To eat breakfast or not to eat breakfast?

Options
If I eat in the morning I'm ravenously hungry until I eat lunch and I tend to eat more. Generally I don't eat anything in the morning at all because of this. Does eating a little something help jumpstart your metabolism? Would it be a better idea to eat something small and ignore the ravenous hunger?

Thanks...

Replies

• jmetevia
    Options
    If I eat in the morning I'm ravenously hungry until I eat lunch and I tend to eat more. Generally I don't eat anything in the morning at all because of this. Does eating a little something help jumpstart your metabolism? Would it be a better idea to eat something small and ignore the ravenous hunger?

Thanks...
  • opatt23
    Options
    hey there,

it's always been my idea that Breakfast does jump start your metabolism in the morning. So even if you eat just a small something to kick start the day and then dont ignore the hunger later but go for some fruit or something like that...that way you wont over eat at lunch...

Hope this helps! :smile:

Good luck
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    I always eat breakfast. :tongue: It helps you get going in the morning. Remember you have not had anything to eat in 8 to 10 hours(ok for me more like 6 or 7:blushing: ). Then around 9 i'll have a snack. A yogurt or banana. Fills me up until lunch.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast, I was overweight then,
    now that I eat breakfast I find that I get hungrier and I am losing weight,
    its not just the gym membership because before I went to the gym at college.
    I find eating breakfast even if its just a piece of fruit really gets me going and forces my body to wake up and start burning calories.
  • dragonfly828
    Options
    HI,
    You know I feel the same way! I never ate breakfast before until I started watching the biggest loser! lol Jillian says it does jump start your metabolism and the best thing to eat is fuit because it revs it up faster. I also have that 6 week body makeover you see on tv. and if you eat a small amount every 2 hours it keeps the metabolism burning all day long and you do lose weight faster..
    maybe that will help? It helped me...good luck
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yep, the reason you may be feeling hungry before lunch is that your body is actually working and burning fuel. Whereas if you don't eat breakfast it is staying in it's "shutdown" mode and conserving fuel.

You should eat breakfast, eat a morning snack 2 - 3 hours after breakfast and then have your lunch. Becasue of my schedule and how I like to eat, I've eaten 3 times by the time I eat lunch. Lunch is actually my 4th "meal" of the day since I don't eat it until around 1:00.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't know a nutritionalist or doctor out there that would tell you skipping breakfast is ok. Bodies, if they do not have something in their bellies early will go into a starvation mode. This is counterintuitive to weight loss.

If you become revenous try someting with a high fiber content. This makes it harder (and therefore takes longer) to digest .... leaving you fuller for longer.
    I eat about a tablespoon of trail mix (I make it with nuts and dried blueberries) before I leave the house for work (6 am), then, after I have finished my coffee at work and am coming around to being hugry again (9ish), I have something like fourth a cup off all bran mixed in half a cup of 1%cottage cheese and half a cup of mixed berries ( 144 calories).. this will take me to lunchtime

Best of luck!
  • kimmykid
    Options
    I have the same problem. The thing is you have to be careful what you eat for breakfast, definitely no complex carbs. Try a protein shake, an omelette or my personal favorite - oatmeal (not the instant kind with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc.). Natural Quaker Oats takes one minute to cook in the microwave, I add blueberries, raisins or almonds for flavor - delicious and I'm full for hours because of all the fiber. If you're going to eat carbs, be sure to have include protein and/or high fiber.

Good luck.
  • markfloyd
    Options
    ALWAYS eat breakfast!! Before you eat your breakfast drink about 8-10 ounces of water. This will jump start your metabolism. Eat a good breakfast. Have a couple of eggs with a piece of Whole Wheat toast and a bowl of Oatmeal. Plan to eat another small meal couple of hours later. Something like, more Oatmeal and a Banana. Try to plan 6-8 small meals throughout the day. The trick is to eat more often without overeating.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Skipping breakfast may set you up for eating too much at one sitting later in the day. It's really best, according to the conventional wisdom, to eat lots of small meals (5-6) throughout the day to avoid that blood sugar crash that may cause you to overeat in response. It works for me, but I work at home so it's pretty easy. I just make sure to include a little protein in every meal so I can make it from one to the next without getting too hungry.

I've also been drinking a big glass of cold water first thing after waking up in the morning. It's not only supposed to jump start your metabolism, as you mentioned, but it tends to wake me up as well. Since most of us get a little dehydrated while we sleep, it makes sense.
  • jmetevia
    jmetevia Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll have to start eating some breakfast. I like the teaspon of granola idea. Quick, easy, and not too many calories. Thanks for all the advice!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Um, you mean that "I can eat an elephant right now!" feeling at about 10am?

Can you tell I know what you are talking about! Try waiting a little later to eat your breakfast and then gradually bump it earlier. Our breakfast-deprived bodies aren't used to this and need to adjust accordingly. At least this worked for me. Now I eat a granola bar on my way to work after taking my son to daycare in the mornings. My goal is to actually eat breakfast with my son someday! My husband still isn't a breakfast eater, so no help there.
  • graypink0130
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but now I always have a breakfast like yogurt and bear naked (granola) mixed with flax seed and a glass of green goodness organic juice or I will have eggs with veggies and a glass of Plain soymilk and that seems to fill me up. If I do get hungry before lunch I eat an orange or some carrots, which ties me over till I am ready to eat again. But all natural foods in the morning I think are key to jump starting your day!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    EAT!!! I used to skip it too but now it is my morning gasoline!!! Make sure you get a little protein too. I usually eat the weight control oatmeal and a few slices of turkey or an ounce of cheese and a glass of skim milk. If I skip, I am a BEAR!!:mad: :explode:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have started eating a small breakfast in the morns like oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat or eggs.... Sometime a tbs of peanut butter on Natures Own low carb bread or on a low carb toasted pita wrap. Sometimes I will add sugar free fruit preserves on it...

Then if I get the munchies I take a bananna or a yogurt to work with me

I down the water or crystal light in between cravings....
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY EAT BREAKFAST!

If what you are eating now isn't keeping you satiated for long then try some fibre rich cereal or oatmeal and a lil protein. Fibre tends to break down more slowly during digestion and protein handles the craving for food. As TJ said early on...you have to remember you have not eaten while you slept. This could put your body into starvation mode and you can actually gain weight. Any energy stores drawn on will be muscle while your body stores the fat. It becomes a vicious cycle...all because you didn't eat Breakfast!

The McCann's Steelcut Irish Oatmeal I eat offers 4 grams of dietary fibre, 2 grams of insoluble fibre & 4 grams of protein.

I usually toss in a handful of currants when i make it. I eat 1/4 cup prepared with 2 tablespoons of Motts Unsweetened Applesauce and a tsp. of Sugar Twin Brown Sugar. It's a really good breakfast that definitely lasts the morning (7 am - 12).

A funny thing about this product...I can eat it and I enjoy it. The instant oatmeal pkgs. tastes like "glue" to me and I can't eat them.

Here is their website: http://www.mccanns.ie/products.html
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Please eat breakfast and no said you can't eat in between breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast (9am)
    1/4 cup of Quaker Wheat Bran with 1 package of Quaker Oatmeal
    Source Dessert Selection Lemon Meringue Yogurt

Snack (11am)
    1 Granny Smith Apple

Lunch (1pm)
    Whatever it is t hat I have chosen.

You see, there is NO need to be ravenous. Just spread out your items in 2-3 hour durations and you will feel like you are eating all the time but without adding extra calories.