Starting Atkins-Any Advice? Menu Ideas? previously did lindo

Options
So last summer I did Lindora, which worked great but EVERY DAY I had to go in and get a shot in my side of B-6 & B-12 which was literally a pain in my a**! The difference I see between Lindora & Atkins is that Lindora seems more restrictive. We weren't allowed cheese (except diet string cheese type cheese), no oils or high fats, I wasn't even allowed to chew gum because they claimed a piece had 3 carbs!!!

Atkins seems more real to me because yes it is still very carb restrictive BUT you are allowed a little more protein options as in different cheese, healthy oils (which i love) and more vegetables.

Im 190 and need to get to around 130, I can live without refined carbs because ive done it before, I think atkins will be easier because I have more leeway in the protein I can consume.

Anyone have any advice on the kickoff part of the diet? Things to definately avoid, and strategy when you pleateu?

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Who is Lindora and why is she so strict? Did you tell her to lighten up and feed you some cheese?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Don't go overboard with your fat intake. Watch out for hidden carbs. Drink LOTS of water.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah. Just follow MFP and YOU decide if you get that gum or not. ;) Many gums are sugar free. Best wishes!
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that I can´t keep on such a strict low carb diet for more than a couple of weeks. I like the SBD approach that starts off with strict phase and then introduces good carbs. Bad Carbs are terrible for me but no carbs is unsustainable for me as well.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah. Just follow MFP and YOU decide if you get that gum or not. ;) Many gums are sugar free. Best wishes!

Uh...NO, you DONT need 55% of your diet to be in Carbs.

Having done Atkins, I have to say it isnt worth the trouble. Find a good balance in your diet of Protein/Carbs/Fat and focus on exercise and calorie intake goals.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah.

Why is this needed, exactly?
  • wg2011
    wg2011 Posts: 4
    Options
    Big fan of Atkins. Eat lean protein and vegtables, but also watch your calories and you will do great. Calories add up quickly in salad dressings, butter, sour cream, cheese, fatty meats, etc. That was my mistake when I started, not paying attention to the calories...
  • its_mad
    Options
    Lindora was insane, You had to go in every day, pee on a keto-stick to see if you were burning fat and show it to a nurse, then they would be able to tell if you cheated or not, weigh you and inject you.

I don't eat mayonaise in the first place or a lot of high high fat foods. I love olive oil and moderate healthy fasts BUT my weakenss was bread, pasta, fries, just to many carbs. I understand carbs are very important but my body I feel reacts badly to bread and starch.

In the induction phase it says its supposed to be for 2 weeks? did anyone do it longer or shorter?
  • Qarol
    Options
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs,
    fail
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Atkins is not great. You lose quickly, but often gain it right back after you week yourself off of it. Some recommendations though:

Eggs - egg salad, hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, omlets, etc.
    Fish - lots of tuna/salmon/fish over salad greens or on the side
    Sausage - chorizo, flavored chicken sausage (spinach and feta is my fav)
    Deli meat - I'd take deli meat rollups for lunch
    cheese - I'd snack on sting cheese ALOT
    Jello - another favorite snack

And yes, you're "allowed" greasy hamburgers w/o buns, but thats not healthy. I like to stick to chicken or beef meals w/lean meat
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I am living the Atkins lifestyle and love it.
    Be prepared for a lot low carb "haters" on here. Lol. :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lindora was insane, You had to go in every day, pee on a keto-stick to see if you were burning fat and show it to a nurse, then they would be able to tell if you cheated or not, weigh you and inject you.

I agree. Totally insane. Keto-sticks are meant to tell diabetics when they are in dire need of medical attention.
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    both me and my boss did the atkins diet for 2 weeks i lost 10 pounds was really ill with it felt so tired no energy light headed i had to take time off work we both stopped doing it as soon as we did the weight just went back on and we was eating healthy i would just be careful. if i was you count your calories and just cut down on the bread and have small portions of pasta and rice etc:smile:
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    Who is Lindora and why is she so strict? Did you tell her to lighten up and feed you some cheese?

That's Mistress Lindora to you!
    Lol.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    Don't go overboard with your fat intake. Watch out for hidden carbs. Drink LOTS of water.

This. ^^^^^^
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I understand carbs are very important but my body I feel reacts badly to bread and starch.

Mine does too. It reacts both physically and emotionally badly when I eat them. But, I heart them. I do notice that I feel better if I keep it between 100-150g. I don't want to go below that because then I will feel deprived of foods I love, but when I go over that I feel like crap. I go over often. Ooops.
  • its_mad
    Options
    What is a good carb intake after the induction? Induction says 20 carbs per day for 2 weeks. Lindora allowed me 50 a day max
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    What is a good carb intake after the induction? Induction says 20 carbs per day for 2 weeks. Lindora allowed me 50 a day max

The book says go up by 5 to find what you're comfortable with. If you don't have the book, you really should get it. It explains a lot.
  • its_mad
    Options
    I understand carbs are very important but my body I feel reacts badly to bread and starch.

Mine does too. It reacts both physically and emotionally badly when I eat them. But, I heart them. I do notice that I feel better if I keep it between 100-150g. I don't want to go below that because then I will feel deprived of foods I love, but when I go over that I feel like crap. I go over often. Ooops.

Yeah, when i did Lindora I felt I had a lot more energy with all the protein i was eating, But its the phase after where you have to remember that eating pasta, and bread, and snacks like that just add up fast. People keep saying it doesnt work cause you gain it back but you onlu gain back if you mess up like I did and go overboard. I had forgotten to keep the control aspect cause I was so focused on what I hadnt been eating that I forgot it was a lifestyle change
  • Qarol
    Options
    The book says go up by 5 to find what you're comfortable with. If you don't have the book, you really should get it. It explains a lot.
    Absolutely. If you haven't done the research, do that first...