PERIODS

Options
2»

Replies

• Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whoops. I entered the wrong thread. Sorry.

I thought this was a discussion on punctuation.

***leaves room***
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Evidently that nurse forgot to read the memo...

of COURSE you can retain water with TOM.... Id like to see that nurse demonstrate how freakin' easy it is to get into the same pair of pants when she is 'due' and how easy it is to take her dang rings off! LOL!!!

What an idiot! Yeah, drop that nurse quick!
  • IjaLynn
    IjaLynn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lol... Good one! :laugh:
  • sarah829522
    Options
    I was +5 lbs this a.m. as a testimonial against what your nurse said.
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like shark week just because it's hilarious.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    one you need a new Nurse because you do retain water little extra for you all to know

Woman's Day Magazine reports that for the week before your period, your body will require 100 to 300 more calories a day. While it is tempting to think of these as free calories, still make healthy food selections such as fruits and vegetables from which to take those calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/#ixzz1ace68wbx

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health-Fitness/Understanding-Your-Menstrual-Cycle.html
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! SERIOUSLY!? My wine bag turns into a kegger during my TOTM. I skip the scales completely. I did weigh myself once and it was a +8lb gain!

I am the same way.
    When t.o.m. hits My clothing doesn't fit right anymore, bloating and more.
    You really should get a new nurse, or ask her how long she has been in the field! That is ridicules. Was she a nurse at a regular doctors office or at a OBGYN? And was she a he? Because a good percentage of females to experience a chance when periods hit. I hope you can get yourself a new nurse, make sure when you go into your doctor let them know the mistake the nurse made so they can handle it. They don't want people in their office giving incorrect advice, it could lead down the wrong path if told to the wrong person.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I def feel way more bloated in the days prior to. My cravings for sweets is also ridiculous. I wouldn't doubt that there is some actual weight gain becuase of the foods I sometimes give in to.

Does anyone know if hormonal birth controls (i.e. the pill) affect this weight cycle at all? and how?
  • kyinaire
    Options
    Agreed with what most people said... you definitely do weigh more from the water. However if you work out enough, your periods will become lighter, shorter, and less frequent!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    About a week before your period, fatigue, cravings, breast tenderness and bloating get into full swing. In fact, water retention could cause a 3- to 5-pound gain. Cutting back on salt (it makes you retain water) and doing moderate exercise (which helps increase the production of feel-good endorphins) can ease symptoms, says Diana Taylor, RNP, PhD, director of the PMS Symptom Management Program at the University of California, San Francisco.

VIA http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health-Fitness/Understanding-Your-Menstrual-Cycle.html
  • KickinBooty
    Options
    Um... okay seriously, is this person really an RN? I have never heard something so ridiculous in my life. I can gain 3-8lbs.overnight when TOM visits. Seriously, if you don't bloat then you're are the luckiest female I know. I have friends who can't even zip their jeans, but when they aren't falling off the roof the jeans are almost falling off of them.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just to add to everyone else's posts ... I gain weight at that time too. I think the evidence is pretty overwhelming!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I believe the estrogen helps retain water and the protoglandulins (sp) so yes you can but diet is key too.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I always lose on my period, I must be an oddball
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I asked a nurse if you retain water on your period as I never loose much weight when I am on period. She said it was complete rubbish. Your thoughts ?

I gain up to 8 lbs in the 2 days before my period then drop them immediately after. I must be a freak.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Every month without fail the week or so before my period, I will gain 1-2kg. Then the day I get my period (from one day to the next) the 1-2kg are GONE.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Um... okay seriously, is this person really an RN? I have never heard something so ridiculous in my life. I can gain 3-8lbs.overnight when TOM visits. Seriously, if you don't bloat then you're are the luckiest female I know. I have friends who can't even zip their jeans, but when they aren't falling off the roof the jeans are almost falling off of them.

I have no bloating size wise, but the scale figure is always up during that time. And just to make up for the no pain/no bloat, my emotions are crazy out of control so I wouldn't consider myself lucky - just, oddly normal?
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I asked a nurse if you retain water on your period as I never loose much weight when I am on period. She said it was complete rubbish. Your thoughts ?

I never gain any water weight during my period (or really at any specific point in my cycle). So even though it seems like most women do, there are some who don't. But definitely, a nurse who makes a broad generalization like that really isn't that good.

But then again, I also sort of believe that PMS (PMS, not during period cramps!!) is grossly exaggerated by most women as well. So I may not be too popular on this thread!

*runs away*
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I def feel way more bloated in the days prior to. My cravings for sweets is also ridiculous. I wouldn't doubt that there is some actual weight gain becuase of the foods I sometimes give in to.

Does anyone know if hormonal birth controls (i.e. the pill) affect this weight cycle at all? and how?

Yes it does, I usually run packs together but when I have a break every 3/4 months I get extremely bloated. I don't think I could cope with it every month!