SO BORED NOW!!! 4 MONTHS DIETING

Options
Like I said Ive been on my diet for 4 months and soooo bored now, seems like ages until I reach my goal weight next May, anyone else on a long diet, how do you keep motivated?

TBH Ive surprised myself by sticking to it all this time, I think caz Ive lessened my cals recently Im missing eating more boooo.

Its is TOM so thats not helping and had a few mars bars icecreams today so in a bad mood that I cant eat anything else now. tsssk

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Congrats on sticking with it for 4 months:) That is a huge accomplishment! I've been doing this since the end of January and although the weight is slow to come off, I stay pretty positive. Is there a reason you lowered your calories? I've had to raise mine twice because of plateaus but that worked for me both times. On days I'm feeling snacky, I just work out more and earn the calories lol. TOM is a hard one but you can get through this. Good luck to our continued success:):) Also think of this more as a lifestyle change and everything in moderation. If I deprive myself, I only tend to binge.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think of it this way.
    May is going to come regardless of you dieting and trying to get healthier or not, so why not do it the right way now so you CAN reach your goal in May rather then quit and hate yourself when May comes and you aren't there?
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    In 2008 I lost 110 pounds. The key for me staying motivated was setting very small goals, either scale or non-scale. I'd usually look at things in 5# increments, or 10# and then reward myself with a mani or something. Non-scale goals I had were to fit into a pair of non-plus size Silver jeans. So, I'd go to the Buckle, try on the biggest size, pull them to my knees one week, then the next I could pull them a bit further, until I could finally get them all the way on, zipped & buttoned. Sometimes focusing on the non-scale victories can really keep you motivated more than the #s. Good luck :)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    For me, I get discouraged if I think "big picture" but if I have mini-goals/rewards that helps me keep on track. :smile:

Good job on your 17-down! :drinker:
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    if your being more active you should increase your food intake. It is definately a "JOURNEY" & NOT an easy one at that. Just keep hanging in there. You can do anything you want to do. Just make it happen. Don't look at is a "diet" cause it's not. Your gonna have to do this for the rest of your life or else everything you worked so hard at will just come right back. Now that I KNOW.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think of it this way.
    May is going to come regardless of you dieting and trying to get healthier or not, so why not do it the right way now so you CAN reach your goal in May rather then quit and hate yourself when May comes and you aren't there?

I second this :)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    We all feel like this. Just brush it off and set small goals. Instead of May look at Thanksgiving with a smaller # in mind. Getting to goal is nice but being healthy takes a life time.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks"
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It's hard, especially for people like me for whom food is a source of pleasure and entertainment.

When you have lived a life where food is so much of life, it is hard to live a life where it is relegated to a footnote.

But that is the row we have to hoe.

I find that as long as I am not starving hungry, I can get by with food that is merely sustaining. I try to stick to a routine. Breakfast is 2 fried eggs. Lunch is two meat and cheese wraps. Snack is Atkins bars and/or cheese sticks. Dinner is whatever the wifey makes.

It's not fun, nor entertaining, nor something to look forward to. But I can do it as long as I don't allow myself to get so hungry that I lose willpower. Eating low carbs is what does this for me.

The sad fact is I have just resigned myself to a life devoid of food pleasure.

Steve
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :heart: bump
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

The sad fact is I have just resigned myself to a life devoid of food pleasure.

Why? Just eat the pleasurable things, just in moderation!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Been on my weight loss journey since 8.31, and I definitely view it as a lifestyle change. You really shouldn't look at it as a "diet", but as a lifestyle change.

Are you bored with your workouts?? Change them up--today I did a circuit of elliptical, treadmill, bike. Get on a machine you've never tried before and check it out. Or take a class, or buy a new workout DVD. Are you bored with what you're eating? Try new recipes, go wander around the grocery store and see what looks good.

Hope you get less bored!
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You probably overdid it today with the Mars Bars ;) But that's okay! If you go over today, you can make up for it tomorrow. Just make sure you DO make up for it!

It's okay to eat treats as long as you're keeping the portions small. For instance, I really wanted something sweet the other day so I got a KitKat bar and ate one piece. If you decide you need another piece - that's okay if you fit it into your day. Just don't eat the whole bar!

As for getting bored....I'm right there with you. I think I need to try some new foods, and maybe incorporate a group workout (maybe zumba?). I'm finishing out my third month so I probably have the endurance to keep up with a classroom exercise :)
  • SaraSatin
    SaraSatin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this site? If you've been here 4 months and are just posting for the first time that might be part of it. I jumped right in on the boards because I knew interaction and conversation would keep this entertaining. Change things up a bit, try out some of the challenges people post here. Go in the recipe section and see if there is anything new there that could be fun.

I've done Weight Watchers several times but this site so far has been way more fun and interactive, even without meetings. I think you have to search for ways to make it more fun, the people here can help you with that.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    OMG Kapula (Bank) That was very well written! Now I have hope!

Lee
    Aim to lose 125 pounds
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Why? Just eat the pleasurable things, just in moderation!

This is like telling an alcoholic it's OK to drink, just in moderation.
  • GeorgeyGal
    GeorgeyGal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys! Well I am now 8 months into losing weight (not calling it a diet anymore), and have a new found motivation as dropped a few dress sizes and feeling more confident in how I look. Also had my gallbladder out last month which was causing me so many issues and now feel great and have started a more serious exercise regime of weight training, circuits, feeling good and exercise is defo great for releasing them endorphs!

I didnt mention but I suffer from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) hence why I struggle with sugar cravings TOM but Im learning to control that more and more with a balanced diet inc treats in moderation.

Not going to give up to reach my goals, goodluck and well done everyone on your current weight loss and fitness xx
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Im 4 months in and im still loving it... also hearing the compliments are great but i still have more weight to lose... i have at least 20 more lbs to go..
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have a little system I worked out when I started this in 2010. I decided I would lose 30 pounds a year,once that 30 was lost I would stop,switch to matanince and not worry about it. It takes a bit longer but it works for me. I also think its good for my body to give it a break too. And now I only have 20 or 30 left to go.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I see that you have been here since June and have no MFP friends, and this is the only thread you have posted on. Perhaps having a few friends here and posting a bit more will help cheer you along! We're all here to help and motivate one another :)