How do you handle anger????

Options
I find that eating so many less calories than I am used to eating I become angry!!!! I have done research on the topic and found many who diet and show self control prefer angry movies and looking at angry faces, their thinking is that exhibiting self control make one angry and well, "misery loves company," but none of the article I read told me how to handle the anger. So I ask you, how do you handle it with out over eating????

Replies

• Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Zumba!!!! ZUMBA.... DANCING.... KICKBOXING... anything to release that bottled up energy that makes you want to lash out. I love my Zumba and although I would never let anyone see me doing it, I get so much enjoyment out of just cutting loose and dancing.... so freeing.....
  • filmfanatic29
    Options
    Zumba!!!! ZUMBA.... DANCING.... KICKBOXING... anything to release that bottled up energy that makes you want to lash out. I love my Zumba and although I would never let anyone see me doing it, I get so much enjoyment out of just cutting loose and dancing.... so freeing.....

Exercising definitely does impact your mood! I do Zumba 4x a week and I find that when I don't go I'm actually more cranky. It's fun to lose yourself in activity for a while. Also reading, drawing, or listening to music can help soothe me
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Generally.. find a pillow and pound it.. Or bash the pillow against the bed.

Exercise for me only helps with anger in the long run, not the short term.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    sadly not well. but for me the bigger problem is how do I handle hurt - because I tend to last out with inappropriate anger.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I stab people with frozen garlic bread.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? I'm just asking because when MFP dropped me from my 1440 cal, to 1240 calories, I was pissed off ALL THE TIME. I was just irritated at the world. I bumped my calories back up to 1440, and have been fine since. I think I was really just not eating enough.

I've also read that fat helps improve your mood while dieting, (healthy fats, like avocado)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I find that eating so many less calories than I am used to eating I become angry!!!! I have done research on the topic and found many who diet and show self control prefer angry movies and looking at angry faces, their thinking is that exhibiting self control make one angry and well, "misery loves company," but none of the article I read told me how to handle the anger. So I ask you, how do you handle it with out over eating????

If its effecting you that much then you probably need to eat more... or do you fancy being angry for the rest of your life...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    walking, jogging, running up stairs. keep going till no longer angry or pass out from exhaustion.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I dance. I put on music and just dance.

Well if you can call what I do dancing...... :laugh:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the comments so far. Exercise should help because it releases endorphins. I almost always feel better after I exercise.

Another thing you could do is to find a meal plan that better satiates you throughout the day so you're not angry. When you eat lean protein and carbs with a lower glycemic index value, you're more likely to stay full longer and you don't create insulin spikes/sugar cravings. I find this helps me stick to my calorie count AND stay satisfied throughout the day.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I go for a long walk with my dog. She loves me unconditionally, loves our walks and always seems to cheer me up. Once walking I think about what I'm angry at, and usually it ends up that I've over reacted.
  • kidrobot3
    kidrobot3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to increase your calories slightly, re-evaluate your carb intake (when I did atkins for one week I was miserable!), exercise, and do deep breathing exercises.
  • Linda_Ff
    Options
    Currently MFP has me at 1200 calories. I changed my activity level in my settings, and it didn't bump up my calories at all. I am either more active than I realize or something is not calculating right....
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I find I'm usually angrier after I workout lmao. I just think calming thoughts and that usually helps.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Exercise -- helps with you rmood and gives you more calories to play with. I have a friend who cleans when she's mad. Loudly! But seriously, if you are eating so little that you are irritable/angry all the time, that's not sustainable. Maybe you need to play around with your calories/ protein /exercise or whatever to find something you can live with long-term.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Set PR's in the gym.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running works better than Xanax for me.

And if it's hunger related crabbiness, I eat, and something carby works best. The sky is bluer, the sun brighter and the clouds fluffier after having an asiago cheese bagel. :smile:
  • Linda_Ff
    Options
    All great ideas. Thanks everyone, I will be talking with my dr when we move to try and come up with proper amount for my calories, and I will for sure be working on trying some of these ideas to help. :smile:
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I usually get angry if my sugar is low - maybe yours is too? We need some sugar, so be sure not to cut it all out. A piece of fruit (especially some grapes) can do the trick. Also, an angry run, some deep breathing and positive self talk works too. I love fast angry music and an angry run. I'm always happier after! :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Coffee and sweet potatoes.