ATTN: Breastfeeding Moms

Options
How many extra calories are you taking in to keep your supply up?

Replies

• alanabancroft
    Options
    They say that you only need around 200 extra calories, depending on how much your baby is taking in. I would recommend drinking a lot of water. That's the one thing that keeps my supplies up.Also a lot of water based fruits help too. As far as calories I try not to over analyze. As long as you're still producing enough for your baby I wouldn't add to much extra.
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Really depends on if you're pumping full time or bf full time or a mix. The pump will never be as efficient as a baby and that's what could be causing supply to dip. Water is key. I also tried oatmeal and the mother's milk tea. Once supply is established (+12 weeks) your body will compensate and make what it needs for your baby unless you're in severe calorie deficit for extended periods of time.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I haven't worried so much about my calorie intake for keeping supply up, seems that as long as I drink plenty of water during the day I don't have any problems. (I also haven't been pushing too hard for weight loss since I had the wee one, I've heard you still need extra weight for breast feeding.)

The information seems to vary on how many extra calories a woman breast feeding burns... I've read anywhere between 300-500 per day so I've been adding 500 calories to my food log. If you search breast feeding (there are two options, both are for -500 cal) you can add it to your food log, that way it will still show a current total of how many calories you have for the day!

Hope this helps!
  • marlacarie
    Options
    My son is 10 months and I eat around 450 extra calories which is probably on the higher end. I'm still losing weight, just slowly. When I first started back in April I would eat 500 extra because all he was eating was breast milk. I put it in as an exercise and it adjusts itself when my weight goes down. But if I feel hungry I eat, no matter what, even if I'm past my calorie intake for the day. When he's weaned I'll really get serious. :) Good luck!
  • PinkDahliaFlower
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

He is 3 months and I have notice since his growth spurt, my supply went up but the last couple days I started watching what I am eating, my supply has tanked.

I added 300 calories to my log today so hopefully it helps. I also have been drinking a ton of water.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I don't count calories. I just eat sensibly and drink a lot of water. I am 2-weeks postpartum and I am back to my pre pregnancy weight already.