My boss and I share a small office, help!

Options
Hello,

I share a small office with my boss, this is my second week in this company, and she is used to having the office to her self. She is acting like a real $%#*$ and I really want to get some privacy. how do convince her to place me some where else?

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    that's rough, what do you do?
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    my title is project coordinator, but for now they have me pulling reports, data entry and creating spreadsheets. Just getting caught up on stuff that they haven't done for the past two years plus.
  • Venessa165
    Venessa165 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can ask, if there is space available. If not, ask for partitions so that you can both have privacy or you can develop an annoyingly disgusting habit that will gross your boss out.
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    there is about 2 feet between us and no room for a partition, and I know I am annoying the hell out of her just by being there, but she is not smart enough to know that. I think I need to say something, but I don't know what to say.
    I did ask her if this place is going to be permanent a few times, she just answered I don't know its where I am going to sit for now though. So I need something else to say.
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    Well if it were me I'd go with one of 2 options

1) Wait it out, you said it was a relatively new job and maybe it's going to take a while to establish a new routine

2) Try scoping out another area that you think would be more suitable for you then casually mention it to your boss and ask if the space is available if they ask why just be honest (well as honest as you can be with your boss lol) and tell them that YOU FEEL like you've invaded thier(boss') space/ are stepping on thier toes in the place you are now and it would probably more productive for both of you to have room to breathe. It's polite, you're showing that you have the company's intrest in mind and you're not putting the blame on your boss but letting them know what your comfort zone is like in order to be the best employee you can be

Hope this helps, let us know how everything turns out!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can ask, if there is space available. If not, ask for partitions so that you can both have privacy or you can develop an annoyingly disgusting habit that will gross your boss out.

I vote for the annoying habits, here are some of my favorites: clipping finger nails . . . and then toe nails, slurp liquids (soup, soda, coffee, etc), clear throat every 5 minutes as if it were a tick, tap toe, bounce leg (I assure you it will bounce her as well), crack knuckles, take off shoes at around 230 (that should be when your feet get nice and stinky), eat fish or liver or onions at your desk, get on the phone with you SO and tell them how much you love your job but find your coworkers uninspiring, chew gum and pop and crack it, yawn . . . a lot then smack your lips, buy a bag of jolly ranchers and clinck them on the back o your teeth as you move the candies from one side of your mouth to the other, if you give me some time I'm sure I could come up with one or two more.
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    I like the nail clipping and I will also bring a file.
    I am concerned b/c I am temp to perm in the company and this is only my second week, could they remove me from the job for having annoying habits?
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    EEK! That's got to be terrible.... It is tough when you have issues with the people in your environment. If I were you, I would really try to plait off as if you aren't annoyed, but feel like you are hurting their space. If you make it sound like you are wanting to move for them, not you, it might go better.

Well, I do hope it works out soon!!!!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I would just wait till mid next week then tell her that you feel like you are in her way, if she is acting like a B now then you probably are. In the mean time do annoying things and don't leave your desk at all even for lunch, so she will really feel it. But nothing too disgusting you want to make sure she can keep working with you.

hope things get better soon.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    I like the nail clipping and I will also bring a file.
    I am concerned b/c I am temp to perm in the company and this is only my second week, could they remove me from the job for having annoying habits?

Absolutely they could. You're a temp. They could remove you because the sky is blue. I don't suggest you develop any "annoying habits." Not if you value your job...
  • toomuchinfo2
    Options
    so any advice what I should do since I can't adopt any bad habits and knowing I am a temp to perm?
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I would do the opposite. If you want a permanent job, annoying the boss will most likely get you let go. I would try really hard to be quiet and work my butt off. I have had to share offices before - with more than one person at the same time. Sometimes we have to do that because it is all there is.

Try to be pleasant and blend into the surroundings. It is amazing what a little kindness and compassion will do. Be honest and tell her you feel like you are invading and ask if there is a open conference room you could work out of until they find you a permanent spot. Otherwise perhaps being there will cause her to scope you out a spot. Nobody wants to share their office for very long!