question about calorie distribution

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
So a UK mfp pal and I sent each other a box of yummy treats and staples. I got into this box last night haha and went over my calorie limit, so I decided to use my calories for today on my calories from last night. So I am fasting until dinner. Is this a horrible thing to do just for one day. I am not that hungry anyway and I have been drinking lots of tea and water. I just really don't want to set myself back by gaining, and I know calories are more important on a week to week than a day to day count.......so any reason this is a bad idea?

just a side note, I am not looking at this as punishing myself for overeating, this isn't a mental thing for me. But thanks guys for being concerned enough to bring it up. I have a pretty healthy mentality about eating and don't fall prey to diet pills, quick fixes, or ED's

Replies

• kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I've done similar things. You won't die or anything. lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    so any reason this is a bad idea?

Yes, sort of.

If you are doing this because you feel guilty about what you ate yesterday, you could be exhibiting eating disorder behaviors.
    As a general rule, unless you are specifically planning to do this behavior as part of your dieting program, your best bet during a slip-up is to resume your plan the next day, not to overcompensate.
  • HunterCML
    Options
    Weekly body weight fluctuations will ultimately be a function of weekly energy (calorie) intake/expenditure balance, yes. However, dietary compensation out of fear or obsession is not healthy and can lead (or is a sign) to an eating disorder. When you have a bad diet day, you should just continue on instead of worrying. Consistency is what matters in the end.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I wouldn't say I feel guilty about what I at yesterday at all.........it was delicious and totally worth it. The only reason I am doing this is because I see that I can make up for the calories and it's easy for me. Plus I figured it's only a day and I definitely won't make it a habit. Next time I will probably just exercise more instead.....just don't have time to make it up that way today.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are intermittent fasting plans which allow for eating during a certain time frame and fasting for another time frame so you definitely won't do any harm to your body by holding off on eating for the day.

That said, I have to agree with the previous posters. Freaking out over one day's caloric overload and compensating by fasting, purging, pills or what have you is a very slippery slope. You're better off realizing that today is a new day and vowing to learn from yesterday's mistake when the urge to overeat strikes again.
  • temperoath
    Options
    Don't punish yourself by fasting...punish yourself with exercise! One day won't kill you...just get back on the horse tomorrow. Its the trends over time that count.
  • HunterCML
    Options
    I wouldn't say I feel guilty about what I at yesterday at all.........it was delicious and totally worth it. The only reason I am doing this is because I see that I can make up for the calories and it's easy for me. Plus I figured it's only a day and I definitely won't make it a habit. Next time I will probably just exercise more instead.....just don't have time to make it up that way today.

I believe you may really enjoy an eating protocol called Intermittent Fasting. May I recommend you look into Martin Berkhan's "LeanGains" dieting protocol or Brad Pilon's "eat stop eat"?

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    http://bradpilon.com/tag/eat-stop-eat/

It isn't for everyone, just a suggestion.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, except a little backwards. I usually can't eat all my exercise calories on days I have swim practice, so the next day I'll eat a little more calories (only if I'm hungry though, which I usually am!) xD
  • Grimmerick
    Options

I believe you may really enjoy an eating protocol called Intermittent Fasting. May I recommend you look into Martin Berkhan's "LeanGains" dieting protocol or Brad Pilon's "eat stop eat"?

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    http://bradpilon.com/tag/eat-stop-eat/

It isn't for everyone, just a suggestion.

Thanks!! I will look into it, I am definitely more of a night eater. I eat during the day and it's usually very healthy but that night monster always tries to get me.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Like most things, it just depends on your individual metabolism. Personally, I need to eat every few hours or I get cranky, tired & miserable. But I know a lot of people who do intermittent fasts all the time and claim that it is very beneficial. So I'd say, listen to your body, try it out, and if you're starving & miserable at the end of the day, don't do it again! :smile:
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Like most things, it just depends on your individual metabolism. Personally, I need to eat every few hours or I get cranky, tired & miserable. But I know a lot of people who do intermittent fasts all the time and claim that it is very beneficial. So I'd say, listen to your body, try it out, and if you're starving & miserable at the end of the day, don't do it again! :smile:

Very sound advice! I am one of those people who need to eat reguarly, so it's definitely not for me, but worth looking into.