Does Weight Play Into Job Interview Success?

Options
Does having good looks and being in shape matter when getting a job?

I think so.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of work field. But yes, unfortunately I think it does play into the hiring process.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I TOTALLY think so....it's sad but true!!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's against the law for it to matter... but I interview people where I work, and it TOTALLY matters!
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I totally think so.....
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Not only weight but looks in general.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be against the law...but it is so true! In fact I just recently read an article about hiring interviews. Now this is not my opinion, but they say that men will most likely hire either other men, or women they find attractive even if there are others that are better qualified. I wish I could remember where I read this and I would post the link....it's sad but true. There are so many laws against it (I'm a business major so I know all these fun little laws LOL), but it can be very hard to prove when it happens.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Not only weight but looks in general.

^^^ That
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think so. Looks, how you hold yourself, your level of self-assurance, all of these impact the first impression you make on someone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

I think so.

Your thoughts?
    It shouldn't but I think it does. Especially if the job consists of long hours and 6-7 day work weeks. Overweight people are assumed to get sick more, so it can hamper being hired by a company works this way.
  • Tantrisis
    Options
    I applied for a job at my local bakery, and I am sure I did not get called back for an intervew because of my weight. people may associate my weight with all the goodies they are selling. The baker was her self slim and trim so sad but true, and probably a good thing that I am not working around cakes and paistries all day.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to ask . Of course it does
  • louise_608
    louise_608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, and I really think it does make a massive difference. And I also think it makes a difference with who's on the panel. I really do think size and image make a huge difference.
  • kathytexas
    Options
    It can depend on what kind of job/field you are applying for, but I also think it makes a difference.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I think so.

Your thoughts?
    It shouldn't but I think it does. Especially if the job consists of long hours and 6-7 day work weeks. Overweight people are assumed to get sick more, so it can hamper being hired by a company works this way.

And how do you keep your shape and good looks if you work long hours and 6-7 days work weeks?
  • It SHOULDN'T...but I think often times it goes play a role..