22 lbs down! (with pics)

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
Hi folks,

This morning, I am officially 22 lbs down, and for the first time in 2 years, I am under 190lbs.

I started my journey in December when I stepped on a scale at 210 lbs. I cried and really felt just horrific. This got worse when I went to the gym and got a trainer who did my first body fat percentage test in years: 47%... 47%... what!?! I was a former athlete. How could I have let myself get this bad? What the heck have I done to myself?

I lost nearly 14 lbs the first two months after joining MFP. I was doing great. Then, we found my grandmother was dying, and I completely fell off the wagon. I stopped working, stopped eating well, went back to my old habits. I gained nearly 8 lbs back in just a few months. Things got bad. After she passed in late March, I decided that I really cannot live this way. Life is too short to let yourself live in misery and not be able to do the things you want to do in life. I got back on the wagon in April.

In July I started having some problems with my heart. I found out that it's actually a congenital condition called mitral valve regurgitation. I got on medication to help me with the symptoms, but cardio workouts became more of a struggle. No giving up this time though! Under my cardiologist's supervision and with proper medication, I've kept up with my cario and weight training program and have been shedding poundage ever since. I have days when it's harder to workout, but I try to do at least some exercise as often as I can.

Now, I'm 22 lbs down from my highest weight and my body fat percentage is 28%. I dropped two dress sizes (from 18W to regular size 14/16). I am no longer obese, but still overweight. I feel great, but I've still got a long way to go.

I just wanted to post this for those of you who are dealing with emotional or health problems. Don't let it get you down! Every day is a chance to start over and make your life better.

Old me: 210 (super chubby cheeks blech)

4936119801_6007363bff_m.jpg

New(er) me: 188 lbs (less chubby cheeks)

6244481107_d8db7d65c0_m.jpg

Replies

• Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That's incredible! Great work!
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great Job.... !!!
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    You have made a big change in your life. It is hard to go through a loss, let alone have health issues. Yet, you continued to find the suport that you needed to continue. I am real proud of your efforts. : ) I love it, to see how much better that you feel. Thanks for the encouragement as someday I must push myself harder than others. I think just knowing I must have extra exercise that brings my heart rate up in order to help tighten my skin, so it isn't sagging once I lose.

5'4"
    Started Sept. 5, 2011
    Sept. 12, 2011
    Sept. 19, 2011
    Sept. 26, 2011
    Oct. 3, 2011
    Oct. 10, 2011
    Healthy BMI
    Goal weight, that or 145. I think 125 might be skin & bones. I haven't been 125 since I was 18, but that was a fairly happy time in my life...even 130 might even be better.
  • akdouglass
    Options
    Great job! What fantastic progress! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    You have made a big change in your life. It is hard to go through a loss, let alone have health issues. Yet, you continued to find the suport that you needed to continue. I am real proud of your efforts. : ) I love it, to see how much better that you feel. Thanks for the encouragement as someday I must push myself harder than others. I think just knowing I must have extra exercise that brings my heart rate up in order to help tighten my skin, so it isn't sagging once I lose.

5'4"
    Started Sept. 5, 2011
    Sept. 12, 2011
    Sept. 19, 2011
    Sept. 26, 2011
    Oct. 3, 2011
    Oct. 10, 2011
    Goal weight, that or 145. I think 125 might be skin & bones. I haven't been 125 since I was 18, but that was a fairly happy time in my life...even 130 might even be better.

Thank you so much!

Hang in there! It takes time and a lot of work, but start small and do what works for you. Good luck to you!
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Great job! This is the hardest thing in the world to do but I know you'll make your goal. :smile:
  • Sylvia_100711
    Options
    good job !!!! :) congratulation
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you use any sort of beta blocker or calcium channel blocker? If so, how does that affect your heart rate when you're working out? I used to take a BB but this summer switched to a CCB and both keep my heart rate artificially low so I can't really use the automatic HRMs to tell me when I'm in the fat burning zone.

At cardiac rehab, they taught us RPE (You can learn more about RPE on the Cleveland Clinic site - world leading facility for heart care) http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/rpe.aspx

If you use RPE how are you finding that working as far as your intensity and staying in the fat burning zone?

Sorry for all the questions - I've been looking for other people with genetic heart conditions for weeks and I think you're the first one I've seen! Great job on your success so far BTW!
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats! and thank you for sharing! You are an inspiration to all of us.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Do you use any sort of beta blocker or calcium channel blocker? If so, how does that affect your heart rate when you're working out? I used to take a BB but this summer switched to a CCB and both keep my heart rate artificially low so I can't really use the automatic HRMs to tell me when I'm in the fat burning zone.

At cardiac rehab, they taught us RPE (You can learn more about RPE on the Cleveland Clinic site - world leading facility for heart care) http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/rpe.aspx

If you use RPE how are you finding that working as far as your intensity and staying in the fat burning zone?

Sorry for all the questions - I've been looking for other people with genetic heart conditions for weeks and I think you're the first one I've seen! Great job on your success so far BTW!

No worries about all the questions! As weird as this sounds, I am really happy to find people who are battling cardiac conditions as well (not that I'm glad you or I have it just that it's nice to not feel so alone).

I am on 100mg Toprolol XL (two 50mg extended release tablets per day). My resting HR is very low (60-65 bpm) from the beta blockers. My blood pressure is lower than normal too (average resting BP is 100/60). For workouts, I have to take at least 10 minutes to slowly ease my heart up to 120 or so and visa versa on cooldown, otherwise, it does tend to get a little irregular and really uncomfortable for me. I also drink a LOT of water (32 oz within about an hour) before working out to get my blood pressure up enough.

I prefer the RPE system over the "fat burning" vs "cardio" zone. Most of what I'm doing for cardio lately has been HIIT (high impact interval training). After warmups, I do 30 seconds running as fast and hard as my legs will go pushing as hard as I can (9 on RPE scale). My HR usually shoots up to 170 by the end. For me, this is as high as my cardiologist wants me to go so I try to keep an eye on it. Then, I slow down to a 3.0 mph walk for 90 seconds (3 on RPE scale). Repeat as many times as I possibly can. I can only keep this up 20 minutes max before exhaustion sets in. When I started a couple weeks ago, I could only do 10 minutes. There are some days where my MVR acts up, and I get a really sharp pain after the first 3-4 cycles and I have to immediately do a cooldown and quit. My cardiologist has been keeping track of me during this and is helping coordinate with my trainer so I avoid any discomfort. The benefit of the HIIT for me is that my cardio endurance has dramatically improved. It also burns a ton of calories.

My suggestion would be if you are just getting started to talk to your doctor first. Make sure you get medical clearance to do anything beyond just walking. That being said, you should be able to get into low impact cardio (walking or light elliptical work) without a problem. Just give yourself a while to warm your heart up. Listen to your body and slow down or stop when you feel pain or dizziness. Use the RPE system as a guide and keep yourself at 2-3 max to begin, but make sure you take time to setup a program with your doctor.

The best thing to do is remember that you CAN do this and take time to listen to your doctor. If your doctor won't work with you, find one who will.

Feel free to add me as a friend or ask me anything you want. I'd love to help support you in your journey! :smile: Good luck!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your loss Elizabeth_C34
  • missmaggiemd
    missmaggiemd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your story is a bit heart wrenching :'-( but im very happy your continuing to push through! Your an inspiration! Thank you:-)
  • NanciKay
    NanciKay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!