Sore back muscles, stretching not helping?

Options
Hi all,

I have a problem with my back: the long muscles next to my spine and the smaller muscles on my shoulder blades have been sore for a few days now. I've tried moderate stretching, relaxation techniques and even a muscle relaxant to get them to settle, but nothing seems to help. I've also rested, which I thought would help (didn't).

What should I do about this problem? I can't afford to go for a massage before my payday at the end of the month. :(

Replies

• lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you tried soaking in the tub with some epsom salts?? That usually does the trick for me when my muscles are really tense.
  • kahavi
    kahavi Posts: 35
    Options
    I haven't, but that's because my apartment doesn't have a bathtub. :( I've tried using the showerhead's massage setting to target certain muscles, but it just made it worse. Wish I had a bathtub, soaking would probably help a lot.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    do you have a friend who you could ask to rub your back?

I have also had these muscles really tense up and it does take some time for things to come back around. Keep relaxing, keep up with warm compresses. Did you injure or is it due to stress?

Just try to know that it will get better, all things do eventually :)
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lucyford22 is right about the epsom salts. Your muscles in that spot are tense from STRESS and/or carrying a heavy backpack.

Keep working out to relieve stress if you do work out, and if you don't, might be a good idea to try that. Doesn't have to be intense or even work that area.

The other thing you can try is acupuncture, if that's cheaper than getting a massage, or have a good friend rub on it. I have issues in those same areas frequently and a masseuse told me that's where I'm storing my stress.

Good luck with that, I know how painful that is. Don't forget to try taking a pain reliever and using a heating pad. I say try everything.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    How long exactly is a few days? When I work out, I spend a few hours at the gym and am SUPER sore for days afterwards. For example, last night I killed my chest... Sunday we did legs and mine are STILL stiff. This is normal for me, I like to use a heat pack if I overdo it, or just to cuddle with randomly to help with it. If its a week, then you have a real problem. Don't worry about a massage for sore muscles unless its lasting longer than 3-5 days.
  • sallyv22
    Options
    I mix some tylenol and advil. one is processed in the liver, and one in the kidneys, so they can be mixed. I dont recommend you try that until you talk to your MD first though.... Then I do my am/pm yoga ( these are very light, and help get majority of the tension out... pm helps wind down) .. with and additional afternoon yoga workout ( a cardio or "toning" one) just to restretch my muscles... I restretch before my walk, and if we are lifting that evening.... Also, I sit around cursing myself for two weeks, promising myself NOT TO DROP WORKING OUT this time ( I have a regular "being sore" program, so please tell me how you think that is working for me lol ;) ) and just try to enjoy the fact that the reason I am sore is because Im accomplishing something....
  • kahavi
    kahavi Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I'm going to ask a friend of mine to just rub my back and see if that helps. I also have a heating pad that I could use... once I find where I put it after the last move. :)

I changed my workout regime for a lighter one in the past week due to a brief cold, so I haven't been doing the same exercises that I normally do. That might have contributed to the soreness - I do a lot of nordic walking usually, which helps with my shoulders and upper back - and for the past week I've just been taking regular walks and doing mostly stretches for my upper body. I'm going to pick up nordic walking again tomorrow and see if that helps, too.

I haven't injured myself, I'm much too cautious about my body for that. Doing martial arts in high school gave me a good idea on how my body works, but this soreness in my back is a new thing. It could be remnants of a back injury I had last winter, but the location of soreness is different, so I'm a bit skeptical about that.

@Snookums: A few days in this case has been five days. I don't do gym right now due to financial issues - just started a new job - but I do exercise on my own. My back isn't stiff, just really sore. :( If it were stiff, stretching would help. With soreness, not so much.

@sallyv22: I'll try more stretching to see if it works. As for painkillers like Tylenol and Advil (or their European counterparts), I appreciate the advice, it's just that I have issues with pain medication, so I can't rely on them. :( However, if you have instructions on your yoga regime, I'd be more than grateful, if you could share them with me.

Once again, thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted on whether I get my back sorted. :)
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but that's because my apartment doesn't have a bathtub. :( I've tried using the showerhead's massage setting to target certain muscles, but it just made it worse. Wish I had a bathtub, soaking would probably help a lot.

I don't have a tub either, but I make a paste with the epson salt and use it as a scrub; coating the area that is sore and then letting the steam work on my muscles. Its harder to do with your back, but you might try. Just turn the shower head away from where you are standing...