500 calories diet!! I need opinions.

Options
I want to do the 500 calories a day diet . Any advice? My friend lost 25 pounds in 21 days. No carbs,sugar,or oil. Her nutrition has her on it. How did she do this? Its the 500 Cal diet with out HCG , Any advice.?

Replies

• killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't do it... you'll end up binging, and/or could potentially spark a very unhealthy relationship with food. Trust me. ...Just do it the old-fashioned, slow way... be patient, it's worth it! :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You will gain all the weight right back. This is not a long-term solution for weight loss. Yes, you might lose a lot of weight, but you will also probably mess up your metabolism and as soon as you start eating more than 500 calories, you'll put it all back on and probably MORE actually! Just don't do it. There is no "quick fix" weight loss solution.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    DONT!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I would say don't do it. Doing something like this you will lose weight because you are severely starving your body. The problem is much of the weight loss will be muscle. That lose of muscle will reduce how many calories you body burns in a day, which means you are MUCH more likely to put the weight back on. The is nothing healthy about a diet that has a person only eating 500 calories. You cannot get the nutrients your body needs that way which is also just asking for health problems. The only exception I would make for this is someone who is severely obese and must lose the weight quickly for health reasons. Other than that, it took a while to put the weight on, so take you time getting it off. 1 pound per week.

My question for you is why do you think this would be a good way to lose weight? Is it the speed it happens? If you are thinking get the weight loss over quickly so you can get back to eating normally, you will put it all back on and more. To keep the weight off you need to learn new ways of eating. 500 calories a day will not do that, nor will a quick weight loss.
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's crazy! You are starving your body! Just hope that your friends hair doesn't start falling out! It's not healthy! I was thinking of buying the HCG drops just to try; but not 500 calories a day! too little! your muscles, skin, organs are deprived!
  • tayniicole
    Options
    I used to eat less than 500 calories a day, trust me, it comes right back because you will be so deprived from food and end up binging. Not only that, but your metabolism will slow down sooo much, believe me I can't eat like I used to anymore.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    No. Just.... don't do it.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your body needs food, fuel and nutrition to function properly. My 45 pound dog needs more than 500 calories a day!!
  • vivie72
    vivie72 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't do it... you'll end up binging, and/or could potentially spark a very unhealthy relationship with food. Trust me. ...Just do it the old-fashioned, slow way... be patient, it's worth it! :)

If you want it to last don't do it. You will gain it all back plus once you go off of it.
  • What they said ^^^
    very unhealthy
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Agreed you will gain it back as fast as you lost it. You will binge wheny ou go back to eating properl. Plus your body needs fuel to survive, you will only be doing damage to your body!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!
    I know it sounds like a great thing, but there is the shot that this could be EXTREMELY bad for your body. Do a 1200 cal diet, it is a lot healthier for you and helps you gain control of losing weight easier. Hungry Girl has 300 under 300 calorie meals and 200 under 200 calorie meals. There are also things on the website that might help. Please do not eat yourself sick!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Stupid double posts!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Stupid double posts!
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    i did it for a while. not a smart thing i shot my matebolism and afterwards if i ate say 750 calories iw ould gaine like 3 pounds. they went away again but still that little food did that much damage cause i had messed up my metabolism.
  • cecilia49
    Options
    I dont understand ! I am witnessing this guys! she is losing it. AND a nutrition recommended it! Technically I am obsessed. As for her metabolism she eats all her meals 8 x A DAY. it seems healthy.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I know a quick and straight to the point answer but just don't. It is not safe at all. If you don't trust our answers please consult a registered dietician or knowledgable physician or personal trainer.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    no..just no. Some of the healthiest and in shape people I know eat at least 1500cals a day.
    That seems like a quick fix.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    I dont understand ! I am witnessing this guys! she is losing it. AND a nutrition recommended it! Technically I am obsessed. As for her metabolism she eats all her meals 8 x A DAY. it seems healthy.

It is far from healthy. Unless you are planning on going strict veggies or something. Cutting your food intake can really be unhealthy for you with such a dramatic change. Your body can start eating away at yourself and holding more fat to keep your body healthy which can actually cause you to gain weight.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it -- we all need more than 500 calories in a day! If you're anything like me you'll eventually have a backslide that will undo any progress you make on this "diet." Better to take your time and do it right!
This discussion has been closed.