lose weight while pregnant?

Options
is this even safe? if so, could you tell me what you did? please and thank you :]

Replies

• PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Clearly this would be a conversation only with your doctor.:smile:
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree! He/she would know way more about that!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I don't think it would be healthy for you and especially for the unborn child, best is to rather take care of your skin as to minimize stretch marks and deal with the extra weight afterwards. Rather a healthy baby with a few extra pounds than a malnourished baby with health issues.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it is not safe. When I was pregnant my doctor told me how much I should gain, women that I know who are obese were told what they could do to maintain, but that should not lose. Talk to your doctor, the interwebz are unreliable for such serious medical advice as the health and safety of a pregnancy.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor!
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your situation, if you are significantly overweight, it might be possible and still be healthy, but if you're an average size, you probably couldn't lose weight safely while pregnant. But ultimately everyone is right. Have a conversation with your doctor. He/she will be able to tell you what you can/can't do, and ultimately, it's just 9.5 months, and then you can start losing weight if you want to!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    You are going to gain. It's natural and it's going to happen. Talk to your doctor about it.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I lost body fat while prego with my twins. I would talk to your doc and see what he/she has to say.
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    ThinspiredButterfly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    oh ok.thanks :] thought id ask
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    is this even safe? if so, could you tell me what you did? please and thank you :]

You are very thin already...you need to be gaining weight for the health of your baby. I had a friend that wouldn't eat enough and ended up giving birth at 7 months. I understand that you have some difficulty with eating. Please talk to your doctor. Try to be healthy for the baby.
  • cometnurse
    cometnurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about losing weight. You can, however, start making healthy choices for you and your baby. Eat a well rounded diet with foods from all the food groups. Drink lots of water. Walking is always good! :smile:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    How could you even track something like that? Losing weight during a pregnancy is the least of your worries.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    No, it's not safe. You need to gain weight, a healthy amount, which by looking at you is probably between 25-40lbs according to the weight scale. Even overweight people are suppose to gain around 15 - 20. Do not try to lose weight while you're pregnant. It will hurt your baby. Eating healthy is one thing but actually trying to lose weight is entirely different.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Although I am not pregnant, I would try to eat healthy and NOT EAT FOR 2! Just eat as you usually eat, u can eat 1200-1400 calories and still workout (just not as intense), just make sure that u are eating the proper nutrients and vitamins...I will do that with baby number 2! Since I made a huge mistake the first time and gained100 pounds! Have a safe, healthy and happy pregnanacy!!! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Although I am not pregnant, I would try to eat healthy and NOT EAT FOR 2! Just eat as you usually eat, u can eat 1200-1400 calories and still workout (just not as intense), just make sure that u are eating the proper nutrients and vitamins...I will do that with baby number 2! Since I made a huge mistake the first time and gained100 pounds! Have a safe, healthy and happy pregnanacy!!! :)

1200-1400 calories a day would not be enough for a healthy pregnancy for most women. This is a discussion she should have with her doctor. I lost weight early on with both my pregnancies because I could not keep down any food. Working out is also a discussion to have with her doctor because some situations don't allow for much exercise. Most women should be able to do some workouts, even most of what they normally do, but that advice should not come from total strangers on an internet board.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    Hi sweetie. I understand how hard pregnancy must be from the perspective of a former ED sufferer ( i myself am a recovered bulimic), but for the health of both you and the child, don't strive for weight loss. I do believe it is safe to exercise in moderation under consent of your doctor, but by engaging in a lower caloric intake you are compromising your well being overall. it's not a gamble that you should take.

xx
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

1200-1400 calories a day would not be enough for a healthy pregnancy for most women. This is a discussion she should have with her doctor. I lost weight early on with both my pregnancies because I could not keep down any food. Working out is also a discussion to have with her doctor because some situations don't allow for much exercise. Most women should be able to do some workouts, even most of what they normally do, but that advice should not come from total strangers on an internet board.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My wife is pregnant right now, so I've done quite a bit of learning about the subject lately.

It is most definitely NOT healthy to attempt to lose weight while pregnant. You need to gain at LEAST 25lb during pregnancy.

Remember, when we try to lose fat, we are forcing our bodies to metabolize the body tissues we already have for energy. This energy is hard to access and not very efficient once we do access it. You are growing a new human being. You need the most easily used, efficient forms of energy you can get a hold of. Can a plant grow with crappy sunlight and crappy food? Sure, but it's not going to grow very well.

I know from experience that it's hard to hear this. When we first learned that my wife was pregnant, she had JUST decided to take up powerlifting. We had a program set up for her, and we were both very excited about seeing her progress and get stronger. At first it was very hard to switch off that mindset and give up on lifting super heavy and trying to get stronger. She still lifts heavy, but listens to her body and isn't trying to progress and get stronger, because she knows that growing a healthy baby is the only thing she can focus on right now.

So remember, you need to gain at least 25lb while pregnant, but pregnancy is also not a license to eat whatever you want. Keep it healthy, but take in more calories so that you can steadily gain small amounts of weight throughout your pregnancy.