pop or soda???

Options

Replies

• Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was born in Oregon and we call it pop there. But now I live in Maine and they call it soda. My mom actually went in to a grocery store when we moved to Maine and asked where their pop machines were and they looked at her like they didn't have a clue what she was talking about lol. They told her they didn't have any and we walked outside and they were right there haha. I say soda a lot now but every once in awhile I still call it pop. My grandma told me she went to a gas station once here in Maine and asked where their pop was and the lady said he was out back LOL.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm originally Missouri and I've always said "pop". Now I live in Washington State and it's still "pop". I also say "breakfast, dinner and supper" for the morning, noon and evening meals. I refuse to conform! :bigsmile:
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    i live in michigan and i'm one of the few who say soda.

Yay! It wasn't just me! I grew up in Michigan and always said soda. It was annoying to go to a restaraunt and order a diet soda and they would have no idea what you were saying. I always thought pop sounded weird, but I was the only one I knew who said soda. Now I live in New Mexico and feel better 'cause everyone here says soda.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Born & raised in PA; now living in Reno, NV...it is soda. I called my grandfathers "Pop"...so refering to soda that way always seemed weird to me.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm originally Missouri and I've always said "pop". Now I live in Washington State and it's still "pop". I also say "breakfast, dinner and supper" for the morning, noon and evening meals. I refuse to conform! :bigsmile:

the dinner and supper thing is sooo weird to me!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    In Canada, we say pop.

Pepsi is a swear word in my house. Diet Coke ROCKS!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    neither! we call it a coke where Im from lol
  • Hattie2879
    Options
    In Texas, everything is a Coke.

Waitress: What would you like to drink?

Texan: Coke

Waitress: What kind?

Texan: Dr Pepper

If anyone says soda or pop its a dead give away that they're not a native Texan.

That's not actually true. Most people I encounter say soda and then specify what kind. And I am a native Texan. :smile: Maybe you're from a different part of Texas though...
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Pop, or sometimes fizzy pop. Soda to me refers to soda water. I live in the UK.

When my other half used to promote bands, he brought over a few American bands this one time and took them to an all you can eat Chinese place. One of the guys in a band got really annoyed when he asked for soda and got a glass of soda water. Like, overly annoyed with what was a fairly easy mistake to make. But that's because he was a mega d**k.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pop all the way. Did a research paper on soft drinks, technically, its called soda water, or soda pop, so both are right. In michigan, its pop, we look strangely at people who say soda (unless its Jones Soda, which pretty much anything that comes in a glass is recognized as soda); and we make fun of people who call all flavors/brands of pop coke
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    There's a map for that.

Pop-vs-Soda-US-Map.mediumthumb.gif

This is a topic I've discussed with friends at length in the past.

This just confirms that you really can find everything on the internet.

I'm Canadian, I say pop. I'm actually surprised that so many Americans use pop too. I thought you all said soda. :-P Not sure what they call it in Quebec...
  • lojoend
    lojoend Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ......... we make fun of people who call all flavors/brands of pop coke

I'm from Houston, Texas and we say Coke for all drinks and we make fun of people who say soda or pop. :P It's no different than saying Kleenex for tissue or Q-Tip for cotton swab....In the south, Coke is a carbonated beverage no matter what the brand. :D
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm from Pennsylvania. Its "soda".
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    ......... we make fun of people who call all flavors/brands of pop coke

I'm from Houston, Texas and we say Coke for all drinks and we make fun of people who say soda or pop. :P It's no different than saying Kleenex for tissue or Q-Tip for cotton swab....In the south, Coke is a carbonated beverage no matter what the brand. :D

Interesting comparison! It totally makes sense to me.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm with Juliecat1 - I'm in Southern Indiana and everything is Coke.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

the dinner and supper thing is sooo weird to me!

I stayed with my parents for a couple weeks before moving down here, and my mom told me they were going out to dinner on a Sunday with my grandmother, so I assumed the later meal of the day. They were out to church, and were out pretty late, but when they got home I asked what time dinner was. I was kind of shocked when my mother told me that I missed it. It was only like 2pm... Come to find out, my mother has conformed to this "breakfast, dinner, supper" thing... wtf

I'm from western NY, where it's "pop" but I always thought that sounded stupid so I call it "soda".
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I knew I had signed over to insanity when i started saying pop...not soda. I am from Arizona now living in Minnesota.

I am one step closer to sounding like I am from Fargo.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    All carbonated beverages are "Coke". Period, end of discussion.:smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Pop - Canada
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    There's a map for that.

Pop-vs-Soda-US-Map.mediumthumb.gif

This is a topic I've discussed with friends at length in the past.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!