New Year, New You: Week 1

Options
Good morning! I know it's Wednesday and I should've posted this earlier in the week, but I want to thank everyone who has joined this challenge with me. As of this morning we are at 80 members which exceeds any expectations I ever had! I am in the middle of a Halloween challenge (Costume Changers) which will take me right up to Halloween, but not through it. It got me to thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years and all of the food that comes with those holidays. I needed something to get me through it. I started to get very excited when I started getting people joining...and then when we had enough to move it up a week I was ecstatic. Now, we've officially started. We will still have more people joining I'm sure...considering I had 10 new members join yesterday. There are still people who are waiting to start on Monday, the original start date...but I calculated the goal loss...and if we all were to lose our goal percentage...just the ones who have entered weights...we will lose 985 pounds. That is a HUGE! I was baffled. There are still quite a few people who haven't entered there stats because they are starting next week.

I also totally love that there are people from all heights and weights out there. For some, this challenge will get them near their goal. For others (ME) it's just a drop in the bucket. For me, if I can lose the 8%, it will get me to the lowest I have been since having gastric bypass...and it will get me to a point where I have 100 pounds to lose. That would be quite an accomplishment for me.

I posted a mini-challenge for week one regarding food. We will post a mini-challenge each week...this should help us get through the next 13 weeks. They aren't required...just trying to help keep people focused. I know I need it! If anyone is interested in created a challenge, please let me know. I would love volunteers to come up with them. The challenge can be food, weight or work-out related. It's up to you. Just let me know and I'll add you to the list. We'll post mini-challenges on Mondays...so I'll assign people who volunteer a week. We definitely can use these as a tool to get us through. Here's the link for the week 1 mini http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/364844-new-year-new-you-week-1-mini-challenge just copy and paste it into your browser.

So, how's everyone's week going? What is your motivation to do the challenge? What's your inspiration? How are the first couple of days going?

Replies

• freeofweight
    Options
    Can I still join? I'd love to be a part of this!
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This week is going ok up to yet.....we are getting ready to move house on the weekend so unfortunately not as commited as I would like to be but I always have the challenge in the back of my mind to keep me on the straight and narrow! Thank you so much for doing this.....the challenge will take me down to a weight I haven't been for years, not quite goal weight but enough to start making me feel much better about myself! :)
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Can I still join? I'd love to be a part of this!

Most definitely! I will send you a friend request and the link to the spreadsheet. You can either enter your current weight now or wait until Monday...I'll leave it up to you! It's a long challenge so you have plenty of time to do this!

Welcome to the club!!!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    This week is going ok up to yet.....we are getting ready to move house on the weekend so unfortunately not as commited as I would like to be but I always have the challenge in the back of my mind to keep me on the straight and narrow! Thank you so much for doing this.....the challenge will take me down to a weight I haven't been for years, not quite goal weight but enough to start making me feel much better about myself! :)

I'm sure you'll do great getting through the weekend. As long as your conscious about your food that will help you out immensely. Moving is a LOT of exercise! You can do this! I can't wait to go through this with you and see your progress!!!
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This challenge sounds so motivating - can i join to?
  • freeofweight
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I added my info!
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So far this week I've been pretty good on tracking but I do need to get my miles in. I have slacked off on my working out but I'm going to get it together since that's the only way to reach my goal.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been good and have been getting exercise in each day even if it's bits and pieces, like hiding in the ladies room to get lunges and squats in. I'm in Beth's Toning Angels group also, which gives us an exercise to do each day. With that challenge and this one combined I'm gonna rock it. I am afraid that I will start building muscle so I will gain weight, but if the body fat number goes down (I've been stuck at 27% for 2 months now) I will be happy. I'm hoping to get my body fat down to 21% by year end. This huge support group should help me accomplish that goal.

If anyone in the group wants to add me as a friend while we work through this, feel free. I will warn you I speak the truth, so if you post your diary and you are eatting at Taco Bell everyday and going over on your fat, calories, etc... I will let you know. On the other hand, if you exercised and did good eatting for the day, I'm going to let you know what a fantastic job you are doing!
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all! How's everyone's week 1 going? I had a fantastic long walk on the beach on Monday (had Columbus Day off), but having a hard time going for my lunchtime walks this week because I'm in the middle of an audit at work. I did get on the stationary bike for a few minutes last night before I made dinner. It's one of the bikes that has things to exercise your arms too and I get all tired out after about 15 minutes. :p

I tried a new recipe last night (mini challenge!) and it came out awesome. It was a pasta and vegetable curry. I'll post the recipe later, as it's at home in my cookbook. :)
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Doing good so far on food/calories but I have not been walking. I'm doing other exercise; kinda burnt out on the walking for the time being so I am trying to mix it up a little. I think tonight may be a rest night for me, have not been getting a lot of sleep (I have a teething 10 month old) the past few nights. :yawn: :yawn: Hope everyone has a great first week!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Morning All!

I have also slacked on my miles. Food wise I feel like I am doing pretty well though. Maybe we can alternate between food and workout related mini challenges? Since its food this week, maybe a jumping jack or lunge challenge the next?

I haven't been to the gym in a week. I am so sick, I slept 12 hours last night! I'm going to walk at lunch though and see if that helps.
  • kimmysue
    kimmysue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So far this week is going well. I am definitely making better choices when it comes to what I eat. This weekend will be a bit of a challenge because I will be at a scrapbooking retreat. The meals are provided--so I wont have a huge choice of what I can eat. But, I will be mindful of portion sizes and plan on taking healthy snacks with me. Looking forward to our first weigh in too!
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well, I got my 2 miles in on Monday and then haven't done a thing since. :-P Yesterday was a baaad day. But I'm about to take my little guy for a walk on the nature trail. That's 3/4 of a mile. If he cooperates (big if) I can do the trail 2 or 3 times. If not, I can get one turn done and then fill in the rest during the rest of the day. I have to make up yesterday's too, though. Ugh.
  • cntrymama2x
    Options
    I would love to join. Please send me a request so that I can particiapte. I need as much motivation as I can get. =)
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Got a ton of miles in in Tuesday, and after a sneak peak at the scale this morning I am totally motivated.

My husband just offered me a HUGE caramel apple covered in nuts and I ran for the other room to jump on MFP! I'm still not ruling out a quick trip to the gym either! So glad to be a part of this challenge - especially when facing caramel apples!
  • SFH58
    SFH58 Posts: 10
    Options
    Can you send me a friend request please? I'd love to be apart of your blog group!
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I pretty much started this today and it's already going great! I'm a little bit worried about this weekend since I am working all weekend and it's extremely hard for me to eat the right amount of calories and not the junk food at work (I work at a bar and grille). But I will be taking my pedometer with me because I know I'll get a lot of miles in at work!
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Diversity is certainly the name of the game in this group! This is my first MFP challenge. I just joined a little over two weeks ago. I had to get some extra guidance from Gretchen to get to the spreadsheet. Before I opened it I was a bit intimidated about putting in my goal weight. Looking at some of the profile pictures, I thought "Some of these women will probably laugh when they see my weight. Some of them look like they only have 15-20 pounds to lose."

Boy, was I surprised! We certainly run the spectrum in terms of our initial weigh-in. The lowest 8% to lose as of the 90th person being entered is just over 10 pounds. Some people have a lot more, including me. I thought it was interesting that another person and I have the same starting weight and same 8% goal weight, but the actual 8% numbers are 3/10s of a point different. LOL!

For me, the numbers game can be dangerous in some ways. I've read about how we should throw away our scales and just rely on the fit of our clothes, etc. I've spent too much of my life judging myself by the number of pounds I weighed. Now I know that being overweight is NOT a character defect! And, the best way for me to lose weight is to do it lovingly.

Before I go, let me share a book that has definitely helped inspire me to find myfitnesspal.com after I got my new Droid phone. It's called "The Self-Compassion Diet," by Jean Fain. Google that and you can read some of the reviews. I read it twice and have taken a few of the techniques to "sculpt" my current plan. The idea that she stressed that most moved me in the MFP direction was the idea of getting support. I've been involved in 12-step recovery for a long time. (Feel free to ask me about it). And I quit smoking 8 months ago by participating in an online voice-chat group of Nicotine Anonymous. But Overeaters Anonymous, which I tried a few years ago, just wasn't right for me. I think it's because for me it's hard to do multiple 12-step groups. Right now I actively participate in two, and that's enough! (By the way, I think OA is a terrific program.)

Anyway, I know I cannot do this alone. I do believe in the spiritual principles of recovery and the importance of having a Higher Power to make this journey. But what's every bit as important for me is having LIKEMINDED PEOPLE WHO SHARE THE JOURNEY! That means YOU! I need to share your ups and downs.

I guess I forgot to mention that the comment on my MFP Mobile home page that reads"Diet with friends to lose up to 3X more" was the primary motivator for getting involved in this online community! I don't have any face-to-face friends that I'd want to do this with, so here I am with you and this great challenge.

Apologies for taking up so much space, but sometimes when I get started writing it's hard to stop. Thanks for letting me share.

Beth
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    Got a ton of miles in in Tuesday, and after a sneak peak at the scale this morning I am totally motivated.

My husband just offered me a HUGE caramel apple covered in nuts and I ran for the other room to jump on MFP! I'm still not ruling out a quick trip to the gym either! So glad to be a part of this challenge - especially when facing caramel apples!

Great job avoiding the caramel apple. My husband has finally (and boy do I mean finally) realized that I'm trying really hard and so he's laying off on bringing home too much junk. He's getting there!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I pretty much started this today and it's already going great! I'm a little bit worried about this weekend since I am working all weekend and it's extremely hard for me to eat the right amount of calories and not the junk food at work (I work at a bar and grille). But I will be taking my pedometer with me because I know I'll get a lot of miles in at work!

Definitely have the pedometer...mine is on me all the time! It'll be great just to help keep you going!