Silly workout injuries...

Options
I'm pretty sure many of you have gotten silly workout injuries as we lose the extra weight. Mine happened today while I was at work. I did one minute of jumping jacks with my kids at the YMCA Success Afterschool program. Anyhow, when I do my jacks I tend to slap my hands really hard. When I was done I noticed my left thumb was bruised and numb. I guess I need not slap so hard when I jumping jack. That's my silly injury, what's yours?

Replies

• Melinda91
    Melinda91 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have alot! lol! I was on the stationary bike and i was going way to fast and my foot slipped, i flew forward and the pedals (still going around) kept hitting my calve, needless to say, I had a huge bruise! There have also been some 30DS and trampoline incidents I won't mention lol! And then theres the infamous kettlebell accident, the kettlebell went flying lol
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I was doing some workout dvd and went onto the bare hardwood floor from the carpet. I was wearing socks and both feet slipped right out from under me landing me square on my rear.
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    LOL!! That's a good one! I guess my silliest was when I would go to Zumba class and I couldn't figure out why the top of my left foot would hurt so, so bad right in the middle! I could hardly wait to get home and massage it! It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that my shoe lace was pulled way to tight at the top of the shoe! DUH!!!
  • grammystef26
    grammystef26 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was first doing a body combat class(boxing) learning to do hook punches I kept punching myself in the face:P
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Bellydancing injuries, courtesy of myself, and other dancers in my company:

During a rehearsal for a Turkish folkloric dance with lots of jumping, I felt (and heard!) a sudden pop in my calf. It hurt badly and felt like I had been hit by a baseball. I immediately fell down and could not get up. I literally looked around in disbelief thinking that one of the other dancers must have thrown something at my leg! Turns out I had torn my calf muscle, and many people describe it as an audible pop and the sensation of being hit hard by a ball.

During a performance, one friend accidentally moved too close to another dancer and kicked her. After the performance she realized her toe was really hurting and even worse the next day. She had broken it!

We use lots of props, including heavy swords to balance on our heads, during performances. The swords are not sharp but they do have pointy tips.

sword.jpg

Once of our dancers injured herself during a dance where she would spin and then bring the sword down vertically, parallel to her body, on the outside of her leg. Unfortunately, she got a little off-balance during her spin and ended up stabbing her thigh with the sword. She didn't even realize until other people told her she was bleeding everywhere.

Other minor injuries I know of that happened to other dancers:

slipping on skirt that is slightly too long and resultant pulled muscle.

dropping a tambourine on big toe and breaking toenail.

whacking another dancer with a cane (I have actually whacked hanging light fixtures, the wall, almost whacked an observer who walked dangerously close to me).

Finally, my fave, and very common among Suhaila Salimpour technique dancers: injured booties from overuse of glute muscles!

Bellydancing is very dangerous! ha ha!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    OMG how could I forget my stupid stupid injury from last week?!

I had just finished a very light 20-mile ride and was walking on pavers wearing cycling shoes (on my way to Starbucks, of course), when I slipped and fell hard on my tailbone. It hurt so bad! Of course, this was about noon time in a very crowded, outdoor restaurant area so lots of people witnessed my ridiculousness.

I've been to the chiro a few times and I'm getting better, but I still haven't been able to ride again yet. Hopeful for tomorrow, but may have to wait longer.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear that I'm not the only one that has silly injuries... There has to be others with bumps, bruises or scrapes that they feel silly or ashamed about.