How do you eat grits?

2»

Replies

• gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Thanks everybody, who knew that grits could be this interesting :laugh:
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    I'm always trying to find new ideas for breakfast and i CAN NOT:sick: eat eggs so my options end up pretty limited. I discovered i like oatmeal again but i'm getting bored with it so i recently discovered quick grits and my mommy says i'm a weird texan 'cause I like grits with sugar but i also like them with butter, salt & pepper. (apparently i'm not supposed to like it with sugar :tongue: ) but i'm curious How do you eat grits, oatmeal and the like?

I like grits with sugar free jelly !!!! yummmmm!!!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    I'm always trying to find new ideas for breakfast and i CAN NOT:sick: eat eggs so my options end up pretty limited. I discovered i like oatmeal again but i'm getting bored with it so i recently discovered quick grits and my mommy says i'm a weird texan 'cause I like grits with sugar but i also like them with butter, salt & pepper. (apparently i'm not supposed to like it with sugar :tongue: ) but i'm curious How do you eat grits, oatmeal and the like?

I like grits with sugar free jelly !!!! yummmmm!!!

hmmm, that sounds interesting!
  • grits with butter and red pepper flakes!!!
  • ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Grits (If you have seen cream of wheat, think cream of corn), are typically eaten at breakfast with butter and salt. I was teased for eating them with sugar as a child. I also ate white rice with sugar. Now you know why I have to limit carbs now. :)

My step father cooks his eggs over-easy (fried with yolks still runny), and puts them right on top of the grits, cuts up the eggs and mixes everything together and cleans it up with toast. I tried it and it is truly evil good.

If you want a non-breakfast treat, try them with garlic and cheese mixed in as a side to grilled snapper or other seafood topped with dijon mustard. Add some cheddar biscuits and your favorite beer and you have a Jimmy Buffet type feast that is probably horrible for you...
  • nrvcat
    nrvcat Posts: 3 Member
    Gah, corn. Try quinoa flakes -- it's better for you and has about the same consistency but not as...gritty. I have a 1/3 Cup of quinoa flakes cooked in just shy of 1 Cup of water (somewhere between 3/4 and 1 C). I then add 1/4 cup craisins and 1/2 Tbsp of milled flax seeds, plus roughly 1 Tbsp honey.
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    grits with salt and pepper for breakfast - grits with grilled shrimp on top for dinner! YUMMY.....

If no one has tried the Betteroats brand of oatmeal you should! They have like 10 different flavors with flaxseed and it's the best I've ever had! I add a sweetner and nothing else. I used to have butter and sugar but I've learned to love it without (saving those calories).
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    I add sharp cheddar cheese, diced jalapenos, honey & cooked garlic shrimp to mine and have it for lunch or dinner.

That sounds amazing -- I must try that next time.
  • Naytahlee
    Naytahlee Posts: 53 Member

My step father cooks his eggs over-easy (fried with yolks still runny), and puts them right on top of the grits, cuts up the eggs and mixes everything together and cleans it up with toast. I tried it and it is truly evil good.

That is exactly how I eat them! Delicious.... :)
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Salt, butter, cheddar cheese and bacon! :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Lovely americans, what are grits???

This. I thought you were eating the stuff they grit the roads with!

It is ground hominy. I eat them with spicy cream sauce and grilled shrimp. Not the least bit healthy but my dad's shrimp and grits are to die for.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Salt and pepper, lots of butter. Now I want some.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    I just made slow-cooked grits for the first time this weekend. I thought I didn't like grits...I was wrong! I love these ideas!
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    I usually eat grits with a tiny bit of butter, salt.. tons of pepper and fresh diced tomatoes.

Sometimes I do sugar and a little bit of vanilla.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Lovely americans, what are grits???

This. I thought you were eating the stuff they grit the roads with!

Corn grits. It's the same thing as polenta. Breakfast grits are most often made with white corn.

To the OP, if you don't like eggs and are bored with cereals why not just eat something else healthy that you like? Make a veggie and rice stir fry, or have a pb sandwich. Whatever. It's all food.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    I'm probably weird but I love my grits with a little salt and steamed prunes.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    I grew up on Grits with Red Eye Gravy! So good but I haven't eaten any like this since my mother passed away. She served it with home made biscuits, eggs, country ham, cheese and jelly. So good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!