Pregnant with 4th and not wanting to gain too much again!

Options
I'm pregnant with my fourth baby (which I'm very excited about!) but I didn't lose the weight that I wanted to before getting pregnant. I am actually considered "obese" already because my BMI is about 31 or something. I am hoping that if I continue to exercise and eat healthy (more than 1200 calories though) that I will be able to maintain my weight during pregnancy. In the past I have gained 62, 26 and 32 pounds with my previous pregnancies. I feel like since I'm already overweight, I should be able to maintain or gain a minimal amount by being healthy. Has anyone else been able to do this and have a healthy pregnancy? How many calories did you try to consume per day?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor and see what he/she has to say. Explain your concerns. I gained 37 withi my first (and only one i gave birth to so far).
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I started my fourth and fifth pregnancies out being too big already... I gained 14 with my fourth, and 18 with the last. I didn't necessarily count calories, but I tried to just eat better foods since I was already so big to start. You should not maintain your weight. Even starting out overweight, the docs recommend a gain of around 15 pounds.

Congrats and good luck!!
  • dinnae
    dinnae Posts: 28
    Options
    first of all - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Yay! how EXCITING for you! :):)

I gain a LOT when i`m pregnant (over 60 lbs for pregnancy 3 O_o), so I know how you feel. I know that when I talked to my dr, his recommendation was to walk. Lots and lots of walking. And that helps with swelling too at the end of the pregnancy. I also know that every pregnancy authority out there will encourage you to seek out Weight Watchers if you truly need to `diet`... they have a fantastic program for nursing and pregnant mothers that is unparalleled. their online program is only $21ish per month, here in Canada anyway, and I think it`s cheaper per month in the US.

I also did a google search for caloric needs for pregnancy, and found this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm and it is REALLY cool! (wish I`d been on MFP during my last pregnancy, AND had this calculator... LOL!)

And, here is a good article on overall nutrition during pregnancy: http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp

Good luck! :) And congrats again!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    That calculator is AWESOME!!!! There's a BF calories calculator on the right side! LOVE IT!
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    Congratulations!! I was "obese" w/ a BMI ~32 when I got pregnant w/ my son. I gained 17lbs during my pregnancy. I was lucky in that i didn't have much of an appetite. I drank a lot of water and tea (didn't want coffee for some reason) and I tried to eat small meals several times a day. I was also a nurse in a busy ICU so I walked a lot when I was at work.
  • biederwoman
    biederwoman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I do plan to discuss this with my doctor. I will be ecstatic if I can gain less than 20 lbs!! I think its awesome that you were able to do that, frugalmomsrock! Dinnae - thank you for the calculator and article! Very helpful. I am hoping to be the healthiest that I can be - for me and the baby. Thanks again!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Discuss it with your Doctor. I as overweight with all of mine... Gained 50 with 1st, 32 with 2nd, 22 with 3rd, 8 with fourth ( lost that little one), 42 with the fifth.

I lost 30 lbs with my 3rd, I didn't know I was pregnant until almost 5 months along... Long story short, had been laid off from my job after almost 5 years, I was under a lot of stress.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Discuss it with your Doctor. I as overweight with all of mine... Gained 50 with 1st, 32 with 2nd, 22 with 3rd, 8 with fourth ( lost that little one), 42 with the fifth.

I lost 30 lbs with my 3rd, I didn't know I was pregnant until almost 5 months along... Long story short, had been laid off from my job after almost 5 years, I was under a lot of stress.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Once you find out how many calories to have and how much you should gain with doctor you'll be fine as long
    as you log. So far as I'm logging I seem to gain fine. (Its my First pregnancy on MFP!) Figure out how much weight you
    should be gaining by week so you can keep an eye on it every week. If you're anything like me....watch to stay
    under in sodium to keep preclamsia away!! That sure has been a challenge for me. Congrats!!!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy and normal with my 4 yearold I was almost 200lbs when I got pregnant with him and I'm only 5ft lol but Dr told me I didnt have to gain as long as I was eating right that the baby gets what they need first they dont recommend under 2000cal I had lost 3 lbs when I had him and after him I was almost 160's and he was my biggest baby yet he was 6lbs 15 and 3/4 oz almost 7lbs!!! I looked amazing and felt great after him!!! Just talk to your Doctor and see what he says Mine said mine would get what he needed and help me loose weight if I was just continuing my regular diet!!!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just started accepting members for our Fit pregnancy group on facebook! Let me know if you're interested!!
  • biederwoman
    biederwoman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! Please send me the info. Thanks!