Replies

• JJAVON116
    JJAVON116 Posts: 41
    Options
    ...To exercise after eating? I don't want to cramp up...:blushing:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    at least an hour but best is 2 hours from what i know. some foods are digested faster, other foods slower, so probably makes a difference as well. i have heard in some workout videos they say you shouldn't eat a certain number of hours not only before but also AFTER...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    at least an hour but best is 2 hours from what i know. some foods are digested faster, other foods slower, so probably makes a difference as well. i have heard in some workout videos they say you shouldn't eat a certain number of hours not only before but also AFTER...

there is really no need to wait for any extended time...it takes 12 hours to digest food....

you can eat before and should eat protein and carbs within 30 mintues after weights
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Personally. I can eat carbs then exercise right after I eat. With protein I have to wait at least an hour with fish and 2-3 with chicken/beef/ pork. I have to wait 15 minutes after drinking or I will hear it sloshing.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Personally. I can eat carbs then exercise right after I eat. With protein I have to wait at least an hour with fish and 2-3 with chicken/beef/ pork. I have to wait 15 minutes after drinking or I will hear it sloshing.

Don't you hate that feeling of water just bouncing around?

I also like to eat some carbs within about 30 minutes... but it's a small meal or snack. If you ate a whole meal, you'll be more comfortable if you wait 45 - 90 minutes. But if you wait too long, then you might get hungry mid-workout!
  • purrrr
    Options
    there is really no need to wait for any extended time...it takes 12 hours to digest food....

you can eat before and should eat protein and carbs within 30 mintues after weights

no, there sure is a need to wait, it depends on the workout i guess. i trained karate some years ago and the trainer always told us we shouldn't eat at least 1 hour before the training. i've also seen it on videos, e.g. calanetics, they said 2 hours before and 3 hours after. both these are very intensive workouts with a lot of body movement and food can cause serious problems. i realize that you being a man don't do calanetics so this doesn't apply in your case :smile: strength training and monotoneous excercise like riding a bike shouldn't be a problem since your body sits in pretty much the same position but imagine you have to run, jump, roll, squat, shake, etc. all in succession, i'm telling you i once ate this orange before my karate lesson and it takes like 30 mins till i get there and once we started i could feel the orange coming back into my mouth... (and fruit is the fastest possible food stuff to pass through the stomach)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

no, there sure is a need to wait, it depends on the workout i guess. i trained karate some years ago and the trainer always told us we shouldn't eat at least 1 hour before the training. i've also seen it on videos, e.g. calanetics, they said 2 hours before and 3 hours after. both these are very intensive workouts with a lot of body movement and food can cause serious problems. i realize that you being a man don't do calanetics so this doesn't apply in your case :smile: strength training and monotoneous excercise like riding a bike shouldn't be a problem since your body sits in pretty much the same position but imagine you have to run, jump, roll, squat, shake, etc. all in succession, i'm telling you i once ate this orange before my karate lesson and it takes like 30 mins till i get there and once we started i could feel the orange coming back into my mouth... (and fruit is the fastest possible food stuff to pass through the stomach)

that is incredibly sexist and insulting
  • purrrr
    Options
    that is incredibly sexist and insulting

aww, Dave, I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings... so, how do you survive your calanetics workout with eating half an hour prior to it? i have this notion it's rather a girly thing, there would be 4 girls and only 1 guy in the videos, ya know... now i know it's you that guy :smile: