Does anyone shop WHOLE FOODS?

Options
We finally got a WHOLE FOODS MARKET about 30-45ish minutes away from me. Are they priced reasonably? I want to check it out but don't want to waste a trip if they are ridiculously priced (Like many healthier foods can be). I have a$650-$700/month food budget for 2 adults and 2 kids. Is it do-able with WHOLE FOODS MARKET?

Replies

• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    We finally got a WHOLE FOODS MARKET about 30-45ish minutes away from me. Are they priced reasonably? I want to check it out but don't want to waste a trip if they are ridiculously priced (Like many healthier foods can be). I have a$650-$700/month food budget for 2 adults and 2 kids. Is it do-able with WHOLE FOODS MARKET?

Are you by any chance living close to Okla. City? We have a Whole Foods opening here today. I'm wondering the same thing!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you check out their website, you can look at their flyer.

I just found out that the closest one to me is also about 40 minutes away. Super curious to see what everyone else thinks of the prices though before I make the drive all the way there as well.
  • We finally got a WHOLE FOODS MARKET about 30-45ish minutes away from me. Are they priced reasonably? I want to check it out but don't want to waste a trip if they are ridiculously priced (Like many healthier foods can be). I have a$650-$700/month food budget for 2 adults and 2 kids. Is it do-able with WHOLE FOODS MARKET?

Are you by any chance living close to Okla. City? We have a Whole Foods opening here today. I'm wondering the same thing!
    Yes, I am! (:
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- We have a $400 a month grocery budget for Whole Foods and never go over, and we eat the salmon, seafood, and grass fed beef too!!! Enjoy! Whole foods is AMAZING!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    my sister has one near her, the prices are a little higher but the choices are better (healthier).
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    i have several of them within maybe 10 miles. they're very popular here in south florida. i find them a little pricey but much better. the choices are great and th efresh deli has bison meat! <33 i buy they're generic brand called 365 orgains. saves a ton. my girlfriend says they take food stamps too so people can eat better now!
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love Whole Foods. They are a bit more pricey than the typical grocery store; HOWEVER the quality of food at Whole Foods is MUCH better. Mostly organic, very fresh and IMO worth a few extra bucks ($20 for a typical trip). The thing is that my local Whole Foods is 2 miles from my work, so I'm not spending 45 minutes each way just driving there. It is a great store, but if you can get quality healthy foods closer to you home, then I wouldn't make a special trip.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Some things are WAY more expensive and others are not. I go there mainly for things I cant get other places. I would not buy cleaners, paper goods or hygeine items there. You can find eco friendly items in those catagories elsewhere for way cheaper. I do like their bulk bins for flour, grains etc. Also they have a lot of spices you can buy in bulk and they are much cheaper. Like if I have a recepie that calls for something but I dont have the spice, I can buy only that amountI need and not have a whole jar I may never use. I even buy sea salt and ground pepper this way. ANd their fish and meats are good quality, but you pay for it for sure. It is worth at least checking it out. And they do take coupons!
  • harmony223
    harmony223 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They are a little more pricey but you should be able to fit them in your budget. Like she said above, you can buy the Whole Foods Brand "365".
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options

Yes, I am! (:

I keep looking for people who live in or near OKC. Too bad you don't live in OKC, I could use a walking buddy. I hope Whole Foods turns out to be a good place.
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You mean WHOLE PAYCHECK??? :laugh: Your budget definitely sounds doable! I prefer smaller markets because I don't like crazy crowds. Our WF is always packed. But they have a great selection of things you won't find at other markets. But, then they are over priced on some items. I paid 2x as much for eggs, as I do for the same exact eggs at a smaller organic market. They do have their own store brand and those prices are usually very reasonable as well.
  • oktg
    oktg Posts: 13
    Options
    They are a little more pricey but you should be able to fit them in your budget. Like she said above, you can buy the Whole Foods Brand "365".

agreed. the 365 brands are great and are usually organic. worth the money if you ask me, especially for the quality youre getting
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I shop there regularly, but do not buy things there that I can find elsewhere. I go there for things that I cannot find at my nearby redneck WalMart. :wink: Grocery shopping was complicated for me before I became vegan. Since being vegan ... nothing has changed. I make my list and go to Whole Foods first. It's the farthest away and most expensive. I'll get things there like specialty seasonings (my redneck WalMart definitely doesn't carry za'atar or sumac, for example), sprouted tofu, bulk items like raw cashews, quinoa, and flax seed. Then I go to Target. Then the fruit stand where I am usually commented on for all my fruits and veggies. Last is WalMart because I hate it so.
  • nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We buy most of our food at Whole Foods. The rest is bought in bulk elsewhere (like wheat) and our milk is delivered. There's just 3 of us: me, my husband and toddler daughter. I really don't know the monthly totals. We switched because we were sick of all the processed garbage taking up space in normal grocery stores and we didn't want to be feeding our daughter junk. Plus I made all her babyfood so we wanted to go the organic route.

As for prices, they're more expensive but for us the healthy aspect is worth it. We buy produce, some bulk bin items (like oatmeal), meat, eggs, juice and cereal. We get as much organic as we can. I'd say for buying healthy foods, its definitely worth the price!

ETA: We also garden and go to our farmer's market
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    One of my friends worked there for 4 years in undergrad and used to joke that people called it "Whole Paycheck". It can be pricey if you're not careful. I've found that the grains (eg. quinoa) are decently priced because they're in bulk and there is a HUGE selection. They definitely have everything you could imagine for special dietary concerns - lactose-free, gluten-free, low-fat, etc. Compared to your local grocer's the meat and produce is more expensive. They have a coupon flyer at the entrance to every store I've been in and you can use that, along with internet coupons from specific brands, to save some $$$.

The 365 brand is the store's brand so all of those products are cheaper. They're a bit more pricey than generic supermarket but if you require organic or have special dietary concerns, then go for it. If not, I find that most of what they sell can be found in your local grocer's. People can get tripped up thinking that organic means lower in fat or calories so beware.

PS: If you have a sweet tooth, I recommend the Late July cookies. They're not exactly kale and spinach with tuna but they're delicious and have a small bit less carbs, calories, sodium and sugar than Oreos.
  • We finally got a WHOLE FOODS MARKET about 30-45ish minutes away from me. Are they priced reasonably? I want to check it out but don't want to waste a trip if they are ridiculously priced (Like many healthier foods can be). I have a$650-$700/month food budget for 2 adults and 2 kids. Is it do-able with WHOLE FOODS MARKET?

Yes, I am! (:

I keep looking for people who live in or near OKC. Too bad you don't live in OKC, I could use a walking buddy. I hope Whole Foods turns out to be a good place.
    (: We're moving back to OKC soon! Not sure when exactly but we're working on it!
  • grace1611
    Options
    What are whole foods? I though that means fruit veg meat and fish , and seeds and grains that you can get in any supermarket.Someone educate me please.:embarassed:
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE Whole Foods. I used to shop at Wal Mart and have since converted. I found it all balances out money wise. I buy mostly the 365 brand when available that way the little more pricey meat fits in the budget. Buying better meat is so worth it...whole foods chicken is NOTHING like the junk you can get elsewhere.

Check their website for coupons, they have GREAT ones! Also, get on their emailing list, they'll usually email once a week with a surprise/unadvertised deal for that Friday or Saturday. I had recently gotten an email for $1/pound ground beef---that's a huge savings!

I love whole foods. You can make your budget work...might have to adjust a few things and utilize the coupons, but you can definitely do it!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I LOVE Whole Foods and shop there for all my fresh foods: meats, veggies, breads, dairy, etc. I save my other shopping for Trader Joes and Safeway (soaps, processed food, etc) and am able to stay in my budget.

After reading Michael Pollan's book Food Rules and realizing how little Americans spend to eat "real food" (less than 10% of income which is the lowest in the nation) I made a commitment to eat out less and spend my money for good, organic, whole food. Food rule #44 is: Pay more, eat less!!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love Whole Foods, but it is quite expensive overall. Some of their bulk bin items, 365 brand, and dried legumes, rice, and beans are very reasonably priced... but if I had to shop there for everything, I'd be broke. I prefer Trader Joe's since they have a great organic selection and are far more reasonably priced.