Help for a sweet tooth

Options
I have an insatiable sweet tooth- chocolate and sugar are kryptonite....any tips to avoiding these ridiculous cravings or substitutes??

Replies

• emkc
    emkc Posts: 6
    Options
    I have an insatiable sweet tooth- chocolate and sugar are kryptonite....any tips to avoiding these ridiculous cravings or substitutes??
  • stephfannie86
    Options
    strawberries and your could add some cool whip. Check out the frozen section. "Smart ones" makes a couple of smaller portioned desserts that are really yummy. Skinny cow ice cream is great too! I know what you mean I love ice cream!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    edited
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Target- sugar-free jello has been my favorite lately. It's only 10 calories. I usually add fresh strawberries or blackberries to it. Yum!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Gum was my savior. Also, Trader Joes chocolate merengue mini-cookies, about 10 calories each. I would also put low-calorie chocolate syrup on something - a half a banana, or something less calorie dense.
    Here's another trick: tell youself you can have chocolate, but only at the end of the day, as the last thing you eat (and make it a reasonable portion). When I did this, it stopped that deprived feeling that usually makes me binge, and sometimes at the end of the day I would want it less and I would skip it (because then I felt stronger than the chocolate and could be self-congratulatory. Take that chocolate!)

Also, don't be hungry when you eat chocolate. You'll eat it too fast, and probably eat more.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it is about choices....if you are happy with your health, why take a step backwards....there are healthy snacks that wont cause the insulin reaction that sugar does
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    get nude
    stand in front of mirror
    decide

I don't like this. I happen to like the way I look. And I've seen myself an extra 5 pounds heavier (which is quite a lot of chocolate) and I like the way I look that way too.

We're talking about health here. You can lose weight and be unhealthy - there's plenty of people making money off of that, with Nutra Sweet at Atkins lined up.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Uh, thanks Dave. Personally I try to find things that I can track easily on here, and I track them as soon as I eat them, if I absolutely have to have them. (I have a terrible sweet tooth as well, but I find if I don't allow myself some sweet things once in a while, I totally fall off the wagon). I like Jello 100 calorie chocolate puddings, they're delish and just the right size, and none of that yucky fake sugar I can't stand. I also like the Hershey's 60 cal chocolate sticks, and lately I've taken to jelly beans - they're everywhere now that Easter is coming, and I like to get starburst jellybeans and measure them out in shot glasses. One shot glass is almost exactly 1 serving, so I can see it easily and track it easily as well.

Hope this is helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am not a sweet tooth person per-se, but I do like the Weight Watcher Smart Ones Brownie ala mode selection - it's really good. My bf has the sweet tooth and I have been buying him the 100 cal m&m packets in a box, he gets his fix and doesn't over do it.
  • emkc
    emkc Posts: 6
    Options
    ahh! thanks...these are all great suggestions. I know I'm going to have it either way (whether i look at myself naked or not haha) so it helps to have good substitutions =]
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Make a deal with yourself. One desert equals a little extra cardio time. I like the Weight Watchers Smart Ones Deserts. You can normally find them on sale and they range from like 120 to 220 in calories. 30 minutes on a bike or a 30 minute walk and you have more than earned it!
  • Skrib
    Skrib Posts: 18
    Options
    This will sound a little cliche, but I know people who swear that fruit is the answer to the sweet tooth, it just takes a little re-engineering of your head. I heard frozed grapes are a great sweet snack (sound a little wierd to me).

On the other hand its a shame to deny something you really do like, perhaps you just need to set goals in terms of how often you treat yourself and break habits (its common to snack in the evening watching TV for example...after a while the two go hand in hand and its twice as hard to change).
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This will sound a little cliche, but I know people who swear that fruit is the answer to the sweet tooth, it just takes a little re-engineering of your head. I heard frozed grapes are a great sweet snack (sound a little wierd to me).

On the other hand its a shame to deny something you really do like, perhaps you just need to set goals in terms of how often you treat yourself and break habits (its common to snack in the evening watching TV for example...after a while the two go hand in hand and its twice as hard to change).

I don't know about frozen grapes, but frozen bananas are awesome. You can cut bananas in half, wrap them in wax paper, put them in a freezer bag, and they can be kept in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Makes me feel like I'm having a nice dessert. :laugh:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    fat free/sugar free fudgsicles
  • caralhill
    Options
    I bake constantly and absolutely adore cookies and brownies and cheesecake- but I only allow myself a small portion, and I make sure to really savor it. I don't focus on anything else but the deliciousness in my mouth, and chew slowly. I might look a bit odd, but I crave it less and less with each second.

Also, I've read recently that having the way to reduce the craving for a certain food- like cookies- is to have one every day for two weeks. I did it with my chocolate chip cookies, and I haven't wanted a cookie for over three months. As long as you stick to one, it's only around 120 calories, which is super easy to budget into your daily intake.

The way I see it, food is a blessing. Don't ever treat it as though it's the enemy, or it will conquer you.
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also like the sugar free jello-Walmart has a 24 pack for under $3. Then I'll add some cool whip in a can, so it's 20 calories total; works for me!
  • jbeaverstock
    Options
    skinny cow products actually have more carbs per serving than things like fruite popscicles. Just looking at the nutrition chart on the side does wonders for your buying habits.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options

The way I see it, food is a blessing. Don't ever treat it as though it's the enemy, or it will conquer you.

You know, I haven't really thought of it that way before, but that's true isn't it? Thanks!