Losing weight is harder in the south! Can anyone relate?

Options

Replies

• vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    You need to remember that you don't have to eat salads all day to lose weight. Portion control is the biggest part of this. Enjoy the foods you like, just eat a lot less of it.

I'm from Tennessee, and my family is from Kentucky and Virginia, so I understand having food cooked in lard, ham hocks, and fried chicken around all the time. My family still cooks that way every time I go home. Just eat half what your normally would.

But doesn't eating things fried in lard make you feel sick after following a healthy diet? I'm always stuck between feeling sick or hurting people's feelings.
  • vzucco
    Options
    It isn't just the South.

What is the South is the idea that macaroni and cheese is a "veggie."

Ha! Absolutely what I'm talking about.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Mississippi here. I managed to do it. Just takes willpower and determination. Ignore all the temptations.

True, it is possible to lose the weight... however, I get really frustrated at how many people are not open to trying a new, heathier variation of something they are used to (healthier cornbread, BAKED fried chicken, etc)... I can make some pretty tasty foods that are healthy-ish, at least compared to the originals... but people don't want to try anything (unless I don't tell them it's a healthier version, haha)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree, the Southern cuisine and cultural customs involving food make losing weight harder. Fried, battered, & deep fried. :laugh:

That being said, I lost all of my weight while living in Savannah, GA, 110lbs. That meant saying "NO" a lot! :wink: I prepared homemade low calorie meals, brought healthy options to social gatherings, and made myself separate meals from the family. When at work, people offered me cake, cookies, etc., and I would politely say "No, but thank you". Or "Maybe later", or "Oh, I just had a little snack, next time". It's not fun or easy, but gives results!

On the go, finding healthy alternatives is a challenge but not impossible. Just stay away from drive-thrus, there is nothing there for you, unless you want to eat a salad with out the dressing, so you're better off buying a head of lettuce & keeping that $5. I would, instead, (during lunch break/on-the-go) visit the grocery store, go to the deli, and ask for 4oz. (.25lb.) sliced fat free turkey/ham. Then hit up the fresh foods area, and get some raw single serve veggies, like baby carrots, celery, etc. Grab a single serve 0% FAGE greek yogurt, and fresh blueberries, maybe even some dry roasted edamame. A protein filled, satisfying lunch. Other quick-easy meals are the obvious, frozen meals, or meal replacement bars. Any of those choices will keep you on track and losing!

Stay with it, it can be done :flowerforyou:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty much the American way!

Even out here in Washington, there are the same temptations, same unhealthy food options, and same office celebration struggles.

I've started cooking for myself almost 100% of the time because unless you're going to a sit-down meal and having the salad with light dressing, they add in extra fat and unnecessary calories. You just need to be prepared for the last minute "oh crap I have no food" moments for when you're running late. They have some awesome frozen meals that are low calorie (smart ones, lean cuisine, green giant, etc.) and getting some good snacks like almonds, fruits, etc. is good for when you're running between classes or events.

The biggest struggle is to be prepared and fight the mental battle of "I'm too tired/busy to cook" and have healthy snacks so you aren't starving between meals. Another awesome tip is to take a weekend day and batch cook for the week. I do this with salads and put them in tupperware so I just grab and go and it makes my life easier when I'm running late.
  • vzucco
    Options
    I live in florida and I definatly love me some soul food (fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and lot of other goodies) I live in a small town and there are nothing but fast food resteraunts here. We only have 1 subway!!!! how sad is that? any way, I think what is hard trying to lose weight here is the heat. Its hard to go outside when it is so hot you could cook an egg!!!

Most people think... hey you should be thin you live near the beach!! I live like 2 hours from the nearest beach! and I havent been swimming in years, which is my favorite sport!!!

I sure am gonna miss the fried foods, they were my weakness!!!!

Yes! In New York I did a LOT of walking in the spring and summer. In Alabama, you'd have to pry me from my central air with a crow bar!!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and it will get easier, especially once your new lifestyle becomes old habit. As another poster mentioned, try to eat at home as often as possible. Seek out the least offensive options when you have to dine out.

In time a funny thing will start to happen. You may find yourself surrounded by others who are health concious like you. We tend to attract and surround ourselves with like-minded individuals. As you find more and more people making changes like you, it will get easier. Perhaps even some of your current friends will see your progress and begin to make their own changes.

Best Wishes.
  • valerie_smallen
    Options
    Taco Bell has the "drive though diet" menu??
  • leigh33ca
    leigh33ca Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    On your way home if your stopping for something, why not stop at the grocery store and pick up a premade meal at the deli. They have healthy options there and you can get a side salad to boot or fruit bowl.

With work (and I think we all do it or have the junk food), bring in a veggie tray or fruit tray instead. We do alot of potlucks and you should see some of the vegetarian and vegan dishes that get brought in. Yum!!! You could do a theme to (say when your birthday is).. I would like us to do this......

Now I have heard of southern cooking (honestly not sure if my stomach could handle it, it doesn't like alot of grease and I apologizeif I am misconstruing that) but if getting together with friends try and take those amazing dishes and bring them into the 21st century and healthize them! lol See who could be the most creative at keeping it real but still delicious to the ol' southern way.

At your university is there other options or just Starbucks? I can't say much as I am a Timmie's girl (Tim Hortons), though not for their coffee as I don't drink it or any coffee.

And I have done what jgic2009 has mentioned. I have checked the fast food websites for their nutritional info and based my meal on that and what calories I still had left.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any southern people out there struggling with the same issues as me. I live in Alabama and I while I love living down here, it does make it so much harder to lead a healthy lifestyle. For instance, let's say I've run out of groceries, got out of class late, and need to pick up some dinner on my way home. What will I find? McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC, Zaxby's, etc. There are no healthy options!! Unless I want a wilted salad that's covered in fried chicken and ranch dressing...

My friends down here all like to get together and cook delicious, unhealthy food because that's the southern way! At work, it's someone's birthday and we celebrate with soda, chips, cookies, cupcakes. The Starbucks at my university doesn't have anything to eat except fatty pastries, doughnuts, and cookies. Everywhere I turn, I encounter temptation and bad choices. I have a lot of determination and self-control but short of cooking every meal for myself, what should I eat?

Any suggestions, advice, or general comments would be appreciated! And feel free to add me :)
  • dida_57
    dida_57 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not about where you live, just go to the groceries and prepare your own meal.
  • artist444
    artist444 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can definitely agree I live in MO and its like that everywhere especially w/ my family. There are healthier options out there you just have to do your homework. Like others stated look up the nutritional facts online or on here and be prepared before you get to the restaurant. If you get a sandwich or a wrap at a fast food place just get it w/o the mayo or the sauce that reduces a lot of calories. Or if you do get a salad get the dressing on the side and dip your fork into the dressing, you will be surprised how much less dressing you actually use that way. Many places now offer apples instead of fries too which helps. My go to fast food meal is Wendy's I get a small chili (has veggies and is very filling) about 230 cal. and a plain grilled chicken wrap about 260 I think....and then I add a little bbq sauce on it when I get home. As for the pastries and desserts try to say no ,but if you do give in just eat a smaller portion. If you can't avoid it and give in just try to exercise more that day. Trust me it does get easier with time.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    no it isn't, but there are more obstacles to overcome.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in the south. The food here is yummy, but not so healthy. I have found that in a hurry it's harder. Some of my fast food options are the ultimate grilled chicken sandwich with no sauce at Wendy's, the grilled chicken salad with no cheese and no fried onions from Zaxby's, both are yummy low cal, filling and good sources of protein. At Zaxby's I use light dressing and even do it on the side. In a pinch, I will do an All American Hamburger meal from McDonald's not the best choice, but a better choice that a quarter pounder. McDonald's does not have very good healthy choices at all, they like to load everything with cheese and if it's grilled, they want to add bacon. Grilled chicken sandwich, no sauce and a fruit cup from Chick Fil A is another good one. I don't always make good choices, but I am making better choices. Glad you are enjoying southern living. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • vzucco
    Options
    I travel a fair amount and have noticed that this true not just in the south but any area 40-50 miles outside of a major city. When I'm stuck, I go to McDonalds or Wendy's and get a grilled chicken sandwich. They load it with Mayo so I'll scrape off 90% of it before consuming.

IMO, it seems to all lead back to money. Healthy food isn't cheap and suppliers and distributors aren't going to supply it where its not economically viable regardless if they customers willing to buy or not.

Yes, I agree. That's my problem. I live about 30-45 minutes outside of Alabama's biggest city, Birmingham (where are ARE healthy choices and places to walk). There are a lot of restaurants out here and they are ALL fast food. It seems to be all about economics.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It is tough if you have a southern heritage! My homemade biscuits "will make you slap your mama!" Anyway, now I only make them once in a while instead of every day!

I also make sure when I have time to cook (saturdays and sundays), I make enough to have at least one more meal of it during the week. Also, the crockpot is my best friend, you can throw together the ingredients in the morning and come home to a delicious smelling house and ready to eat! Other busy days we'll do soup and sandwich, either make your own in crockpot or get some of the healthier canned ones, campbells, progresso, etc have some wonderful healthy options for the whole family. Homemade taco or burrito night is also pretty quick and easy, ground turkey or cut up leftover chicken, lettuce, lowfat cheese, salsa, drained and rinsed canned beans, and you have a fun meal for everyone!

I've also found some great new healthy recipes on www.skinnytaste.com
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has the "drive though diet" menu??
    FRESCO is a great alternative. I eat Fresco chicken soft tacos for lunch once a week. Each one is 150 calories.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I just moved here from California a year ago. it's not harder, in fact i am in better shape here than I was in Cali. The problem is honestly the choices and lack of exercise.

Southern states make up a majority of the top overweight states in America. Texas is 13th and Mississippi is #1. If you don't workout AND don't eat right you will be out of shape. I love food but i am definitely not going to eat it because it's in front of me.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean. I live right on the corner of two major streets and i've got a Mcdonalds, a pizza place, a Sonic, three bars, a steak joint and two Chinese food places right next to my apartment! I don't even have to get in the car.
    I stock up on a lot of quick things because I don't cook much now that I'm living alone. I've always got popcorn (the lightest on the butter of course) I like the frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, they have the calorie counts right on the front of the box to make it easy. I love the Kashi trail mix bars for breakfast when i'm in a hurry. and I always keep a loaf of wheat bread and low sodium turkey or chicken breast in the fridge for a quick sandwich. All simple things that take minutes to make and just as simple to keep your calorie counts. Also, as someone stated previously, eggs are always a quick and easy thing too. You can even hard boil a few and save them in the fridge to have some ready.
    When I do run through a drive thru I always get something with grilled chicken breast. Either a salad or a sandwich and with the sandwich I tell them to make it plain or no mayo. Subway is always also a good quick choice.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Trust me, we have the same problems up north. I'm in Chicago... we love to show our love to others through food, and the fast food is just as plentiful! Let me add on Italian beef, Polish sausages, deep dish pizza, Chicago-style hot dogs...... oy!

Mmmmm Lou Malnatis Pizzeria Due!!!! Yum Yum!!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I really cant complain. If I dont have the chance to eat out I'll have panera, subway, salad works or salad bar form a supermarket.
    Here in PA a law that passed about a year and a half ago came to effect. All restaurants must have
    the calories on the menu. I love it...sorry dont mean to brag...Only thing I could think of is planning meals ahead, bringing healthy
    snacks with you and for gatherings eat less. My rule has been if its unhealthy I'll have it once during the week (cake, Ice cream, candy etc....) the rest in moderation. So only one birthday a week will I eat some of the stuff. The other places I just try not to eat if there's no healthy options. I've had a few failings but I was able to maintain my weight....until now that I'm preggo, just trying to gain the healthy way.