Did you get treated differently after losing weight?

miam4nia
miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
I want to know how your family, friends, acquaintances, and strangers treated you differently (both in good and bad ways) after you lost the weight!

Replies

• FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Yes, you get hit on by random people much more! But other than that my family and friends have always treated me the same.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    my mom said if i looked the way i do now when i was in high school i would have had a ton of boy friends
    my mom also said that a cousin of mine told her i lost my weight from drugs. wtf!!!
    my one friend stopped talkin to me! she gained weight and i kept my weight off
    my friends that i had before and still talk to are happy for me alot of times they would ask how i did it and wished that they could lose weight too
    theres a ton of guys that always hit on me.... when i was 85lbs heavier guys always looked the other way
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I've had a friend's girlfriend get weird with me since I've started losing weight. She's pretty big- t shirts all the time and would go swimming in jeans and a t shirt over summer. I would love to help her, but lately she seems to act *****y towards me. She was always nice to me when I was big, but now it's completely different. I try to be nice to her but she just ignores me. And my fiance's cousin is always calling me Skinny when he sees me. It's nice though to have a confidence boost without "asking" for it, ya know.
  • amylanphierd
    amylanphierd Posts: 20 Member
    My Sister-in-law is completely jealous and acts like it is no big deal that I have lost almost 40 pounds. Acts like anyone can do it pretty easily. We never really got along well in the first place, and I'm not going to let her get me down by her insults.
  • Family and friends didn't really treat me any differently, other than being more complimentary. Everyone was really supportive. The only difference I noted was more attention from the opposite sex, which on one hand is frustrated because it's like "Hey! same person here! You know, the one you paid NO attention to when I was heavier!"

But then again, I'm not the same person.. I'm more confident and outgoing than I was at my heaviest, so maybe that comes across as well. *shrug*

(by the way, your starting weight and goals are almost the exact same that mine are/were)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I get more smiles from women now but I don't know if that's from looking better or that I just carry myself more confidently now. I've also found that I tend to walk around with a smile more often now too, without realizing I'm doing it. So, I think it's more that I project myself differently now.
  • YES! I am the youngest of 9. My whole family is overweight and eats a lot of southern cooking. Since I am not as heavy as the rest of my family, they felt I didn't need to lose weight. Even though I am only 5'3 and was close to 180 lbs at one point. I am now down to 142 and they are very unsupportive.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Yes, I did. Strangers treated me better but my family treated me worse. My mom would constantly ridicule my weight loss. I stopped eating fast food and junk food and she always wants to go out to eat and has a house full of crap but I wouldn't eat it so she would get upset and she would get upset when I would run. She actually told me she liked me better when I was fat.
    But strangers and co workers started treating me better. People started taking me more serious
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    My cousin said when she lost weight guys would hit on her so much more and people were generally nicer. We got on the subject one night at the bar after this guy who was talking to her walked away. She told me, yeah that guy basically blew me off before when I was heavier and would never talk to her.. Now he does since she is thin. What a crock of *kitten* if you ask me... People are jerks!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Yes.

I am not even anywhere close to finished and it has happened.

The good attention... Enjoy it. Revel in it.

The negative comments... shrug them off.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    I am big again for the second time. When I lost the weight the first time I found people were friendlier towards me. I guess fat makes people think I am mean or just unfriendable. Sort of a sad comment on society. I am worried that one of my heavy girlfriends won't want to be friends anymore. She wants to lose but can't make the commitment right now.

I guess it goes both ways. Some people can't get past appearances.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Positive
    - Made a lot more friends
    - Girlfriend appreciates my body

Negatives
    - Girlfriend very jealous and insecure, fear that I might meet someone better
  • athenawho
    athenawho Posts: 253
    Family is excited for me, and very supportive. Boyfriend and best friend couldn't care less (its ok though haha) and I've have a few strangers hit on me.

I didn't like them hitting on my though, it's like most guys really don't know how to talk to women...I don't know any woman in her right mind would go with a man she met after he spews out some stupid line about her legs or *kitten*.

....maybe I watch too many murder mysteries but I wouldn't go!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Strangers treat me differently. I get a lot more doors opened for me. A man offered to help me load my groceries last week. My mom got tickled at lunch yesterday because the waiter didnt even acknowledge her at all when she would talk to him - so I had to do all the ordering, etc... I have to say - its weird!
    My family is somewhat supportive. They dont try and accommodate for my diet but they really shouldnt have to. I just try and plan ahead. When I was home last, there was a lot of poking fun at it amongst my cousins/siblings. Stuff about me getting a sugar daddy or being a muscle-y gym rat. I think its hard for family to suddenly see you in a whole new way. I just attributed it to that and took it as a compliment that no one could stop talking about it. :laugh:
  • My Mother God Bless her is 69, and has been short and chunky her whole life, well she has lost 55 pounds is back in the 100 instead of the 200's. One of my self absorbed cousins came for a visit and not a word,, on how Mom looks better.

I felt bad but considered the source.

I love my Mom and am damn proud of her !

As for me, I have gotten a few more looks now that I'm down 90 pounds, but my phone isn't ringing off the hook yet, despite my rugged good looks and charming personality.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    My family and friends (the real ones) have been nothing but completely supportive.

I have one "friend" that is extremely complimentary to my face, but mutual friends have told me she talks crap behind my back saying that I had to have had weight loss surgery. I'm not knocking anybody who has had WLS, but it wasn't the way for me and I would have absolutely admitted it if I had gone that route. It's not my fault that this "friend" is not willing/able to put in the effort...

The only thing that really bugs me (other than the above mentioned friend) is the immediate attention that I get when shopping. I have never met as many helpful store associates as I have since I am smaller. Apparently, getting healthy and losing weight results in an immediate influx of additional money. Who knew?! :grumble:
  • I just went home for a visit after not being there for 13 months (I am in the military, stationed on opposite coast from family), and I did feel treated differently. Some people supportive but got vibe from others that they were jealous/insecure/etc. The worst was my dad though, who walked past me as I was trying to squeeze in some P90X exercise time on his back deck and said "you're too skinny Angie". I replied "no, I'm not" and he said "yes, you are" and kept walking. I am no where near too skinny (I'm 5'5 and 135lbs), I still have some fatty tissue in all the normal areas a woman has probs with....what I'm saying is I know I am not anywhere close to an unhealthy weight and in denial and need my family to step in. I'm just trying to be stronger and healthier, not skinny. I was letting it bother me for a bit, but then I realized that it is his/their prob, not mine, and you cannot change others. Besides, I appreciated my newly gained strength in my body when I went trapeze flying the next afternoon and did not struggle with some moves that require good core strength! :)
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    I have to say my family is really supportive of my weight loss I have tried so many times over the years and just couldn't do anything for a long period of time. it actually helped recently when we lost my Step Brother to deal with the grief cause I got a lot of compliments on my weight loss and my progress and it allowed me to keep my mind off of the death a bit. I haven't really noticed much in the way of strangers but then again I have a huge flashy rock on my finger so the men tend to stay away. I am also still pretty fat even after losing 50 lb but when I tell people that I have lost 50 lbs they are amazed.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    When I lost/got really fit I noticed that I turned a lot of heads, but I also got a lot of snide comments from co-workers (I don't think they meant any harm, but still). Now that I am "big" again (7 months pregnant) the comments have REALLY come out: "Gosh, you are getting fat!", "Guess you won't be running for a while...hahaha", etc. I never knew what people thought about me getting in shape until I got big again...seems they are all quite happy with my weight gain.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    My family said their "congrats" but then they started treating me as if I have no idea what they go through bc I'm "skinny." I was bigger than any of them, the difference is I refused to stay that way. They complain about being too big but when I offer to help them they r like " no we like to EAT not starve ourselves" I wish they could see that what I do isn't starving myself at all its being healthy.