Quick Question... Help me!

Options
Ok... just curious on the calorie thing... are we suppose to have a zero net calorie or how does this work. I was thinking that as long as I stayed under the calories I have set for myself I would be good. I am second guessing my understanding now. Can someone please explain how this works exactly?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when you put your info into mfp it calculates how much you need to eat to meet your weight loss goals. you should eat all these calories.
    when you exercise, youre doing more than your baseline so you need more fuel from food - try to eat at least some of your "exercise calories" back - i try to eat until my net is 1200, at the very least.
  • mrsaasness
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's how it works... how are you doing since starting in Aug? I've lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks but have been sittin at the same weight for ab a week now.. this better not be my PLATEAU haha
  • I'm still a newbie, but from what I've seen, it's like the Price Is Right....come close to your calories for the day without going over! :happy:

As for eating exercise calories, it looks like that is a personal preference....I've seen people who eat all, some, or none. I tend to try to eat none, but then have them for a cushion in case of a funky day.

Good luck!!!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    get as close as you can to your daily calories, dont go under 1200. and eat you excercise back if you want, some people do some dont.
  • BabyBubbles31
    Options
    See no... lol I start yesterday... I joined in August and lost fuel completely and was so stressed out after some personal issues I didn't get motivated until yet another fight with my family... I am going strong for two days now. and look forward to continuing. Looking for support to keep motivated. Add me if you want. I want to meet my goal by May 2012 when I graduate from college. Thanks for responding. :)
  • BabyBubbles31
    Options
    Ok so main goal is to make the net calorie intake 1200 but not less. Got it. I was just worried that it was going to be making it zero out with working out and eating. If that makes sense. lol.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is a tough thing to respond to because there are people that say to eat them all back and then there are those that tell you not to eat them back. I would recommend trying each as a test drive and see how your body and metabolism responds to each. You will have to give each a full try of say at least a week or two. I personally know for a fact that if I eat back my exercise calories I would not drop any weight as I have seen on many occasions. If I eat back my calories I put the weight back on so I try to be within 100 - 150 calories of my goal but I am also 53 so I would guess I don't burn calories like a younger person would. I know this just made the whole thing clear as mud... but I believe it depends on your body and what king of food you are using to fill the daily calorie intake.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definately eat the 1200 ... and as for the exercise calories .. I t always eat something (protein rich) after working out ...

The main thing is to be healthy, not starving yourself ... the exercise calories, in theory, should be eaten... However, I find that it is easy to under estimate how much I actually eat, and over estimate how much I am burning ...so leaving some un-eaten calories as a "cushion" tends to work FOR ME towards a steady weight loss. You will have to pay attention to find what works for You.

If you find that you are losing more than 2 lbs in a week, you are under eating ... With that in mind, start out by following the MFP recommendations .. be honest with yourself and see how it goes. Adjust accordingly. I find that leaving about 200 uneaten workout calories, works for me ... and I always get within 100 calories of the daily 1200. I'm going through Human Morphology and it is amazing what your body accomplishes without your moving ... it does take energy and minerals, there is a reason there is a 1200 calorie minimum per day. If you do not have them, your body will take them, from bone and muscle, if need be ... so pay attention to getting the good stuff into your body so it is the fat that is burned.

The weight has come off steady, with a few plateaus (usually when i am not working out, even if I eat within the calorie goal) ... Also, I lose more weight if I eat nutritionally dense foods ... I lose less weight, even when I stay under in calories, if I eat "empty" calories (i.e. fast food and/or junk food) ... What the calories are made of, is as important as how many, when trying to lose in a healthy way. Take advantage of those "totals" for protein, carbs, fat, salt, potassium (or whatever you feel needs attention) and use them to help make good choices.

Boy, I am rambling today ... must be because I am putting off studyig for a test... :D
  • BabyBubbles31
    Options
    That is ok.... lol. I love rambling... quit a talker myself. I think that is great advice. I will just watch what I do over the next week or so. I don't want to lose a lot of weight fast and then gain it back. I want to do it the healthy way and slower and steady is better so I have heard.
  • RhondaKay21
    Options
    I see that my friend Csmith has filled you in. She's a smart lady. We have been working together. Eat your 1200. I don't eat over that often. If I get my excercize in. I don't eat them. I have a day a week that I allow myself to eat more and junk it up a bit. This is a life change. You have to allow yourself to enjoy what you are eating. Just do things that will cut some calories. Like the bread you eat. Csmith found a bread that is 50 Calories and slice. I'm buying that now. That save 100 calories on a sandwhich. Then mayo with olive oil. Cuts the cals. even more. Still tastes great to me.

Good Luck. Enjoy