Suggestions on a CRUISE....

Options
Hi all,

The wife and I are going on a cruise for Thanksgiving. On the positive side, I won't have to necessarily face the temptation of a massive plate of cornbread dressing....mm.... On the negative side, every day is a massive buffet or unlimited-portion table seating restaurant.

Suggestions for managing this, beyond using a huge dose of self control? How about suggestions on making good choices, esp. at buffets and at formal dinners? What about alcoholic drinks?

Thanks!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    I suggest picking up one of the Eat This, Not That books for food basic food choices. Another good suggestion is portion control, divide your plate as soon as you get it at dinner. If doing a buffet make sure your plate is colorful and not just beige. Stick with smaller portions, lots of colors and drink lots of water to help keep you full.

Alcohol is a huge money maker on the cruise. Most ships do not take cash, the credit card number you give them when boarding the ship is your open tab. Watch what you 'charge' or it can come bite you are the end (when they start calling the names of the people to go to the desk on the last day). Opt for the unlimited soda card (if offered) because that includes Iced Tea and all sodas (even diet) or you will just be sipping on water.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    A cruise is pretty much just a floating buffet.

Odd vacation choice at the best of times if you ask me :huh:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bring exercise clothes!

And try to avoid the buffet. Seriously, that thing is evil. Try to go to the sit-down restaurants.

I gained about 8 lbs on my first cruise because we ate, slept, and ate some more at the delicious buffet.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you like jogging, but most cruise liners have an outdoor track on the top floor. For me, there is absolutely no better place to be running than one where you look out and all you can see is open ocean. I absolutely love it and with a decent music playlist can bang out 90-120 minutes without even really noticing it. I do it when the fiance is sunbathing so it doesn't interfere with activities and such.

That being said I also eat my face off because it's vacation, and usually end up gaining a healthy chunk of weight by the time I get back.
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sit down meals and still keep track of everything.
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    Load up on veggies & fruit. Stay away from things you know are loaded in calories. Get lots of exercise - a lot of those ships have an exercise room, etc.
    And Have Fun! :)
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I will probably get shot for say this, but enjoy the cruise and the food.
    You know what overdoing it feel s like, so use a little self control, but don't make your self suffer.

They have gyms, so I would suggest, that you go the gym and get on a spin bike for about an hour a day. That should give you enough extra calories to eat without worrying about it too awfully much.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Load up on veggies & fruit. Stay away from things you know are loaded in calories. Get lots of exercise - a lot of those ships have an exercise room, etc.
    And Have Fun! :)

THIS x
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm going on a cruise for Thanksgiving too (our second) and I'm not worrying about tracking. For one thing, the internet is like a dollar a minute so it gets very expensive to try to access the food database every time you eat (and obviously no mobile apps because there's no cell service!) For another, the food is delicious! (We are on Royal Caribbean). I work out while on the ship, our shore excursions are always active things (snorkeling, horseback riding, etc), we do lots of walking and take the stairs EVERYWHERE. And then we enjoy ourselves.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The food is free, alcoholic drinks cost $ so you can avoid it to avoid the additional cost.

If you really want to drink at least one night, if you buy duty-free liquor they give you back the bottle on the last nigh so how about you buy 2 bottles then on the last night have a rip roaring party and drink all the $10 Vodca and diet pepsi (if you get a pop-card, usually about $10 for a week long cruise) you can and then take the other bottle back. Athought I think in the US you can take 2 bottles home, if you visit St. Thomas, 4. All not fair since Canadians can only take home 1 per person :(
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As a fellow cruiser, here are some of my tips.

1. Avoid the buffet. If you're sailing on Carnival, at the sit-down restaurant there are something called "spa menu", which has healthier options.

2. Use the gym and the running track on the ship

3. Take the stairs avoid the elevator

4. Take laps around the ship. Enjoy the scenery.

5. Going on excursions that involve some walking/hiking.

5. Drink TONS of water.

Have fun!!!!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about it. no need to ruin an awesome vacation because you're counting your calories. just make healthier choices and enjoy yourself!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    We did a Thanksgiving cruise 6 years and it was great! I didn't have to host, cook, or clean up! :drinker:

Try to keep up with exercising. There's a gym and a walking track and pools, many of the gyms have bikes/ellipticals overlooking the water. Ditto on the colorful things. I was the only one at my table that didn't order the traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner.... I think I got lobster. I figured I didn't want a French chef messing up an American meal. :laugh:

I'll be looking for suggestions, too. We've got one booked for June.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm going on a cruise for Thanksgiving too (our second) and I'm not worrying about tracking. For one thing, the internet is like a dollar a minute so it gets very expensive to try to access the food database every time you eat (and obviously no mobile apps because there's no cell service!) For another, the food is delicious! (We are on Royal Caribbean). I work out while on the ship, our shore excursions are always active things (snorkeling, horseback riding, etc), we do lots of walking and take the stairs EVERYWHERE. And then we enjoy ourselves.

Not true, the MFP app does not require an internet or cellular connection. You can use your iphone, ipod touch or android phone if you want.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, but make sure you lock your luggage before you check it on the pier! I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of LA last year, and a bunch of clothes got stolen out of my suitcases somewhere between checking them and having them delivered to my room.

It still creeps me out that someone is running around out there with one of my used bras.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My husband actually lost weight when we took a cruise to Alaska on Holland America's ship the Zandaam (I didn't lose but managed not to gain). While food was abundantly available, we were also just a couple of flights of stairs away from the gym. This made it easy to duck in for several short sessions of weightlifting or aerobics every day. We also did a huge amount of walking in the cities where we stopped, such as Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan and did quite a bit of walking on the ship.
    I am looking into taking a cruise to the Greek islands next year and I'm noticing that most modern cruise lines realize that not everyone wants to gorge on rich food all day long. Some of the Celebrity ships even have a special Spa restaurant offering healthy alternatives like yogurt parfaits for breakfast.
    Here are a few suggestions for staying healthy and fit while cruising:
    -- Never take the elevator. Make a pact with yourself to take the stairs when you are moving from deck to deck or going to get off the ship.
    -- Get acquainted with the gym. Most cruise ships have well-equipped gyms and offer classes as well. You don't have to get in your car and drive anywhere, so make it a point to get on the treadmill for a half-hour or so in the morning and stop by later in the afternoon for some weight work. You can also use the cruise time to sign up for a class you might not otherwise try, such as pilates or spinning.
    -- Check out the spa. They usually offer good deals on certain days, and it makes you feel healthy to get a massage and maybe take a sauna, even if you're not really burning calories. At least you're not eating, right!
    -- See if there is a walking deck. Many cruise ships have a special deck that functions like a track. If the weather is good, you can walk around and around to your heart's content. You might also find an outdoor basketball court or other sports activities that will help you get a workout.
    -- Make the most of your time in port. Don't just hop on a bus for sightseeing. See what you can walk to. Many port towns are scenic places with hills to climb and quaint streets to explore. Try to spend an hour or so walking and then get on the tour bus or into the taxi. If you are going to Caribbean you can find a lot of great swimming beaches not far from where the boat docks. Just be sure to wear your swimming suit under some other clothes, and you can often swim right from the bars and restaurants on the beach.
    -- Try room service. You might have the greatest resolve to have an egg white omelet for breakfast, but when you get to the buffet and see all the bacon, French toast, pastries, etc., your willpower quickly deserts you. If you order a healthy meal brought to your room you won't have to face all the temptation on an empty stomach.
    -- Avoid alcohol. It's really expensive to drink on board the ship, and it's a lot of empty calories. Since you will have a lot of other things to do, it's a good time to give it up altogether or maybe limit yourself to one glass of wine with dinner.
  • agthorn
    Options

Not true, the MFP app does not require an internet or cellular connection. You can use your iphone, ipod touch or android phone if you want.

I'm very surprised that the entire database is actually downloaded to the app, but it doesn't change my plan :-)
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I'm very surprised that the entire database is actually downloaded to the app, but it doesn't change my plan :-)

The ENTIRE database is not. It's a select database. Nonetheless, you could still use that + the offline mode just for counting purposes... even if it's estimates. I plan to still try to estimate and stay under goal calories. However, I don't want to deny myself everything. I will taste the deserts. I will drink non-sugary alcoholic drinks (I actually dislike most sweet drinks).

Does anyone know if the dining room on Royal Carib. will custom make things, e.g. with no butter, no oil, etc? I could down several lobster tails, but if they're doused in butter, that's probably a bad plan.
  • agthorn
    Options
    The ENTIRE database is not. It's a select database. Nonetheless, you could still use that + the offline mode just for counting purposes... even if it's estimates. I plan to still try to estimate and stay under goal calories. However, I don't want to deny myself everything. I will taste the deserts. I will drink non-sugary alcoholic drinks (I actually dislike most sweet drinks).

Does anyone know if the dining room on Royal Carib. will custom make things, e.g. with no butter, no oil, etc? I could down several lobster tails, but if they're doused in butter, that's probably a bad plan.

I believe so, yes. Specifically for the lobster tails, butter was on the side. You can definitely ask for dressings/etc on the side too. They do have a few healthier options on the menu (chilled fruit soups, fish, etc). I personally tried a bunch of different things though just because it was all included - I'm not going to order escargot at a restaurant when it costs $20! One of our friends ordered four different desserts one night because he couldn't decide (obviously he only had a few bites of each).

Maybe plan to eat a little lighter the week before and after. But really, enjoy yourself :-) It's a fabulous time onboard.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So.... I did the cruise and gained 3lbs... *sigh* ... not excited about that, but hoping to burn that back off this week. Will let y'all know how it goes.