500 calories diet!! I need opinions.

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I dont understand ! I am witnessing this guys! she is losing it. AND a nutrition recommended it! Technically I am obsessed. As for her metabolism she eats all her meals 8 x A DAY. it seems healthy.

I assume you mean a nutritionist, right? As far as I know, the title "nutritionist" generally isn't regulated. Contrast this with dieticians, who must be licensed. This nutritionist sounds like a rather uneducated one. 500 calories a day is unhealthy. Why not just cut 500 calories per day from your current diet and be on track to lose about a pound per week?
  • AngelBurkes
    Options
    Hi there, I've been kind of quiet up to this point, although I've been a member for a while now. When I joined MFP I was on low carb, then low calorie for a while. I've done the 500 calorie thing, although a long time ago, and only wound up hurting myself.

My doctor sent me to a nutritionist recently, and I've been on a metabolic recovery program for about a month. It varies a little bit day by day, but I'm eating approximately 1700-1800 calories, 120-150 g protein, 200 g or so carbs, 50 g fat. Sounds like a lot right? I'm going back to my nutritionist on Friday for a weigh in, but judging by my own scale I've lost in the area of 15-16 pounds in one month. Every time I ask my nutritionist if I'll be going down in calories, limiting this, limiting that, she gives me the stink eye BIG time. She says you can not have long term success by starving your body.

I'm a believer now. When I first began going to her I did not believe it. Then I experienced it for myself. I'm not sure how much you want to lose or what your history is with dieting, but if you're anything like me and have tried everything in the book, my advice to you would be to find a good nutritionist and follow her advice. I'm amazed at how easy this is. My only complaint (if it is a complaint at all) is that I feel sometimes like I'm eating TOO much, as if eating has become kind of a second job for me.

Anyway, no more rambling. I wish you nothing but luck in however you do this. We're not all the same by any means, Ijust wanted to let you know what's working for me. I've got a LONG way to go, but I know now that I'll get there.

Angel
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom says DO NOT do it. On the up side, you will probably lose weight just like your friend did. On the down side, You will probably lose a pound or two of muscle over the three week period. And, it will be difficult to control binging. If you're okay with that, then go for it. It won't kill you. Just know that it's not the solution for a healthy lifestyle. If, instead, you get the maximum nutrition you can in 1200-1500 calories /day, you'll still lose all the weight your friend did, it'll just take slightly longer. And it will be a diet you can sustain for as long as you need to.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out your BMR right now because I don't know how tall you are or how much you weigh. Having said that, my guess is it is probably about 1600 calories. BMR is the amount of calories you body needs to simple stay alive. If you were in a coma that is pretty much the number of calories you would burn. This does not include any calories you burn from your daily activity which would be a minimum or 200-300 more calories getting you close to 2000 calories a day. At 500 calories you are almost 1500 calories a day below what you would burn at a fairly sedentary activity level, and more than 1000 below what you need for your body to just stay alive. That is not healthy.

Also, there are minimum amounts of carbohydrates and protein a person needs each day. A woman needs a minimum of 50 grams of protein a day that would be 250 calories right there. You also need a minimum of 130 grams a day of carbohydrates which would come to another 520 calorie giving a total of 770 calories. This doesn't even include the fat you need. An adequate intake of fat would be 12 grams for a woman adding another 108 calories. That gives a grand total of just what is absolutely necessary for you to get the bare minimum of the macro nutrients you need of 878 calories. The likelihood is you would need much more than that. That is the reason 500 calories a day is considered very unhealthy. If a nutritionist endorses this, find an actual registered dietitian, as anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, no education required.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Most people would prefer a quick and painless death, but if long and drawn out is what you're into, enjoy.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Pre-order your grave marker. Cheers!
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Bad idea. Yet, to have asked that on here - you already know it's a really bad idea....
  • cecilia49
    Options
    Well yea! she weights as much as I do and the same size as me. Only difference is she lost 25 pounds in 21 days and she is lively and taking vitamins and seeing her nutritionist every 2 weeks. She was my chubby gym buddy for these past few months then loosing all this weight immediate makes me want it. Thats ALL! After reading this thread I m a going to go back to original feeling about this, I am going to cut carbs and maybe try the 17 day diet book.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well yea! she weights as much as I do and the same size as me. Only difference is she lost 25 pounds in 21 days and she is lively and taking vitamins and seeing her nutritionist every 2 weeks. She was my chubby gym buddy for these past few months then loosing all this weight immediate makes me want it. Thats ALL! After reading this thread I m a going to go back to original feeling about this, I am going to cut carbs and maybe try the 17 day diet book.

*sigh*
  • citybaby23
    Options
    i am in college to study these types of things right now, going into the medical profession. what i can tell you about this diet idea is that you will definitely lose weight. you will lose a lot of weight, but the only way to avoid the weight coming back immediately and then some is to continue to consume only 500 calories a day for the rest of your life.

if you stray even one or two days a week, you will gain the weight back. if you do this diet, then even go on another diet consuming as low as 1200 calories a day, which is still pretty low, you will gain all the weight back very quickly and then some.

this is a medical fact.

the human body, when deprived of nutrients, goes into a "starvation mode" where it retains fat and water much more than it would if you were eating more! i have been looking for the easy way to lose all my weight for years now, but in this case, this diet will either make you larger than you were before the diet, or cause you to have a serious nutrient deficiency, if you were to eat like this for the rest of your life.

hope this helps and good luck!
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    Options
    Not to be rude, but your friend lost 25 lbs in 21 days because she lost the unhealthy way by starving her body. I'm sure if she goes back up to 1200 cals like she is supposed to, she is going to gain most of her weight back. Try exercising and eating healthy.
  • cecilia49
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you all. I knew this forum would help me see clearly. Thank YOU
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    That's her nutritionist telling her to do this???!! First and foremost...this is not your nutritionist..maybe she has some serious things going on..Idk.. but you need to do this slowly, unless you plan on failing miserably..I'm just saying...everyone wants to get to their goal fast and quickly..but if you look at the people that do this...they either get severely sick and run the risk of screwing up their metabolism and bring up serious medical problems..AND GAINING EVERY POUND THEY LOST to gain double the weight..and go back to binging...... I'm pretty sure you don't want to do any of those things ...

The healthy way and the most efficient way of losing your weight is to go the slow tortoise way..."you know that story the tortoise and the hare".....

Make yourself mini goals...like 5-10 pounds in a few months...depending on how much weight you are needing to lose...its better to chip away slowly..and feel great of the loss that you achieved the right way..vs..making yourself sick over getting to the Ultimate main goal! Can't look at the big picture as of yet...zero in on what you can achieve, seriously!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Is your original feeling about doing it? Or thinking it is a bad idea? I know you posted here on the boards with a mind set on taking it on, but we don't know your original feeling behind it. I hope you do take care of yourself and take things healthy. Cutting carbs is good, but be sure to watch what you are eating total. You do not need to make yourself sick. You can achieve your goal by taking proper care of the situation and taking a healthy route. If you want to talk to someone about this or anything please feel free to add me as a friend and I will attempt to help you, I am not professional at this, but I was in a relationship with a heath nut who was also a medical student. Please, be safe with your body.
  • ecoulston
    Options
    I am a nurse practitioner. I advocate for a Mediterranean diet. We need good fats for hormone balance as well as fiber, protein, and complex carbs. However, from a medical standpoint, it is better for a person to yo-yo with her weight, then to stay obese and just not get anywhere. I have monitored patients on the HCG diet and I transition them through the maintenance phase, which is individualized calorie count and much like the Mediterranean diet. I give them b12 injections, supplements, and have them come in weekly. The bottom line is some people give up if they are only losing a few pounds a week and they have more than 50 to lose. The concept is also that they are living on calories from the fat they are melting. If someone is losing a lot of fat on any program, they are at risk for gallbladder issues. So is everyone who is obese. I don't make the HCG diet a first line choice, but it is true, that people who are on 500 calories with HCG supplement lose more weight and especially the dangerous abdominal weight than people just doing 500 calories. The majority of patients learn to eat healthy and exercise come off some of their meds, and above they do not gain all their weight back. Bottomline, is people may go back to their unhealthy habits and gain weight no matter what program they used to lose the weight.:heart:
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I want to do the 500 calories a day diet . Any advice? My friend lost 25 pounds in 21 days. No carbs,sugar,or oil. Her nutrition has her on it. How did she do this? Its the 500 Cal diet with out HCG , Any advice.?

Her nutritionist has her on a 500 cal/day diet?! As a nutritionist myself, I am calling bulls.hit. A lot of people can call themselves a "nutritionist" (people who work at Jenny Craig, gyms, etc.) without actually having any legitimate education in nutrition. To be a certified nutritionist, you need to have at minimum, a Masters Degree in Nutritional Sciences....and ANYBODY with this type of education would NEVER recommend a patient or client go on such a low-caloric diet. A person in a coma or vegetative state that does absolutely NO MOVEMENT in a day still needs a minimum 750 calories a day just to keep all of the internal organs functioning. Nobody with any legitimate education would ever recommend a diet so low in calories that even the basic bodily organs could not function properly on.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I did the HCG thing and I would be doing it again, only I don't have the money to buy it. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can eat the same thing over and over with out getting bored. I lost 10 pounds in 20 days and kept it off. (until I meet my boyfriend, who's awesome.) but my WHOLE diet stopped for about 2 months..LOL..
    I would say go for it!
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I dont understand ! I am witnessing this guys! she is losing it. AND a nutrition recommended it! Technically I am obsessed. As for her metabolism she eats all her meals 8 x A DAY. it seems healthy.
    Thank you!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    She may be losing it now, but I will happily put down 100 bucks that within the year she'll be bigger than when she started. This isn't sustainable and always backfires. Trust me, been there done that. Gradual and small changes make for big and permanent loss.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I did the HCG thing and I would be doing it again, only I don't have the money to buy it. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can eat the same thing over and over with out getting bored. I lost 10 pounds in 20 days and kept it off. (until I meet my boyfriend, who's awesome.) but my WHOLE diet stopped for about 2 months..LOL..
    I would say go for it!
    worst advice ever ^^^ look like other posters have said there is no easy short cuts, just eat right, do the work and the weight will come off.
This discussion has been closed.