turkey burgers?

Options
I just bought a George Foreman grill and really wanted to make a hamburger on it since everyone was eating burgers and fries in my face the other day lol. I was going to buy ground turkey and make turkey burgers wit it, but after seeing a youtube video about it, it didn't look very appetizing lol. So I was wondering how do turkey burgers taste? Do it taste like regular ground beef? And what can I season it with so it can still be healthy for me? Thanks!

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I definetly prefer turkey over beef. So much more yummy.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    They don't taste anything like ground beef, but they're not too bad. The thing I don't like about them is that you have to cook them all the way through until they're fully-cooked/well done. I like the juicy, pink middle of a beef burger. I also find turkey burgers to be kind of 'chewier' and less flavorful than beef burgers, too.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love them! Not as juicy as regular burgers, but really good. If you have some of the laughing cow, light swiss wedges (or other flavor), I'd put some on. Since that's moister, it will make up for the lack of juice. And load it up with lettuce, tomato, pickles, whatever you like. Enjoy dinner!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Butterball and Jennie-o make pre-made turkey burgers. My husband prefers Jennie-o (kind of a sausage flavor) and my daughter prefers the Butterball seasoned burgers. If you really have to have a cheeseburger just get the extra lean beef, measure it out and top it off with 2% cheese. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change so don't feel bad about saving your calories and making something lean and yummy.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I just buy the Jennie O turkey burgers in the box and put them on the Foreman
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it doesnt taste like beef at all :)
    ive never actually made my own, i just but the frozen premade ones at costco..but i have used ground turkey for other things and it doesnt stay together as easy as ground beef, so i would look up a recipe on allrecipes.com or maybe hungry-girl.com
  • miss200
    miss200 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice and tips! Gave me a lot to consider.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I prefer turkey burger over ground beef. Just season it as you would the beef, or get creative with fresh herbs. I love to season my turkey burgers with sweet mesquite seasoning. YUM. It also makes excellent tacos.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    omg YES, I make them, and my family loves them. I add a packet of knorrs vegetable dip mix, pepper, and an egg. Turkey patties are harder to keep together since there's little fat, you have to be gentle. Pat them into some wheat flour (helps keep them together) and pan fry in a bit of olive oil. Seriously, I was skeptical for a long time about the whole ground turkey thing, but now I love to make burgers and meatloaf, and meatballs with it. Shoot even try browning it up for taco meat. My whole family really likes it. Compared to beef, I would say smoother and less beefy : ) I'd seriously just spice and cook it like beef. You have to try it!
  • miss200
    Options
    I love them! Not as juicy as regular burgers, but really good. If you have some of the laughing cow, light swiss wedges (or other flavor), I'd put some on. Since that's moister, it will make up for the lack of juice. And load it up with lettuce, tomato, pickles, whatever you like. Enjoy dinner!

Wow that sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It tastes nothing like beef. Parsley or thyme is great with turkey burgers for seasoning without all the extra sodium in pre-packaged spices if you are making your own. I lived off my homemade ones when I started this process and they were life savers. Hope you like them when you try! :happy:
  • miss200
    Options
    omg YES, I make them, and my family loves them. I add a packet of knorrs vegetable dip mix, pepper, and an egg. Turkey patties are harder to keep together since there's little fat, you have to be gentle. Pat them into some wheat flour (helps keep them together) and pan fry in a bit of olive oil. Seriously, I was skeptical for a long time about the whole ground turkey thing, but now I love to make burgers and meatloaf, and meatballs with it. Shoot even try browning it up for taco meat. My whole family really likes it. Compared to beef, I would say smoother and less beefy : ) I'd seriously just spice and cook it like beef. You have to try it!

I didn't even consider meatloaf! That's a good idea. Also if I was to just pat them and put them on the grill like that would they break up? lol That would be hilarious, thanks for the warning.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind to look for lean ground turkey meat. Regular ground turkey is made with dark and white meat and can have as much cals and fat as beef. Whether I buy beef or turkey I always buy 93% lean. Turkey can be kind of dry since it's so lean. I like to saute onions and diced fresh mushrooms in a little bit of oil and then add to the meat before making patties. It adds both flavor and moisture.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you making your own patties or premade? I have a REALLY GREAT recipe for greek turkey burgers :)
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options

I didn't even consider meatloaf! That's a good idea. Also if I was to just pat them and put them on the grill like that would they break up? lol That would be hilarious, thanks for the warning.

You are warned, I have had that happen. I'm just really careful and use foil so I don't lose the bits if they do break up. Oh yea your GF grill, well at least you won't lose the bits if they do break up. But the egg should help. And you'll figure it out, you just gotta dig in and go for it and experiment.
  • sos2010
    Options
    I only use ground turkey, mainly because my family never noticed the difference when I switched from beef. To add a beefy flavor, you can add a bit of beef buillion for added flavor. I also use the low sodium taco seasonings for Mexican dishes, otherwise the turkey is a bit bland. We had turkey burger sliders for lunch. I add a packet of dry Ranch dressing mix to 1 1/2 lbs of turkey. Pretty good!:happy:
  • tinalee2340
    Options
    I love turkey burgers, but I also like white meat chicken burgers too. I get different flavor salsa's to put on them. Pineapple Salsa, Cherry Salsa, etc.... Sometimes I make my own flavored dressings (using fat free mayo and fat free sour cream) and a variety of spices or wasabi..... Instead of buns I use thin sandwich rounds, use fat free cheese and pile them high with lettuce. YUM!!!!!!
    :smile:
  • qkcam
    qkcam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    in cooking the turkey burger on the george foreman grill and it says on the package 15grams of fat..anyone know what the fat macros would be on the george foreman since so much cooks off? thank you
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers taste like disappointment. Lamb burgers ftw.:happy:
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The great thing about turkey burgers is you can make them taste however you want them to.

If I want plain, I just mix the mince in with onion, garlic, bit of salt and pepper. Bobs your uncle.

But you can add any combo of herbs/spices to add an Italian, Indian, Thai or Chinese twist to them. Turkey is great for absorbing flavours. Also - cheaper than beef or lamb.