Coffee

Options
I am just wondering if anyone quit coffee and found it helped them to lose weight. I am well what can I say an avid drinker of coffee. I love it. Sometimes I drink 4-5 cups a day. However I have heard that cutting out can help weight loss.
Any opinions/suggestions??

Replies

• monicakelly21
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone quit coffee and found it helped them to lose weight. I am well what can I say an avid drinker of coffee. I love it. Sometimes I drink 4-5 cups a day. However I have heard that cutting out can help weight loss.
    Any opinions/suggestions??
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all coffee and regulat tea. I notice I sleep better. It was hard at first, but after 3 days, it was ok. I do drink a lot of green tea.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same!!! I probably drink more than that, today 6 cups. And I feel like having some right now and it is going to be 8pm!!! I am truly addicted. I would love to hear from others as well. I have been losing weight anyways and I drink a lot of water, usually 15 cups or more. I think I read something in the past regarding insulin levels in coffee drinkers etc and how it gives you cravings but this site is helping me watch my calories anyways. Thanks!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Coffee on its own has no calories, and is a stimulant, so it would actually increase the rate of work in your body, resulting in more calories burnt. However, if you put in a lot of milk and sugar, then it becomes a problem. I drink a lot of coffee, but use just a packet of splenda and 1/4 cup of fat free milk, which fits easily into my calories.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I have cut my coffee back from 32 oz first thing in the morning to 16 oz mid-morning. I try to eliminate caffeine after noon.

However I am reading that caffeine in moderation can spark up your work out
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I've had close to 4 cups so far. I only put 1/2 of the little packet of splenda and 1 tsp (10cals) of coffee creamer per 2 cups. I use this big cup that fits 2 cups of coffee at a time. I love coffee. I am from Puerto Rico and we are heavy coffee drinkers. I started drinking coffee in my early teens. I just told myself this morning that I am just going to allow myself all the coffee that is brewed in the morning and not make more throughout the day nor drink any at work. That will help out a little. WISH ME LUCK!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee. I hated life when I was over in England, they know their tea, but their coffee is brutal. Thank GOD I found a starbucks on the way into London. You can string me up and torture me all you want, but take my coffee away and we will be fighting! I can drink it any old way, black, with cream, with sugar, with splenda, with milk. It doesn't matter, it's the smell, and that rich, delicious, first sip that I crave! (wow, I'm a little insane I think:noway: )
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow Banks, I thought I was the only one!!!
    The only time coffee has ever been unappealing to me is right when I found out I was pregnant with my first child... I worked at Starbucks and one day I walked in and had to walk right back out. I didn't go back until after my first trimester. Yes, it was a 2nd job.

Now, Coffee is my first thought in the morning. Yum!
    Angela
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can string me up and torture me all you want, but take my coffee away and we will be fighting! I can drink it any old way, black, with cream, with sugar, with splenda, with milk. It doesn't matter, it's the smell, and that rich, delicious, first sip that I crave! (wow, I'm a little insane I think:noway: )

Big bump to this!!
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I love everything about it - grinding the beans in the morning, smelling it while it brews, the feel of the mug in my hand, the first sip...etc.
    For years I drank it with half and half and splenda but on January 14 when I started using MFP I took the huge (well, for me it was huge) step of drinking black coffee. I figure that the 60-100 calories a day (did I mention I drank WHITE coffee?) I was wasting on half and half would be better spent on solid food. Now I drink it black with occasional "treats" of half and half every 2-4 weeks.

When I go visit my future M-I-L, we *will* go to the Original House of Pancakes where they serve it with full-fat heavy cream (gasp!) and I *will* put that in my coffee. It doesn't get any better than that.

Ok, yes, I have a problem. Thank you for listening. :happy:
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Java, coffee, crack, cup-o joe.... call it what you want.. it's my daily fix!

M-F I do regulate it to 1 travel mug (about 12 oz) a day, but on the weekends, I'll drink it a couple of times per day.......

You can take away the fries... but get your hands off my coffee bub!
  • banks1850
    Options
    LOL! kindred spirits. I LOVE it!
    :laugh:
  • tschaedel79
    Options
    I am in agreement. I can't live without my coffee. I only have 2 cups in the morning to get me going during the week. Weekends I drink it more frequently.
    Prior to dieting I used flavored creamer. I said I wouldnt give up coffee but I'd give up my creamer. AHHH! I thought I was gonna go nuts! But I found these things by splenda called Flavors For Coffee
    I have used the caramel ones (yum) they also come in cinnamon spice... hazelnut... mocha and french vanilla. They come 30 sticks/packets to a box and run between 2.50 and 3 bucks... LIFE SAVERS... best part....
    calories-0
    fat-0
    sodium-0
    total carb.- less than 1g
    If you like flavored coffee... give em a try!
  • monicakelly21
    Options
    Well I am glad to find more coffee lover's out there. yes and I agree the bean grinding, the smell, the taste...it makes my mornings so much more worth while. Yes, maybe I am a little obbssessive but I reall yjust enjoy it. I ussually onlt put milk in it...buta maybe I will try it black. I let you know what happens.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've cut back seriously. . .because I like half and half in my coffee, and I've tried healthier options, but it's not gonna work for me.

So, I have one cup in the am. When I have a particularly long day, I'll have a skinny latte from the Starbucks down the street. Or the other Starbucks down the street. Or the other Starbucks down a little and across the street. (ah, the joys of city living)
  • banks1850
    Options
    Viv, you reminded me of a quote from Lewis Black:

"...and if you walk to the end of the block, there sits a Starbucks. And directly across the street -- in the exact same building as that Starbucks -- there is... another Starbucks. There is a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks! And ladies and gentlemen, THAT is the end of the universe." - Lewis Black

here is the clip if you wanna watch it, it is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iMgSNrwv4
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I have a commercial grade espresso machine :blushing: I spend about 220 calories on lattes each day. Worth every dollar and calorie. I also think of it as a way to get my calcium and protein.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Viv, you reminded me of a quote from Lewis Black:

"...and if you walk to the end of the block, there sits a Starbucks. And directly across the street -- in the exact same building as that Starbucks -- there is... another Starbucks. There is a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks! And ladies and gentlemen, THAT is the end of the universe." - Lewis Black

here is the clip if you wanna watch it, it is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iMgSNrwv4

For the record, that spot exists at Yonge and Eglinton, about a kilometre from my apartment! There's one on one side of Yonge, one on the other side of Yonge, and one if you turn around and face Eglinton. Seriously.:noway:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Fresh brewed coffee is full of antioxidants, the catch is you should drink it within 20 minutes of brewing it for the best benefit.

I worked in the coffee biz for 11 years and I can tell you that coffee is like many other foods or beverages out there, it has it's own pros and cons. If you enjoy your coffee and you must have it account for the calories of the sugar and cream or milk. The coffee has very little calories (5 cals for every 16 ounces).

My recommendation is to eat something and have your coffee after you have eatten. The reason cutting coffee out helps some dieters is because a lot of people drink 2-3 cups of coffee first thing in the morning and then lunch time hits and their body is screaming for some real nurishment, and then we tend to overeat.

Hydrate in the early am, yes, water water water, you will be surprised how much a glass of water can actually help wake you up. With that water have something for breakfast and then have your coffee, this will help you to not overeat later in the day.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love my morning ritual of coffee. However, I only drink ONE mug (good sized mug) with 1 tsp of cream and splenda. That revs me up and keeps me going. Once in a blue moon I will treat myself to a skinny latte at Starbucks as well.

BUT, before I allow myself the coffee, I drink 24 ounces of water first thing in the morning. It is good for me and is sort of a great start to the day and my goal of drinking at least 72 ounces of water a day. And, I feel like I have sort of earned my coffee that way too.

Anyway, I think ANYTHING in moderation is the important thing. I love my morning time. Sipping my one mug of coffee while my son plays. By the time the coffee is gone, I am awake and ready to start my day with JT! :)
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have learned to drink my coffee almost black. I add a splash of 2% milk simply because coffee is HOT and I wanna drink it NOW!! Its the only thing I dont add to my diary an a regular basis because that tablespoon of milk has what 10 calories? And I know I burn that tapping my fingers and pacing waiting for the coffee pot to finish!:laugh: I could never give it up. Its the only thing that gets me going in the morning.