How can I get drunk without putting on the pounds?

Options
What are your tipples of choice?

Replies

• ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Vodka is a good low cal option, with diet coke or lemonade?
    I love the red vino but it's baaddd!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Vodka I think is one of the lowest cal drinks.

I just tend to just drink what I want (I like Southern Comfort) Now and again won't hurt, as long as your not going out drinking ALL the time.
    Also, because I'm going out less, drinking less - I don't need to drink as much to feel the effects, bonus! Saves money and calories :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Going for an hour long run earlier in the day so I have a lot more calories to work with. :drinker:
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat anything, you could drink your calories and be a cheap date. :P

But be sure to get your water in...

JK!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Vodka is a good low cal option, with diet coke or lemonade?
    I love the red vino but it's baaddd!

My sister and I used to drink raspberry vodka and simply lemonade like it was going out of style.
  • ohskinnyme
    Options
    Eat fermented fruit or sniff methylated spirits. Or, just don't drink. It's a misconception that vodka is low calorie. It isn't. No alcohol is. And it's all just totally empty of any nutritionaly value, kills vital brain cells, stops the body from being able to get any nutrition from food properly and dehydrates you terribly. Why would anyone want that?
  • Determined1980
    Options
    I drink vodka and club soda or gin and diet tonic and I always get a double work out in on weekends when I drink. :)
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    wine (around 80-100 cals a glass) or low calorie beers (55-91 calories a bottle) are your best options.

everything else is around 150 calories+

I don't go out alot or drink alot but I try to keep it to two drinks unless its a big social event (birthdays,weddings, new years eve, etc). If it is a big social event, i know i'm only going to do it once in a while so I don't care that much. I watch what I eat more in the week leading up to it and be sure to work out more too.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Drink something that you like but don't adore. By that I mean something you will drink slowly. I choose vodka lime and soda. It's very plain and I like it well enough to drink but I won't gulp it down like I would vodka diet coke.
    The same goes for certain wines.
    Say no to shots, because it's easy to lose count and do more before you feel the effects of the previous one.
    At my local (and only to those who already smoke) I would also recommend smoking, as after 10 you have to leave your drinks inside to smoke outside, so you can go distract yourself with a cigarette and conversation for a while and take a break from drinking.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Eat fermented fruit or sniff methylated spirits. Or, just don't drink. It's a misconception that vodka is low calorie. It isn't. No alcohol is. And it's all just totally empty of any nutritionaly value, kills vital brain cells, stops the body from being able to get any nutrition from food properly and dehydrates you terribly. Why would anyone want that?

uhhh because its fun. god party pooper!

i go for vodka w/ tonic and a just a splash (i always emphasize this to the bartender) of cranberry juice if im looking to stay low cal.

honestly, if you're going to drink, then drink. Just watch out for the after hours snacking!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink:
    -make sure it isn't a daily or even weekly thing
    -make sure you eat healthy food throughout the week
    -make sure you keep your workout schedule up
    -make sure you don't overdo it

Nothing wrong with choosing not to drink, but if you drink, don't let it take over your life.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I try to drink vodka soda water & lime and fit it into cal limit. Once you pass midnight your into your next day's cal limit anyway.

Dont be too worried about going over every so often either.

Drink equal amounts of water and have a stash of electrolytes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Totally delicious: Ocean Spray Light Blueberry (about 10 calories) with Pinnacle Whipped Cream vodka (69 calories per ounce).

Reminds me of blueberry pancakes with whipped cream. Yum!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Just drink what you want. Everything in moderation. If you can't afford it in calories then do a workout earlier in the day to earn some more.
    There isn't a drink that is good for your diet so don't make it worse for yourself by drinking something you don't like just because it has 'less' calories. :)
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options

uhhh because its fun. god party pooper!

i go for vodka w/ tonic and a just a splash (i always emphasize this to the bartender) of cranberry juice if im looking to stay low cal.

honestly, if you're going to drink, then drink. Just watch out for the after hours snacking!

HAHAHAH ^ AGREED..... personally...i cannot get drunk with out binge eating..its just a habit. BUT if i keep "healthier" snacks around while i'm drinking, i dont feel so bad. just look up lower cal liquors or beers and go from there. obviously diet mixers are your best choice but drinking just booze on the rocks works also.

i'll drink jameson or black barrel crown on the rocks...gets me nice and hammered and i dont have to mix it with anything!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You can get drunk without putting on the pounds by simply ensuring the amount of calories you consume, to include alcohol, is less than the amount your body needs to maintain itself

Of course, some drinks are more calorific than others which might factor into your choices. Vodka, low cal beer, gin are good options if that is the case.

I think the dangers of alcohol lie more in what a person does when they get drunk as opposed to the actual consumption of booze. If you start hoovering up any food in the immediate vicinity as a result then obviously this will ramp up the amount of calories you have consumed and if this exceeds your TDEE can result in weight gain.

You can drink just about anything you like and still successfully lose fat / weight. In addition whilst booze does have an effect on muscle growth the actual restriction is vastly overstated by some fitness "professionals"

Eat, drink, be merry.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How to lose fat or prevent fat gain when drinking

Now that you understand the effect of alcohol on substrate metabolism, it's time for me to reveal how you can make alcohol work for fat loss. Alternatively, how you can drink on a regular basis without any fat gain. Without having to count calories and while drinking as much as you want.

Apply this method exactly as I have laid it out. If you've paid attention, you'll understand the rationale behind it. I've tested this on myself and on numerous clients. Rest assured that I'm not testing out some large-scale bizarre experiment here.

The rules are as follows:

* For this day, restrict your intake of dietary fat to 0.3 g/kg body weight (or as close to this figure as possible).

* Limit carbs to 1.5 g/kg body weight. Get all carbs from veggies and the tag-along carbs in some protein sources. You'll also want to limit carbohydrate-rich alcohol sources such as drinks made with fruit juices and beer. A 33 cl/12 fl oz of beer contains about 12 g carbs, while a regular Cosmopolitan is about 13 g.

* Good choices of alcohol include dry wines which are very low carb, clocking in at about 0.5-1 g per glass (4 fl oz/115ml). Sweet wines are much higher at 4-6 g per glass. Cognac, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey are all basically zero carbs. Dry wines and spirits is what you should be drinking, ideally. Take them straight or mixed with diet soda. (No need to be super-neurotic about this stuff. Drinks should be enjoyed after all. Just be aware that there are better and worse choices out there).

* Eat as much protein as you want. Yes, that's right. Ad libitum. Due to the limit on dietary fat, you need to get your protein from lean sources. Protein sources such as low fat cottage cheese, protein powder, chicken, turkey, tuna, pork and egg whites are good sources of protein this day.

* For effective fat loss, this should be limited to one evening per week. Apply the protocol and you will lose fat on a weekly basis as long as your diet is on point for the rest of the week.

Basically, the nutritional strategy I have outlined here is all about focusing on substrates that are least likely to cause net synthesis of fat during hypercaloric conditions. Alcohol and protein, your main macronutrients this day, are extremely poor precursors for de novo lipogenesis. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation, but by depriving yourself of dietary fat during alcohol consumption, you won't be storing anything. Nor will protein cause any measurable de novo lipogenesis. High protein intake will also compensate for the weak effect of alcohol on satiety and make you less likely to blow your diet when you're drinking.

By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh"-effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss.

Apply this with good judgement and don't go out and do something stupid now. Remember, this a short-term strategy for those that want to be able to drink freely* without significantly impacting fat loss progress or causing unwanted fat gain. It's not something I encourage people to do on a daily basis, but it's one of the strategies that I apply for maintaining low body fat for myself and my clients.

* Now of course...you can always drink in moderation and make sure to not go over your calorie budget for the day. But what fun is there in that? I'd rather cheat the system with the kind metabolic mischief I've layed out above.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options

geez debbie downer! Drink what you want, it's okay to have fun every once in a while. Personally I love wine and try to stick to white (pinot grigio) because it is less calories.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Totally delicious: Ocean Spray Light Blueberry (about 10 calories) with Pinnacle Whipped Cream vodka (69 calories per ounce).

Reminds me of blueberry pancakes with whipped cream. Yum!

I think my mouth watered just a little bit! :drinker:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Great website for calorie information!