Getting on the scales

Options
Hi,I was wondering how often should I be weighing myself.Is it wise to weigh every day,once a weeK?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Your weight fluctuates so much that weight daily will be pointless.
  • stupidthick5150
    Options
    i weight myself once every three to seven days if you weigh everyday you might get discouraged I like it when i haven't weighed myself in a while and see that i lost a lot of weight I get so excited :)
  • Hoffy1
    Hoffy1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks,I know I will be tempted to check everyday,but will try and wait a week.New to this and praying for sucess.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I weight myself daily, but only log it into MFP on Tuesday mornings.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    once a week
    once a month

it can get VERY addicting to weigh in
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Just a hint - choose Monday or Tuesday as your weigh-in day. I personally find that this encourages me to do better on the weekends (which are always hard!)
  • filmfanatic29
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I used to weigh in every day (or a couple times a day) and it drove me crazy! Your weight can fluctuate so once a week is working out well for me so far
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week but only log it once a week.
  • rebeccapri
    rebeccapri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself daily (just to check up on myself) but "officially" weigh myself once a week. If I see the number has gone up when I'm weighing myself daily it tends to encourage me to work harder. Good luck to you!!
  • tiffany4183
    Options
    i WEIGH DAILY;) IF MY WEIGHT FLUCTUATES I JUST OVERLOOK IT AND WEIGH THE NEXT DAY. I LOOK FORWARD TO JUMPING ON THE SCALE EVERY MORNING.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The MOST accurate weight measurement is 3 days after your time of the month starts.. Keep that in mind... Throughout the month your hormone and water retention will fluctuate your weight but usually only 3 lbs up and down.. I weigh myself every day to keep myself in check with the 3 lb fluctuation in mind.. I don't get discouraged by THAT because it is normal..but if it went up a lot, I know I need to watch and be more diligent about my exercise and eating, sodium intake and water drinking. Good Luck! : )
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    I have to weigh myself daily to stay on top of things. There was a period of time when we were crazy busy, father-in-law in the hospital, etc., and I wasn't weighing in except once a week or so, and I gained 22 pounds!!! Not cool. Weighing every morning at the same time keeps me honest. The others' comments are correct, though, that your weight does fluctuate a lot from time to time and day to day, so I keep that in mind. It's just easier for me not to let a 3 pound gain become 6 by the next week if I check every day.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Bottomline: Do what works for you. And if you are exercising and not going over your calories it WILL work so be encouraged. You can do this!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Once a week would be ok, do it first thing in the morning with an empty stomach. It would be nicer to weigh yourself every 2-3 weeks in the beginning because the longer you wait to weigh yourself, the more weight you will lose with exercise and the more gratified you will feel! In contrast, if you weigh yourself every Sunday, you might find yourself losing about 1-2lbs which is absolutely normal, it just seems that it would take forever but hang in there!! you will achieve your goal in no time!
  • staceyteter
    staceyteter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are one an 11 week weight loss program together. We have 6 days of 1200 calories and one free day. We have chosen to weigh first thing Friday mornings, since our free day is typically during the weekend. You should always weigh when you first wake up before you eat anything. Make sure you weigh on the same scale and with the same amount of clothes on. Don't get discouraged if you end up putting a few pounds back on instead of loosing them one week, just hit the ground running and push harder that week to get back on track! Good Luck and you will do great!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter in the slightest. You wont gain weight if you weigh too often!

The general practice is to record your weight once a week, in exactly the same clothes/time/place/scale each week. Many of us weigh ourselves every morning, just out of curiosity, but only record it once a week.
  • kimmimac64
    Options
    Love the goals!!! I like the idea of setting little goals and rewards along the way!