Is it true ladies...

Options

Replies

• jwhit8791
    Options
    Wow.....had not ever heard that........I know that I have been told that I get an extra 500 because I am nursing a newborn. I would rather not use them but it's nice to know that they are there.
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    Not being a lady, I can't say I'm an expert.
    What I can say is when a woman is menstruating I wouldn't dare tell her that she can't eat 500 extra calories...
  • sally1992
    Options
    haha! I'm not going to risk it, I was just seeing if it was true as it seemed abit far fetched and also too good to be true!
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do whatever the fack I want when I'm on my period and you best stay out of the goddamn way. LOL!!!!!!!

LMAO! Yeah!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Huh? I've heard 300 extra when you're preggo, 500 when breastfeeding. Never heard anything about eating more when on your period. I definitely don't..
  • stephiejones
    Options
    I would not do it, lol when im on mine, i try and eat less to make sure when im thru i weight less lol...:wink:
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Never heard that before...though so many women complain of weight gain during that TOM that maybe everyone does it!? I, personally, don't do anything differently during my period than I would normally... (in other words, if I'm eating badly I continue to do so, if I'm doing well I continue that!)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Nope..but our bodies do crave things every now and then,...and could be because we are lacking that in our eating... what's crazy is the day before TOM hit me..I did eat like a ton of carbs...which did in fact make me feel yucky..but...like I said...everyone's different..

sometimes i crave a big juicy steak with the whole shebang!

AND then there's the salty/chocolate times...

and then sometimes I don't crave not one thing....

Crazy female body..haha!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, (which is really difficult today b/c of aforementioned topic), I would say don't risk it. It's probably something some man came up with to sell us more wine and chocolate.

mmmm, wine.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, (which is really difficult today b/c of aforementioned topic), I would say don't risk it. It's probably something some man came up with to sell us more wine and chocolate.

mmmm, wine.

mmmm chocolate.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. However, the first couple days of my period I consider to be "cheat days" and I eat at maintenance, instead of deficit. Which is 500+ calories... however, I don't think I'm just eating back what I'm burning; I'm just hungry and grumpy in pain and tired and willing to take a couple days of not losing or gaining anything.

If there is an increased calorie burn, it's not enough to consider adding an extra 500 calories and thinking you're still at a deficit.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i think i probably consume more than an extra 500 via chocolate

Omg me too. Its terrible. I am not even a chocolate person but I swear some weird chemical thing makes me NEED it. Thank goodness for frozen yogurt =P

Oh but, no, it is not true, you do not burn that many extra calories. Your body does burn a little more, just like when it goes through any process, but it does not require that many calories except maybe in extreme circumstances.

I wonder how many calories giving birth consumes. Probably a trillion! Food for thought :)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's true for me. I burn a lot of calories during that time b*tch slapping ignorant people around me who annoy me. Hence, more calories to consume.

Hahahaha. *Ducks for cover*
  • sally1992
    Options
    A few days before and during the time you are menstruating, you do burn more calories due to the additional cellular activity taking place internally. Some female metabolisms may increase up to 15% during this time due to hormonal changes and loss of blood. The increase in metabolism can lead to an increase in appetite in order to compensate for the greater calorie burn

That seems like a very logical explanation!?
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the general consensus... I wouldn't do it... I'd prefer to have the extra 500 calorie deficit... but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we did burn more during that week. Even if it's only a little.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that.....if I were you, I wouldn't chance it
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    And for those wondering about PMS/TOM "weight gain" -- it's not actually weight gain, as in increased fat or muscle. It's generally water weight, which fluctuates from day to day anyway, but tends to increase during that time of month, hence the bloating. :grumble:
  • sally1992
    Options

mmmm, wine.

Ha thats more Logical! LOL
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that ever....I wouldn't even think about eating extra..thats me