know EVERYONE is not on a diet.

Replies

• manorexicmarshmallow
    Options
    Oh man. There is constantly food being left out in the kitchen from meetings, cookies, muffins, all sorts of unhealthy stuff....

Also, my work provides free sodas... I am totally hooked on diet cokes with like no way of breaking the habit.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Not at all...people are constantly bringing in doughnuts, bagels, cookies, cake, etc....it's rough =\
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My workplace is like the place people bring stuff to get it away from home! November 1st, I'm sure our area will be flooded with people's kids candy and then the holiday baking will start soon. But I have learned not to even try anything because it will be hard not to overdo it. But I do allow myself a treat occasionally. I bring my lunch to work almost every day, eat a good breakfast before leaving home and stash my own snacks so that I'm not tempted as much.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Since starting my professional career, I haven't really worked at a Diet Frienly place. All tend to have free food, candy, and snacks somewhere. Stay strong and focused and if you do fall a victim, remember portion control.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    I totally relate sista!!!! I used to be a paralegal at a law firm for 17 plus years, and the holidays are the worst not to mention everytime someone has a darn birthday....tough stuff I know.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in healthy options? My work place here has a ton of candy and I am thinking about bringing in a fruit tray on Friday to combat the weekly donuts?
    Everyone is not on a diet but everyone gets that heavy weighed down feeling when they get too much crap. Maybe by bringing in a better option, you can make people realize that light snacks are so much better!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nope. They're fairly health-conscious, but there's always muffins, ice cream bars in the freezer (at least I don't have to see them) and yesterday my boss ordered a couple of pizzas.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling....Just pack your lunch and some healthy snacks and log everything. It's just not worth the extra calories. If you look up something that's brought in you'll see that for the size, it's just not even worth looking at.

Be strong!!!!
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No definetely not. My office buys lunch for the employees most days. Never healthy. Things like pizza, enchiladas, chicken fried steaks, etc....very hard to stay focused on a diet at work.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For the most part. They do "bagel wednesday" but I don't participate.
    People bring in stuff for the "snack table" which used to be near my desk but it's been moved to the back room. Thank goodness!!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not in the least. Vending machine full of junk, the boss is constantly offering to pick us up fast food for lunch or a milkshake when he runs errands...which was great, when I wasn't trying to lose weight. And since I'm lacking on willpower as it is, it's a constant struggle.
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    mine is def not diet friendly. All my co workers smoke and go get fast food and sodas on lunch break. they eat and drink crap allll day. I work for an orthopedic surgeon and we are constantly getting candy and treats from drug reps and home health services and it always ends up on my desk. plus my co workers really were not supportive of my weight loss, but now that ive lost 30 lbs they have now started to support me. I just refuse to keep the candy by my desk, i move it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No, it is not.

Right now (and every Wednesday) there's a platter of baked goods. Read: giant platter that covers the whole counter. Every Wednesday I have to pretend that there is no such thing as French Toast Bagels.

On the way out to the hallway (which I pass many times/day) there are M&M dispensers with little cups. There's also salt-free nuts there which is a good healthy alternative...but if I get some nuts I see all of the types of M&Ms mocking me.

We also have a full kitchen in my office so people are constantly baking and cooking things to share. As long as I stick to the food I bring each day I'm okay.

After all, someone once told me: "Free food at work is NOT actually free."

Sound advice. I've come too far to let the abundance of food at work trip me up.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    HAHA nope! not at all!! but it works out great for me.. bc i like to bake and try stuff.. and i can just bring the rest of it in to work for ppl to eat so it doesnt go to waste and i can keep baking! and they love it! lol..very rarely is anything they bring in all that tempting anyways! i have a DRAW full of my own healthy delicious snacks! :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    More or less. On occasion someone brings in baked goods and puts them in our kitchen for everyone. But no one pressures you to eat it. And we get 1/2 hour a day (apart from lunch) to go out and walk.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    iI's tough. I pratice saying no thank you in my head. I also keep healthy snacks at my desk so I don't get tempted to eat other things. I have gotten good at just eating 1 fun sized bar a day. For me it helps to now I can if I want to. For others it's best to say no to all of it. You have to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Lol, I work at a gym so YES!
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We have a healthy rule that you can't bring that stuff in. Not for meetings or anything. No donuts or carb filled breakfast roll platters. It is reallly helpful! We don't have a soda machine or vending machine. Our HR director is on board that healthy staff are more productive and no one here complains about it. SUPER AMAZING!
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital on the heart floor, and there's junk in the break room 3 days a week. On the weekends, the one heart doctor actually brings in bagels from a local bakery which are really good tasting. Temptation all the time!
  • southerngirlspa
    Options
    I totally relate sista!!!! I used to be a paralegal at a law firm for 17 plus years, and the holidays are the worst not to mention everytime someone has a darn birthday....tough stuff I know.

I'm right there with that! I'm a paralegal too...my boss brought in doughnuts today and we have candy EVERYWHERE! Pretty soon all the treat baskets and gifts for the holidays will start rolling in. Luckily, sweets aren't usually my downfall and we have a lot of physicians as clients so they send healthier options like we get a fruit basket every year with the most delicious pears! I will just look forward to those and not mindlessly eat the doughnuts like I used to.