how do i log this?

Options
when you clean, do laundry, dishes, etc do you log it as cleaning? if you do log it, what would you consider the line to be between light/moderate cleaning to heavy/vigorous cleaning?

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I call it part of my every day life and dont log it at all.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't log those things, I just log actual exercise.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't log it either.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

me, too! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Agree with this. I think it silly to log everyday stuff. I don't log walking to the shops or to school as it's a must in my life as is cleaning :-)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

This.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it, because I consider such activity part of my lifestyle and already accounted for in the amount of calories MFP gives me. You'll find differing opinions on here, but if you are going to log it, I would consider it light/moderate. I imagine that heavy/vigorous would have you on your hands and knees scrubbing, lugging a heavy bucket of mop water around, or otherwise exerting yourself to the point of breaking a sweat.
  • vintx
    vintx Posts: 34
    Options
    if i'm cleaning, i log it! i'm burning more calories getting off the couch, so it's motivation for me to get up. the majority i log as light to moderate cleaning. if i'm scrubbing like crazy, then i will log it as vigorous. good luck!

when i set up my profile, i have it that i on the sedentary setting, so that's why i count it. ;)
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I like this. Must agree, you might as well try the work out the steps from the TV to the refrigerator and log it as miles walked. You don't do that do you?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I only log washing the car! Cos that's a hella job and half the time I'm freezing my bum off too! I only put half the time it took though!
  • jultwan
    jultwan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it either. It is just everyday living. Just consider it a bonus.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I only log it if it's beyond my every day cleaning, like if I go on a cleaning fit and get down and scrub the baseboards and climb to do the fans. When that happens, it's almost always done vigoursly. I find myself having more and more cleaning fits lately.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I log it because it makes me sweat and frankly gets my heartrate up higher than my walks that I DO log. But I only log it when that does happen. If I am just doing the dishes then obviously my heart isn't doing anything extra so I don't log it. I haven't noticed much of a difference at all in the calories for either light or vigourous, so I usually just put light.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't log it myself but some of the folks on my friends list do. I think if I were you I would log it as light to moderate so you don't over estimate how many calories burned. Just my thoughts.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't vacuum and mop every day, and tend to break a sweat when I'm doing it - so I'l log that as moderate housework. Otherwise, the usual stuff (dishes, laundry, bed making, toilet scrubbing) is just living. :)
  • CleveRocks
    Options
    I don't log ANY exercise in the app the way it was desgined. I want to have the same calorie goal every day, I don't want to be able to offset my exercise with additional calories eaten.

I keep track of all my exercise in a free-form fashion, using the app's "exercise notes" section. There, I log everything I did in list form. I limit myself to 1700 calories a day, regardless of how much I exercised. I've lost 86 pounds so far, so it's worked for me so far.
  • jennynmorris
    jennynmorris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I log it as light/moderate, but I also dance while I do it which makes it more fun and gets my heart rate up more. :)
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I usually only log it if either I didn't get a chance to do an actual work out that day, or if it goes beyond the everyday cleaning duties, life washing the walls, windows, ceiling fans, etc...
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. That is part of my daily life and figured into my "lifestyle", ie. when you choose seditarty, lightly active, modereately active, etc...
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you are scrubbing the showers and really getting a good workout, you can log it, but for the most part, sweeping and mopping and dusting etc don't really count because it's not extra exercise. They are all things your body is used to doing on a regular basis. I mowed the lawns yesterday, and because they only get mowed 2x a month, I logged it because my body is not used to pushing the mower. It was exercise for me, and not part of my daily routine.