THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!!!!

Options
None. Period.

500 calorie diets don't work. Soup diets don't work. HCG (which, by the way, is disgusting) doesn't work. Weight loss surgery CAN work but only if you are willing to change your habits and many, many people aren't and don't. The tree bark diet doesn't work. Spending 15 nights in the rain forest eating nothing but monkey poo and rainwater doesn't work.

Know what works?? Exercise. A healthy diet. Commitment. Dedication. Changing your lifestyle. Taking good advice even when it's not what you want to hear.

I truly believe that every single person on MFP has good intentions and good goals. Every one of us is smart enough to realize a line of complete BS when we hear it IF we are willing to listen.

If you want to take a shortcut, go ahead. Who am I to stop you? But the shortcut is the easy way out and the way many, many, MANY people try to do it. Me, well, I'll take a line from my favorite Robert Frost poem...

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by...and that has made all the difference."

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    Wise words, my friend, wise words.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *applause*
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I tried the monkey poo diet. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I mean, if the monkeys ate a little better, maybe, but... :/

That was the worst $200,000 I ever spent on a diet plan.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Nicely put
    ::clap clap::
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Please take a bow.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better myself. You rock, PBT.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    Agreed! I kind of laugh and can't believe some of the fad diets people try.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bender-applause.gif
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying it!
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    OP you hit the nail on the head, thank you!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You mean eating my cat's kibble won't make me weigh as little as he does? :cry:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    So you're saying if I do a 250 calorie diet, it will not work twice as fast. OK I get it now.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    amen!!!!!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this will clarify things
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There are tons of people daily in here that should just be automatically redirected to this thread.
  • xonashwaox
    Options
    **BIG APPLAUSE AND CHEERS** WELL SAID!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    Except Ctrl W - my favorite shortcut.

Ctrl Y is a helpful one too.

And F11

(just a little bump)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Yup. You're totally right.

I would like to say, as a control, you can even start the journey without exercise. I'm still losing an average of 6-7 lbs./month and have not started working out yet.

So, I say this, not to discourage anyone from exercise, but to submit my experience thus far as a control. Nutrition is so very important and it really is as easy as: net what MFP tells you to (aka: eat your exercise calories), be patient (2 weeks is a nanosecond in weight loss time and you did NOT gain 3 lbs. of FAT overnight after sticking to your calorie goal), apply logic and personal experience, learn what you can from reputable sources, stick with the program and watch long-term trends.

It's going to take me 8 months to lose my last 20 lbs. at a healthy rate. Sounds slow but a few months is nothing in the bigger picture of the rest of your life.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You may be able to loose a few pounds faster with surgery, pills, crazy diets. But you won't stay there long. staying fit and healthy matters far more than how quickly you get healthy.