I am thinking f quitting, please help?

Options
Hello,

This is a post about over sharing in the office, I over shared and need advice, please read:

I started work about 2 weeks ago and my manager put my desk in her office, so we are less than 2 feet away from each other without any divider.

We were talking about the thanks giving sale and suddenly I remembered my mom, there is more info you might need to know because I shared that too.

My mom and dad divorced when I was very young and I was raised with my dad and step mom over seas, I didn't meet my mom till I was 19. She was diagnosed with colon cancer Nov 08, I took care of her till she past away Jan of 09 and I started therapy about less than a year ago. I think it is helping and I can finally talk about her and think about her without remembering how terrible it was to watch her die.

My manager was sharing with me what she used to do with her sister in the thanks giving sale. I started to share with her what I used to do with my mom, then I stopped in mid sentence, It was a rarity for me to feel warm and happy when remembering my mom. I found my self silent for a few min, then I looked at her and she was starring at me (like what is going on) so I spilled the beans. I told her all in one sentence My mom and dad divorced when I was little and I finally saw her when I moved back to the states at 19, she is dead now, but when she was a live she had a tradition of going to fred meyers for the after thanks giving sock sale. We started in the line at 3 or 4 am and we had so much fun.

Her response was looking at me funny then saying ok and getting back to work on her computer. This was on Monday, since then she has been treating me differently and I know she said something to my colleagues b/c they had a meeting without me yesterday (I am supposed to be in all the meetings) and after the meeting one of my colleagues came to me to give me advice so that I can fit in easier in my work.

Honestly I don't need this job and they are underpaying me greatly, I am working so I am not bored out of my mind at home.
Do you think I should stay or just quite?

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
  • Nikkiandvicky1955
    Options
    Stay in there because everywhere you go there will always be someone that is causing problems, don't like you, etc. Trust me, I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to do. I retired about 3 years ago, and it has been so hard for me to just sit. I'm always trying to find something to do around the house, but there is only so much you can do. When I'm bored I eat, I've gained quiet a lot of weight since I quit work. So be thankful you have your health and are able to get up each day and go to work, and don't worry about those co-workers, maybe their jealous of you! So hang in there!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I think before you quit you should at least say something to your manager. You can always try to simply explain what happened. I don't think you need a big long explanation though. You could maybe tell her that you are feeling a litte uncomfortable with what happened on Monday. That talking about your mom brought up some emotions for you and kind of caught you off guard. I would hope that your manager would understand. If the atmosphere does not change maybe you will feel more comfortable quitting but it may be worth a shot to have a talk first. Good luck!
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's terrible! Sometimes, offices are weird, and we don't know all the politics, mores, norms, etc., that we're walking into. I work in social service, so we're all about sharing, but I forget that other work environments aren't necessarily the same.

If you choose to stay on, look at it this way, obviously, these are not people you want as your friends. Go in, work hard, enjoy your work.

If you can afford to find work somewhere else, then do so.

I'm sorry regarding how tough your young life has been, and I wish your office mates could have shown more compassion.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need a more people friendly enviornment. If you don't need the money I'd say beat feet out the door and find somewhere fun to work! I've worked in offices like that and it never got better, just too clicky.
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    that is what I am worried about, When I say they are underpaying me I mean it.

What surprised me is that other people in the office come to my manager and she wants to know what happened on their dates, and at the doctor's office.
    I think she just doesn't like me.

I am seriously thinking about just quitting b/c it isn't the atmosphere I am looking for.
    knowing this does anyone think it will ever get better?
  • allybub
    allybub Posts: 15
    Options
    May be your boss was embaresed by her own inadequicies at not knowing what to say to you or handle what you said to her. People can be very weird at times. I would say just carry on as normal for a week or so and see what happens,
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    You know that is very good advice, I was thinking maybe she is just feeling cramped and moody b/c she has me in her personal office space, but I am not sure how to point it out to her. any advice