PALEO

Options
Im considering trying a paleo diet, but I wanted to get some input from people who have done/are doing it. if i start it, i dont intend for it to be short-term

first of all, how expensive is it? what would you guess you spend per week? i find that the healthier you eat, the more expensive things get.

also, do you follow it to a T, or do you sometimes cook with things like worcestershire, honey, beef or chicken stock, or other sauces? do you drink at all? also, if you drink or indulge (the holidays are coming) is there serious repurcussions? does your body hate sugar/alcohol when youre eating that clean?

finally - what have your results been with it? do you feel healthier and more fit?

any input would be greatly appreciated, maybe even youre favoite paleo recipe! :))

Replies

• HunterCML
    Options
    Paleo is silly and in no way advantageous to any other calorie restrictive diet.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Paleo is silly and in no way advantageous to any other calorie restrictive diet.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    for any reason in paritcular? or...?
  • smd819882
    Options
    I eat Gluten Free becuase of allergy reasons and Ciliac disease. I have a friend who tried to go Paleo and she has celiac too but she loves wine and was unable to do it. She was very good and then had wine and she does not feel a difference at all between GF and Paleo. Just a food for thought.
    GF is more expensive if you want to have the bread and all the starchy carbs. There are alternate grains like Quinoa and brown rice to your starches. I guess just buying fresh veggies, fruit, meat and getting creative with recipes.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
  • HunterCML
    Options

Body weight and composition is a function of daily energy intake/expenditure balance. Once you realize the scientific principles and laws behind that simple statement, you will realize that the micro-analysis people put on the specific short term intake/oxidation/storage of macronutrients (often referred to as "clean eating"), is largely irrelevant in the context of daily nutrition. Meaning specific food choices do not directly impact body wight and composition.

Why would you want to engage in a diet based on restrictive principals that has no actual advantage over a sensibly created one?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've never heard paleo referred to as clean eating... it's typically low to no carbs, very, very heavy on the meat (proteins) but even beans aren't allowed on the original site, which is a wonderful source of a healthy protein. So for myself the diet doesn't make a lot of sense in situation such as that.

I only know what I've read and I personally don't feel taking out certain food groups completely such as veggies, fruit, dairy, legumes etc. to be the most healthy thing to do unless suggested by your Dietitian or Doctor for medical reasons.

I feel veggies/fruit is very nutritious so it's not likely I'll switch over to all protein. Too much protein can cause tremendous issues to the kidneys, plus our body needs carbs to fuel it, like a car.

It's likely you'll get many thoughts on this topic, mine isn't intended to be negative but more something I feel personally for myself from all that I've read on it and members describing what they are doing while on it.

Some members are very much into it, quite sure the search engine is full of threads on the topic.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: After reading the other posters input, I realize I may be mixing up Primal with Paleo so I might not have been much help.

Amazed at the less than helpful comments and just plain rudeness by repeating the same comment over and over again now by several different members. Perhaps there's a full moon out?

To the OP, hopefully you'll find the info you're seeking in a more helpful way as more see the thread and are able to share their experiences of being on it.

All the best......
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    For what reason is it no better than other calorie restrictive diets?

Because it doesn't provide any additional benefits that can't be attained through a diet that matches it for calories/macronutrients/micronutrients while still incorporating gluten, lactose, etc.

As the other poster mentioned - if you have an intolerance to something, then it's very beneficial to go paleo. But if you don't have an intolerance, then don't think that cutting non-paleo foods out of your diet will do anything extra.
  • fjschmoozer
    Options
  • alyssalanet
    Options

^^ That's a silly thought.

I basically live a "revised" Paleo lifestyle. Revised in the sense that I eat ice cream occasionally and if I REALLY want a piece of bread I will eat it.

I think you can definitely work the idea of Paleo to benefit your specific lifestyle. For me, I can't live without ice cream and popcorn on occasion.

But basically I live off of fruits and veggies, and proteins. The natural fats in all seriousness do amazing things for my energy and strength levels. I've trained Strongman(woman) : ) for the past 2 years and have only benefited from the natural energy that is given to me through the fruits and fats I'm eating.

It's fairly cost friendly, as you can plan ahead at home and buy what is on sale at the grocery store.

I believe that everyone's Paleo can look different, but have same idea. Cut out the processed crap and live off of the natural goodness that is within our reach.

Just my opinion and what I've seen in my life, many people (strength athletes, World's Strongest Men) that follow the Paleo lifestyle and see nothing but progress.

The key, recognize what your "vices" are in your diet i.e. the things you can't do without..and work them into your everyday life. Paleo isn't a fad, it's a lifestyle for it to work properly.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    really, thanks for all resposting the first comment 4 times, i promise i can read.

for those that actually input - thanks.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

I basically live a "revised" Paleo lifestyle. Revised in the sense that I eat ice cream occasionally and if I REALLY want a piece of bread I will eat it.

I think you can definitely work the idea of Paleo to benefit your specific lifestyle. For me, I can't live without ice cream and popcorn on occasion.

But basically I live off of fruits and veggies, and proteins. The natural fats in all seriousness do amazing things for my energy and strength levels. I've trained Strongman(woman) : ) for the past 2 years and have only benefited from the natural energy that is given to me through the fruits and fats I'm eating.

It's fairly cost friendly, as you can plan ahead at home and buy what is on sale at the grocery store.

I believe that everyone's Paleo can look different, but have same idea. Cut out the processed crap and live off of the natural goodness that is within our reach.

Just my opinion and what I've seen in my life, many people (strength athletes, World's Strongest Men) that follow the Paleo lifestyle and see nothing but progress.

The key, recognize what your "vices" are in your diet i.e. the things you can't do without..and work them into your everyday life. Paleo isn't a fad, it's a lifestyle for it to work properly.
    And not a single so-called advantage specific to the paleo diet was posted that day...
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Some great recipes at nomnompaleo.com.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do your own research and don't pay attention to someone's opinion on a message board that has nothing to do with your question. What might seem silly to some is highly recommended for others.

I eat Primal, not Paleo and my registered dietician who works with diabetics and my doctor both put me on it. I don't eat grains of any kind or sugar or any processed foods.

I do cook with beef or chicken broth. I use honey sometimes. I eat meat of all kinds, veggies and some fruit as well as fat. I use butter and eat cheese, but that's the only dairy. For dinner tonight I had grilled top sirloin and grilled asparagus that was tossed with olive oil, Italian seasonings and garlic. For breakfast I had eggs scrambled in butter with diced tomato, onion, bell pepper and bacon. For lunch I had half an apple with a slice of cheddar cheese. I don't snack in between meals.

Some people buy grass fed, organic, etc. but my budget doesn't allow for that. I do try to buy some things like that, but I can't afford grass fed meat. I'm feeding a family.

I don't drink at all and I try to avoid sugar at all costs. I don't even want it any more. My son is sitting next to me right now eating a bowl of ice cream and it doesn't appeal to me. We went to the county fair this weekend. Prior to going on Primal I ate cotton candy any time I could. My son had it and I didn't even want any.

I have dropped 27.5 pounds in 2 months. I feel better. I sleep soundly now. I have dropped one of my BP medications. I have dropped both my heartburn medications. I am actually exercising because I now have the energy to do so.

I have Celiac disease so I have to be careful about what I eat. I've never been a big drinker anyway. One of my favorite ways to cook chicken is to coat the chicken in egg and dip in a mixture of coconut flour, unsweetened coconut, and spices and grill. I use mustard with a little bit of honey mixed in to dip the chicken in. It's totally yummy.
  • HunterCML
    Options

I'm very sorry that you live such an unnecessarily restrictive lifestyle by following a diet with absolutely no benefits or advantages beyond any other sensibly made diet, and that you justify it by saying certain competitors follow this type of eating, yet completely disregard the other 99% of competitors who achieve the same results (or better results) with a sensibly made non-restrictive diet.

Please respond.
  • hockey7fan
    Options

Body weight and composition is a function of daily energy intake/expenditure balance. Once you realize the scientific principles and laws behind that simple statement, you will realize that the micro-analysis people put on the specific short term intake/oxidation/storage of macronutrients (often referred to as "clean eating"), is largely irrelevant in the context of daily nutrition. Meaning specific food choices do not directly impact body wight and composition.

Why would you want to engage in a diet based on restrictive principals that has no actual advantage over a sensibly created one?

Horse hockey. I can eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day eating what the conventional wisdom calls a "sensible diet" and not lose weight. Or I can eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day of protein/fat/veggies/fruits and lose weight rather nicely which is what I do now. I lost 145 pounds in 6 months by making certain food choices and eliminating grains and most dairy and sugar and processed frankenfoods.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Most people I know on Paleo are not restricting calories at all, and actually consume for more than me. They are also in serious build lean muscle mass mode. Some of them are female as well.

I am restricting my calories for now, since I am actively losing weight. That being said, I have incorporated Paleo/Primal concepts into my eating habits and am pleased with the experience.
    I don't consume near as much dairy, mostly because of caloric content and the sugars. I do still enjoy yogurt and cheese periodically.
    I have cut starchy carbs out of my diet considerably as well, and have found that very helpful in my energy levels more stable. I was previously prone to hypoglycemic episodes. I still consume brown rice and legumes on occasion as well as the occasional Josephs pita and bowl of oatmeal.

The costs of eating cleaner and more paleo/primal like isn't much different for me than previous eating habits. The biggest change is actually planning more. I cook a lot on the weekend and eat on it during the week.

I hope that is helpful.
  • fjschmoozer
    Options

I'm very sorry that you live such an unnecessarily restrictive lifestyle by following a diet with absolutely no benefits or advantages beyond any other sensibly made diet, and that you justify it by saying certain competitors follow this type of eating, yet completely disregard the other 99% of competitors who achieve the same results (or better results) with a sensibly made non-restrictive diet.

Please respond.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day...
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Horse hockey. I can eat 1200 to 1300 calories a day eating what the conventional wisdom calls a "sensible diet" and not lose weight. Or I can eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day of protein/fat/veggies/fruits and lose weight rather nicely which is what I do now. I lost 145 pounds in 6 months by making certain food choices and eliminating grains and most dairy and sugar and processed frankenfoods.
    Uh, yeah, because eating 1200 - 1300 calories for someone of your weight is undereating. ESPECIALLY if you are remotely active.

So...what?
  • hockey7fan
    Options
    Uh, yeah, because eating 1200 - 1300 calories for someone of your weight is undereating. ESPECIALLY if you are remotely active.

So...what?

Well if I input my current stats into MFP and follow their conventional wisdom guidelines, I would get 1297 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. Are you saying MFP is wrong??
This discussion has been closed.