Not eating after 7pm, good idea? bad idea?

Options
Hey I've heard plenty of people say that it is bad to eat at night, or that you should wait at least 3 hours (the number changes, but 3 seems to be the most popular) between eating and bed time. I know that everyone is different and you should do what works best for you, but has anyone put this into practice and seen results? I'm thinking about only allowing myself water after 7pm, even if I'm hungry. I don't see it doing harm but this site has already opened my eyes to a lot of wieght loss myths so perhaps someone can enlighten me here.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have seen 4 threads on this in less than 2 hours

It is a complete myth. Your body does not shut off after 7 pm.
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I believe if your body is asking for food by way of hunger, you should eat something, even something small. I personally don't subscribe to the no eating after x time (although I try not to eat after 10pm) because I wake up ready to eat my own arm off, with a killer bad mood and often a head ache which isn't good for anyone
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If I go to bed hungry, I won't sleep. If I don't sleep, I crave more. If I crave more, well, you get the idea? For me, if it is 30 minutes before bedtime and I am hungry, I will eat something. I won't eat a full meal because that makes me uncomfortable.
  • nattytude
    Options
    Depends what time you're getting up? If you're waking up late, your body will be in starvation mode and will store your breakfast because it won't know when it's next getting food. All I know is - it is better to eat regularly and get into a routine. I eat later than 7, but that is because of the hours I work, and gym routine. Try it and let us know how you get on.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, they only way eating late is "bad" is if it means you are over eating for the day, but if it's part of your "allowed" calories it doesn't matter, unless it gives you an upset tummy. I don't see how it would hurt not to have an evening snack though. I'm almost always hungry before bed, so I almost always have a snack around 9.
    good luck :)
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i don't think it matters either, but it helps me to not eat after 7 because my weigh-ins are in the morning so i feel like I'm nice and empty by then, and it just helps me control my night time eating
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I have seen 4 threads on this in less than 2 hours

It is a complete myth. Your body does not shut off after 7 pm.

this.
    i eat every night right before bed.
    and I'm not walking around with a lot of fat on me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Depends what time you're getting up? If you're waking up late, your body will be in starvation mode and will store your breakfast because it won't know when it's next getting food. All I know is - it is better to eat regularly and get into a routine. I eat later than 7, but that is because of the hours I work, and gym routine. Try it and let us know how you get on.

nope. it won't.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I'm going to eat. Nothing big of course, maybe some fruit or a few crackers but with a big glass of water.
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    i switched from eating around 8-9pm till before 7 (because i go to bed by 10) and i lost weight simply on that. gives your body more "up" time to digest food.
  • dani2005
    Options
    They usually say its never good to eat within 2 hours of going to bed. Just remember sometimes when your body says its hungry it really just wants something to drink. You have to decide if you are truly hungry or just thirsty. I hope that helped.
  • alliebeck2
    Options
    I don't believe that what time of day you eat has any scientific bearing on weight loss. Biochemically, your body just does not care - calories are calories. That being said, there are some practical reasons why it still might be a good idea to stop eating earlier in the day.

1. When you stop eating earlier in the day, you tend to spend longer in the fasted state before your next meal (i.e. breakfast). This is good for fat burning. Of course, you could always do this the opposite way and eat late in the day and then skip breakfast the next morning, ala leangains. What is important is the amount of time you spend in the fasted state, not what time of day you eat.

2. People may tend to eat more junk food at night, so maybe this is a catch-all for destructive late-night eating behavior.

I eat late in the day, but I also skip breakfast in the morning to maximize my time in the fasted state, and I'm also strict about the quality of the food I eat, so even if I'm eating late at night, it's never junk food.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Umm...what?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Umm...what?

Yeah. What?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea if it works for YOU. If it doesn't, it's not.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Umm...what?

Yeah. What?

I see the what x2 and raise you a "Huh?"
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hah, I eat at 10pm, usually just toast as a supper. If I'm hungry I'll eat as long as I'm staying in my limits, I don't care when it is.
    I don't believe that eating later than 7pm is going to make you keep weight on.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1500 calories a day, it doesn't matter if you eat all of them before 7:00 or 1200 of them before and 300 after. You still ate 1500 calories for the day. Myth. Now someone always comes along and says if they eat late it makes them uncomfortable when they sleep. That is a DIFFERENT issue than whether it affects weight loss.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Umm...what?

Yeah. What?

derp-news
  • alliebeck2
    Options

Umm...what?

Yeah. What?

I see the what x2 and raise you a "Huh?"

Seriously, your body does not go into "starvation mode" after a few hours of not eating. Actually, there is a slight increase in metabolism for the first day or so of a fast.