Is it true ladies...

Options
That when we're on our period we can consume an extra 500 calories? I heard this rumour today and was wondering if it is true?

Sally

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I doubt it.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    :( not for me
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    never heard it...but I bet most of us used to ....
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    unless you wanna gain a whole pound or more...i wouldn't do it!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I heard several years back that our bodies burn more calories during menstruation. Google around and you will find opposing opinions. If you think it's worth the risk then go for it. But personally, I don't do it.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific proof to support that. Medical experts believe the most a woman can burn extra during their period week is 100 to 200 calories during the entire cycle.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That's a new one.

Never heard of that one before.. I highly doubt it though.....
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It's true for me. I burn a lot of calories during that time b*tch slapping ignorant people around me who annoy me. Hence, more calories to consume.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I call bullsh*t! If anything watch your sodium intake to prevent further bloating.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I try not to go over, period or no.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I do whatever the fack I want when I'm on my period and you best stay out of the goddamn way. LOL!!!!!!!
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Haven't heard that! I'd definitely drink more water during TOM to counteract the bloating
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i think i probably consume more than an extra 500 via chocolate
  • Xandralexa
    Options
    I guess it depends on your body. My menstrual cycle has not disrupted my weight loss, I hear this a lot though. It never makes sense to me.
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the calorie count is (it's probably different for each woman), but I think that our bodies do burn a little extra during that time because it's doing extra work getting rid of the uterine lining... Same concept as breast feeding or pregnancy... Your body has added more biological processes to it's usual routine, therefore the cells are consuming more energy and require more fuel than usual. I wouldn't use it as an excuse to pig out during that week, but I believe there is a little truth behind it. It would be interesting to know the exact extra calorie burn, though.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's true for me. I burn a lot of calories during that time b*tch slapping ignorant people around me who annoy me. Hence, more calories to consume.

LOL.
  • QueenCat25
    Options
    I've heard of that before, but I still stay within calorie range. If I do burn an extra 500 calories per day while on TOM, then that's an extra pound I'll lose that week. ;)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Should I? Nope.

Do I? Sometimes...
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    I know I want to, lol!
  • shonasteele
    Options
    I do whatever the fack I want when I'm on my period and you best stay out of the goddamn way. LOL!!!!!!!
    :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: