Is it wrong to aim for 2lbs weight loss a week?

Options
im interested in hearing answers about this too. I want to lose weight as well but i set my goals for 2 lbs a week. I want to lose the fat but i want to make sure its kept off. Should i change mine?

im 5'8

SW: 232 (Sept 20,2011)
CW: 218
GW: 190

my current goal calorie is 1440.

This can be helpful for others. All opinions will be helpful!

Replies

• schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering the same thing! lol
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    NO. @lbs is fine.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Yes -- unless you have 75+ lbs to lose, choose 2lbs a week is not a good choice.

Here are guidlelines to setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    2 pounds is fine at first. I started out losing about that, but after I lost quite a bit, I had to reevaluate.
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the amount of weight you need to lose. I have 89 lbs to go before I hit my ultimate goal weight of 160, so 2lbs/week for me is feasible. I will eventually adjust it down to 1.5/ week, then 1/week and maybe even once I am down to 160 I will change it to 0.5/ week. It also has a lot to do with your body, can your body sustain itself on those calories healthily and lose? Just keep tweaking it and you will settle into a loss that is right for you.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    that's fine to aim for 2 lbs/week. most experts say that losing weight at a 1-2 lb/week clip is the best rate to keep it off. of course, since you don't have a ton to lose, your body may resist giving up 2 lbs every week....but that's just the nature of weight loss.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    IMHO, 2 lbs a week is kinda pushing it. and 1440 calories doesn't sound like nearly enough for your gender, height, and weight. but hey, just like anything else, try it and see what happens. and if it's not something you can sustain long-term, adjust the numbers. or you can try alternative calorie goals from one week to the next, to keep your body guessing. there are a lot of possibilities. you just hafta pay attention to your body and it'll let you know what it needs.

good luck!
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would think if you aim for 2 and then don't make it each week you'll be disappointed. I shoot for 1 and then if I lose more it's a bonus. I've been here 10 weeks and have lost 18 lbs. Shoot for an average then over time and then you'll be delighted when it's more.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You may find it is fine to start with but you may want to reduce it to 1lb a week later on. Whatever works for you. If you find yourself getting too hungry it might be an idea to try 1.5lb instead. Listen to your body and do what works for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    see thats the thing... i have been able to handle it this long... for me the first week was the trial... now im just used to it. Its not a big deal. Im not as hungrier as before but i will aim to get to the limit and thats it.

i feel good and i dont feel any weirder than before. its been good so far and nice to see the scale these days. I mean i want to keep it off so i might tweak it as the weeks come by. Plus my ultimate cheat day is Thanksgiving so i havent even messed the diet up yet.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would aim for 1 pound a week loss & if you can stay another 500 calories under your daily goal you'll lose another pound... but at least your numbers won't turn red & make you feel bad if you go over. 1000 calorie defecit in food alone is not that easy & you want to set yourself up for ongoing success :)
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Yes -- unless you have 75+ lbs to lose, choose 2lbs a week is not a good choice.

Here are guidlelines to setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week

Thanks for the guidelines!
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    see thats the thing... i have been able to handle it this long... for me the first week was the trial... now im just used to it. Its not a big deal. Im not as hungrier as before but i will aim to get to the limit and thats it.

i feel good and i dont feel any weirder than before. its been good so far and nice to see the scale these days. I mean i want to keep it off so i might tweak it as the weeks come by. Plus my ultimate cheat day is Thanksgiving so i havent even messed the diet up yet.

If you're already been doing that few for a while -- and especially as a man, your body is probably just starving.
    That seems ridiculously low to me -- mine is higher and I'm only 5'4" and female --
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you only have 40 lbs left to lose, it's possible to lose 2 lbs per week so why not try? Typically once you get to about 20 lbs left, it'll be harder to lose more than 1 lb per week. Just make sure you're getting adequate nutrients, protein, and water so you'll have enough energy to function. If you stop losing or become lethargic, you should definitely eat more calories. Typically you shouldn't net less than 1200 - or 1500 if you're a man.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's healthy and safe to, but as you have a lot of weight to lose, I'm guessing you may find jumping down to 1440 calories a day a culture shock. You're gonna need to probably do quite a lot of daily physical activity in order to eat as you used to or just really massively have self discipline. It may be easier trying to lose 1lb a week for a week or 2 and getting used to less food and more exercise and then upping it and upping your level of activity further and food intake less. Might be more successful..I don't know your character, current activity levels, what you currently eat and how motivated you are! :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I went from 1 to 1.5 simply because I was going over calories sometimes and wanted to build in more room for error.
  • Atrianna
    Options
    IMO, the reason behind the appropriate amount of weight loss per week has more to do with being able to sustain the lifestyle changes after losing the weight than how fast you loose it. It would be fine to lose 5 lbs per week IF you could maintain it afterwards. 99% of people can't though, the changes to lose that much weight is too drastic and they go back to previous habits and gain the weight back. If you are comfortable with your diet on a 2lb per week weight loss, then go for it. If you struggle with it, try 1 1/2 or 1 lb. It just has to be something you can sustain since chances are you will have to eat approximately the same at your goal weight as you do now to lose it.

When I started, I emptied the kitchen, came up with an eating plan I could live with, tried it for a month and THEN created my 1 1/2 lb per week goal based on what I lost and because I knew I could continue eating this way. The guidelines others have posted are a good place to start, but ultimately, it's what works for you.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I started with 2 pounds a week goal and had a lot lose. You can always adjust when you've lost some weight.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Changing your goals to even 1.5 lbs a week gives you 1650 a day -- which seems a lot more realistic.
    1lb/week gives you 1900 a day -- and probably something you can live with a lot easier and not feel like you're on a diet.

I would also suggest changing your MFP settings --- your daily carbs are almost 3 times higher than your protein.
    Your protein is very low and should be closer to 1g per pound of your current weight.

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom
    Enter you calores -- I would personally choose something between the numbers above like 1750
    Change your percentages (maybe 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat -- I actually have mine at 45% protein/25% carb but thats hard for most people to manage)

Protein will make you feel full for longer.

Your goal here is to find a healthy way of eating that you can live with -- not a temporary diet.

I would also try to eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Sopme people eat them all -- but I aim for half just to account for miscalculations in the database and even the potential that my HRM is off sometimes.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    when it comes to calories, i set my MFP setting to losing 1 lb per week, and i end up losing 2lbs/week. maybe it's because i'm more active than i think i am, but the more calories i eat, the more i lose.

as for having a "goal", it's not wrong, but don't push yourself too hard. i'd stick with small changes that you can keep up with forever. you're body's gonna do what it feels like, so just be healthy, and the weight will come off how it wants to.