Cardio exercise at home

Options
I am wondering what kind of cardio exercise I can do at home. My kids are home a lot and I don't always have someone to watch them and my husband works away for 3 weeks at a time. My kids are 5 and 8. It is really holding me back from exercising!

Replies

• snikib
    snikib Posts: 10
    Options
    I am wondering what kind of cardio exercise I can do at home. My kids are home a lot and I don't always have someone to watch them and my husband works away for 3 weeks at a time. My kids are 5 and 8. It is really holding me back from exercising!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Turbo Jam! My kids are 3, 2, & almost 1 & my 3yo & 2yo run around like crazy people "exercising" with me. The baby just stares or I do it during her nap. :laugh:

There's always walking, dancing in your living room, going up & down stairs, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, jump rope, crunches, pushups, leg lifts.

I know some people get workout dvds from Netflix & the library, too!

HTH! :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Try some kenpo or other kick-boxing style workout DVDs. Your kids can join you! I've started P90X and my 6 yo daughter likes to do the workouts with me! rotflmao- 6 yo doing plyometrics!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • tkain
    tkain Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Firm Fitness DVDs/Tapes. The Firm tapes combine cardio with strength training, which is perfect if you're looking for a full body workout! I love them!! I exercise right in my living room and my 4 year old does it too!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Take the kids for a bike ride while you run.
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Kids seem to Love Dancing to the Oldies. Richard Simmons DVD's are fairly inexpensive and easy enough that the whole family can enjoy them! When I was using his videos I lost 8 pounds in less than two weeks. Reminds me that I should get a couple on DVD!
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Also if you can afford to do it, I really recommend the Wii. Wii Fit and Outdoor Adventure are a lot of fun and a decent work out. Plus the kids would love it.
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    I've seen Turbo Jam and P90X mentioned; those are some of Beachbody's more popular workout series. Hip Hop Abs is another. You can go to my website below and see all those.

Having kiddos myself, I think timing is everything. That's part of the reason why I do my workouts at 5am everyday. No one is stirring, the house is quiet, and I can do my thing without interruption. That's especially important to me now that I'm going through P90X, a very intense workout program that requires applied effort and concentration. The other reason is that way, I've got it knocked out first thing in my day, so I don't have time to try to concoct excuses as to why I'm putting off a workout, which can be really easy to do, ESPECIALLY with kids to look after.

Best of luck to you!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I've seen Turbo Jam and P90X mentioned; those are some of Beachbody's more popular workout series. Hip Hop Abs is another. You can go to my website below and see all those.

Having kiddos myself, I think timing is everything. That's part of the reason why I do my workouts at 5am everyday. No one is stirring, the house is quiet, and I can do my thing without interruption. That's especially important to me now that I'm going through P90X, a very intense workout program that requires applied effort and concentration. The other reason is that way, I've got it knocked out first thing in my day, so I don't have time to try to concoct excuses as to why I'm putting off a workout, which can be really easy to do, ESPECIALLY with kids to look after.

Best of luck to you!

And my oldest gets up at 5am so I'm a bit out of luck in that aspect of things. :laugh:
  • snikib
    Options
    You guys are great. Thank you for the fountain of information. I do have the wii fit. I just find it takes a long time/process to get a full workout in and I haven't sweat yet. I did just get it though. I would like the Outdoor Challenge, but also definitely some workout DVDs for change. I get bored with the same stuff.
  • daisye
    daisye Posts: 22
    Options
    If you can purchase some video's or rent some from the library. Turbo Jam, Tae Boa, or biggest loser. Now if you can't do that put on some music and dance around your house for 30 minutes and have your kids do it with you. And make sure you time yourself.
  • snikib
    Options
    I definitely like to dance..good place to start!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    I definitely like to dance..good place to start!
    Then you're really gonna like Turbo Jam or Hip Hop Abs... Right up your alley
  • trenauldo
    Options
    And my oldest gets up at 5am so I'm a bit out of luck in that aspect of things. :laugh:
    Oh man... Voluntarily gets up at that early hour..?? Maybe your oldest needs some Turbo Jam to wear that kid out...:bigsmile:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Oh man... Voluntarily gets up at that early hour..?? Maybe your oldest needs some Turbo Jam to wear that kid out...:bigsmile:

He does do TJ with me. You should see his speed bag. :laugh: NOTHING wears this kid out. He's been that way ever since he was born. I'm just happy he doesn't get up at 4am any more! Seriously. 5 is sleeping in!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    He does do TJ with me. You should see his speed bag. :laugh: NOTHING wears this kid out. He's been that way ever since he was born. I'm just happy he doesn't get up at 4am any more! Seriously. 5 is sleeping in!
    Wow, that is one early-risin' kid for sure. My girls require at least a good 8-hours of sleep a night, and they get it. They've been that way since they were babies; it's a beautiful thing... lol.