For those who do NOT believe in starvation mode

Options

Replies

• neil3125
    neil3125 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is no question that a starvation state does exist. This occurs when glycogogen stores are depleted, and there are not enough carbohydrates in the diet to provide for the maintenance of blood glucose. Insulin levels drop, glucagon levels rise, and the body generated blood glucose from protein that is either coming in through the diet (i.e. atkins) or that is being liberated from muscle stores. The energy to drive this creating of blood glucose from protein (gluconeogenesis) is derived from free fatty acids that are either coming in through the diet or being liberated from fat stores. This is a "starvation state," and ketones are produced from free fatty acids. After about 48-72 hours, organs that can metabolize ketones for energy begin to do this in order to save glucose for organs that can only metabolize glucose (like the brain; ketones do not cross the blood brain barrier). At this point, someone who is starving would presumably be burning a bare number of calories in order to keep the person alive, as to maximize the longevity of stored fat and muscle. I do not think this starvation state is what people are talking about when they talk about starvation mode. But I would also argue that a person who is starving, or has a gross caloric deficit will indeed lose weight - fat and muscle. And I do not mean to say that people on atkins are starving themselves.

I think the point that most people are making when they talk about "starvation mode," is that our goal ought to be a small daily caloric deficit. We want enough calories coming in so that we can get those physiologic boosts of insulin, carbohydrates, and protein that allow for maintenance of lean muscle mass while running a small caloric deficit that allows us to liberate and burn free fatty acids during periods of fasting (i.e. during sleep), or during periods of exercise when we deplete our glycogen stores. If we eat almost enough food each day, but not quite enough we can walk this tightrope of maintaining and/or building muscle while still burning fat. As we all know, the more muscle we have, the higher our basal metabolic rate, the more calories we burn at rest, and the easier it ought to be to get in shape.

It is also important thing to remember that exercise stokes the metabolism even if we are running a caloric deficit. There are two mechanisms that drive glucose into muscle - the first is insulin - which you'll get when you eat a carbohydrate load. The other is exercise - when muscle is active, it soaks up blood sugar. So even if you are running a big time caloric deficit, muscles are going to soak up glucose when you exercise - which depletes glycogen stores --> glucagon release --> free fatty acids liberated --> etc, etc.

So I am not so sure about "starvation mode," in the sense that people use it on these boards. I think that someone who is starving will certainly lose weight; but I bet it will come right back after the fast. Sustainable weight loss (changing body composition), I believe, will more likely come from running small caloric deficits over a long period of time accompanied with exercise.

If you read this, you have the patience of a saint.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

But in most cases where someone 'can't lose fat regardless of deficit and activity', the truth is that they are:

a. overestimating activity
    b. understimating true food intake (mis-measuring, not talking about the binges,etc.)
    c. being impatient and having true fat loss masked by water retention

EXACTLY. Love this:flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There is no question that a starvation state does exist. This occurs when glycogogen stores are depleted, and there are not enough carbohydrates in the diet to provide for the maintenance of blood glucose. Insulin levels drop, glucagon levels rise, and the body generated blood glucose from protein that is either coming in through the diet (i.e. atkins) or that is being liberated from muscle stores. The energy to drive this creating of blood glucose from protein (gluconeogenesis) is derived from free fatty acids that are either coming in through the diet or being liberated from fat stores. This is a "starvation state," and ketones are produced from free fatty acids. After about 48-72 hours, organs that can metabolize ketones for energy begin to do this in order to save glucose for organs that can only metabolize glucose (like the brain; ketones do not cross the blood brain barrier). At this point, someone who is starving would presumably be burning a bare number of calories in order to keep the person alive, as to maximize the longevity of stored fat and muscle. I do not think this starvation state is what people are talking about when they talk about starvation mode. But I would also argue that a person who is starving, or has a gross caloric deficit will indeed lose weight - fat and muscle. And I do not mean to say that people on atkins are starving themselves.

I think the point that most people are making when they talk about "starvation mode," is that our goal ought to be a small daily caloric deficit. We want enough calories coming in so that we can get those physiologic boosts of insulin, carbohydrates, and protein that allow for maintenance of lean muscle mass while running a small caloric deficit that allows us to liberate and burn free fatty acids during periods of fasting (i.e. during sleep), or during periods of exercise when we deplete our glycogen stores. If we eat almost enough food each day, but not quite enough we can walk this tightrope of maintaining and/or building muscle while still burning fat. As we all know, the more muscle we have, the higher our basal metabolic rate, the more calories we burn at rest, and the easier it ought to be to get in shape.

It is also important thing to remember that exercise stokes the metabolism even if we are running a caloric deficit. There are two mechanisms that drive glucose into muscle - the first is insulin - which you'll get when you eat a carbohydrate load. The other is exercise - when muscle is active, it soaks up blood sugar. So even if you are running a big time caloric deficit, muscles are going to soak up glucose when you exercise - which depletes glycogen stores --> glucagon release --> free fatty acids liberated --> etc, etc.

So I am not so sure about "starvation mode," in the sense that people use it on these boards. I think that someone who is starving will certainly lose weight; but I bet it will come right back after the fast. Sustainable weight loss (changing body composition), I believe, will more likely come from running small caloric deficits over a long period of time accompanied with exercise.

Thanks for that. So essentially, "starvation mode" in the sense that it's used on the boards the vast majority of the time, only really kicks in after about 48-72 hours of fasting correct? Or did I totally just misrepresent what you said?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If you are eating one meal everyday, you aren't starving yourself therefore NOT in starvation mode. Common sense :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    This is perfect! I love the other excuse "muscle weighs more than fat".. seriously.. yeah, but not the way you want to interpret it! But if it makes you feel better, than that is perfectly ok too!

But in most cases where someone 'can't lose fat regardless of deficit and activity', the truth is that they are:

b. understimating true food intake (mis-measuring, not talking about the binges,etc.)

EXACTLY. Love this:flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What about all the people who increase their calories and then suddenly lose? I've seen it many times...

Also, if you read this, pay attention to the part that says eating too little means you just don't move as much, this is what I think can explain all the people I mentioned above

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I believe it does exist but it doesn't happen has rapid as people think on here. I believe everyone is different and no 1 body is the same. Some days I can eat all 1200 calories or more. Some days I am only at 1000 or 1100 and my body is fine with that. I exercise, I am building mucsle and my weightloss is pretty steadying at 1lb a week. I asked my doctor about this and he told me that starvation mode does exist but...... you have to pretty much "starve" yourself to get there. People who only eat once a day or dont eat for days at a time or very low calories daily will overtime cause their body to go into this mode.

I believe if you find what is right for your body and it is healthy go for it. I tried eating my exercise calories back and I started to gain weight. What works for some do not work for others.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that gluconeogenesis happens as a normal function on a daily basis and doesn't just happen after all glycogen is depeted..........We don't just burn one fuel at a time, the body will use all sources throughout the day, which includes amino acid convertion.

Starvation mode is confusing, and in the real definition, it happens when body fat is extremely low, in the 5% range, then to keep us alive it metabolically protects those essential low fat stores in a last ditch effort for survival. Starvation mode as it's thought by most dieters is when someone is eating what appears to be a deficit, yet don't lose weight and the culprit for these plateau's is the body slowing it's metabolic rate to equal or meet that caloric level...........basically if someones maitenance is say 2000 calories and they consume 1200 calories and after a fairly short time, they stop losing weight, they blame it on starvation mode, this is where Lyle's explaination hold true simply because for the body to reduce it's metabolic rate to equal 1200 calories that would mean we're now experienceing a new maintenance level of 1200 calories which is called our TDEE. Basically for a maintenance level to be 1200 calories our BMR would need to be a lot lower, which isn't reality.

This is more likely the cause of a plateau and the science backs this up as opposed to someone having a TDEE of 1200. If someones maintenance was actually 1200 calories, you would be in the science literature with your picture. I don't think you could find long term coma victims with those levels.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I believe it does exist, but it's different to what a lot of people on hear think. The way I understand it is that starvation mode will try to hoard calories, but never more than you would have lost anyway. For example, If you have a deficit of 3500 calories a week, you'll lose about 1lb. If you have a calorie deficit of 7000 calories, it'll be about 2lb. Therefore, if you have a calorie deficit of 10500 you should lose 3lb a week, right? No, starvation mode starts to kick in and it'll hold onto some of those extra pounds and you might lose somewhere around 2.5lb a week. And then if you have a 14000 calorie deficit you might lose somewhere around 2.75lb. The trend continues, the greater the calorie deficit, the fewer extra calories you'll burn, but it'll never go backwards. You'll never get to a point where having a larger calorie deficit will mean you're losing less weight than if you had a smaller calorie deficit.

Of course, that doesn't mean that monstrous calorie deficits are healthy - it's hard to get proper nutrition with such low food intake, and that can lead to all sorts of health problems, but with the same activity level and fewer calories, you should always lose more weight, even if it's only a tiny amount.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options

This is more likely the cause of a plateau and the science backs this up as opposed to someone having a TDEE of 1200. If someones maintenance was actually 1200 calories, you would be in the science literature with your picture. I don't think you could find long term coma victims with those levels.

I think you need to investigate the life of Jack Lallane

Or the effects of long term caloric restriction being used as a method to age slower, and it is considered one of the most important things you can do by the live longer obsessed crowd. Or the aesthetic budhists in India which practice denial of food as a way of life yet are still able to do daily yoga sessions (Hardly coma patients).

Here is a quote
    He ate two meals a day and avoided snacks. His breakfast, after working out for two hours, consisted of hard-boiled egg whites, a cup of broth, oatmeal with soy milk and seasonal fruit. For dinner he and his wife typically ate raw vegetables and egg whites along with fish. He did not drink coffee.

Here is what he accomplished on that sparse diet
    1954 (age 40): swam the entire length (8,981 ft/1.7 mi) of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, under water, with 140 pounds (64 kg; 10 st) of air tanks and other equipment strapped to his body; a world record.
    1955 (age 41): swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed. When interviewed afterwards he was quoted as saying that the worst thing about the ordeal was being handcuffed, which significantly reduced his chance to do a jumping jack.
    1956 (age 42): set what was claimed as a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes on You Asked For It,[31] a television program hosted by Art Baker.
    1957 (age 43): swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500-pound (1,100 kg; 180 st) cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile (1.6 km) swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km).
    1958 (age 44): maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile (48 km) trip took 9.5 hours.
    1959 (age 45): did 1,000 jumping jacks and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes, to promote The Jack LaLanne Show going nationwide. LaLanne said this was the most difficult of his stunts, but only because the skin on his hands started ripping off during the chin-ups. He felt he couldn't stop because it would be seen as a public failure.
    1974 (age 60): For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat. At least that's according to his website. However, according to an account of this event published the day after it occurred in the Los Angeles Times, written by Philip Hager, a Times staff writer, LaLanne was neither handcuffed nor shackled if each of those terms has the unconventional meaning of "tightly binding the wrists or ankles together with a pair of metal fasteners" although that's not how handcuffs or shackles work. Hager says that LaLanne "had his hands and feet bound with cords that allowed minimal freedom". But "minimal" clearly did not mean "no" freedom, since elsewhere in the article Hager describes LaLanne's method of propulsion through the water as "half-breast-stroke, half-dog paddle" which is how you swim with your hands tied.
    1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat.
    1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.[32]
    1979 (age 65): towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds (2,900 kg; 460 st) of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[33]
    1980 (age 66): towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.
    1984 (age 70): handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.

This guy's net calories were WAY under 1200 a day. Jack was a beast in his day.

Here he is in his prime, preaching about the evils of sugar.

http://youtu.be/LJVEPB_l8FU

God love Jack Lalanne, RIP
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Or the effects of long term caloric restriction being used as a method to age slower, and it is considered one of the most important things you can do by the live longer obsessed crowd. Or the aesthetic budhists in India which practice denial of food as a way of life yet are still able to do daily yoga sessions (Hardly coma patients).

Here is a quote
    He ate two meals a day and avoided snacks. His breakfast, after working out for two hours, consisted of hard-boiled egg whites, a cup of broth, oatmeal with soy milk and seasonal fruit. For dinner he and his wife typically ate raw vegetables and egg whites along with fish. He did not drink coffee.

1954 (age 40): swam the entire length (8,981 ft/1.7 mi) of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, under water, with 140 pounds (64 kg; 10 st) of air tanks and other equipment strapped to his body; a world record.
    1955 (age 41): swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed. When interviewed afterwards he was quoted as saying that the worst thing about the ordeal was being handcuffed, which significantly reduced his chance to do a jumping jack.
    1956 (age 42): set what was claimed as a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes on You Asked For It,[31] a television program hosted by Art Baker.
    1957 (age 43): swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500-pound (1,100 kg; 180 st) cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile (1.6 km) swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km).
    1958 (age 44): maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile (48 km) trip took 9.5 hours.
    1959 (age 45): did 1,000 jumping jacks and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes, to promote The Jack LaLanne Show going nationwide. LaLanne said this was the most difficult of his stunts, but only because the skin on his hands started ripping off during the chin-ups. He felt he couldn't stop because it would be seen as a public failure.
    1974 (age 60): For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat. At least that's according to his website. However, according to an account of this event published the day after it occurred in the Los Angeles Times, written by Philip Hager, a Times staff writer, LaLanne was neither handcuffed nor shackled if each of those terms has the unconventional meaning of "tightly binding the wrists or ankles together with a pair of metal fasteners" although that's not how handcuffs or shackles work. Hager says that LaLanne "had his hands and feet bound with cords that allowed minimal freedom". But "minimal" clearly did not mean "no" freedom, since elsewhere in the article Hager describes LaLanne's method of propulsion through the water as "half-breast-stroke, half-dog paddle" which is how you swim with your hands tied.
    1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat.
    1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.[32]
    1979 (age 65): towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds (2,900 kg; 460 st) of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[33]
    1980 (age 66): towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.
    1984 (age 70): handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.

Jack was the man, much respect.

If he ate under 1200 calories a day and maintained his weight throughout his life, how many calories daily would you access was used for the purpose of his extensive exercise regime? Lets start there and forget about BMR for a second.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All I know is I lost a lot more weight and felt better doing it eating around 1600-1800 a day (and now I average 1800-2000+) than I did years ago when I only ate 800 a day. Was it starvation mode? I don't know and I don't care. But given the choice between feeling great and feeling hungry, I'm always going to choose feeling great.

I do strongly believe that too many people think that depriving yourself and eating very little is a virtue... they believe it shows how strong-willed they are.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

What's this thread about then?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I increased my calories to 1500 and complete 4000 calories a week burn. I think the increase in calories has helped in the weight loss, but I'm also happy to eat a little more. I'm excited about the better choices I make and I'm not deprived feeling.. like I was with 1200 calories.

I think this has to do with attitude, rather than starvation mode. I'm happier at 1500 calories, eat ice cream everyday and don't feel like I'm missing out on something.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I do strongly believe that too many people think that depriving yourself and eating very little is a virtue... they believe it shows how strong-willed they are.

Agreed.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is not a starvation diet.

This occurs when ketone molecules are circulating in the blood in a higher amount than on the previous high-carbohydrate diet. Ketosis is a normal physiological state caused by very normal and healthy body functions contrary to the myths, distortions, and lies published by vegetarians and other high-carbohydrate diet supporters. Ketosis allows the body to function efficiently and live off of stored body fat when necessary. Ketones are not a poison which is how most medical and nutritional experts refer to them.

Ketones make the body run more efficiently and provide a backup fuel source for the brain. The three substances known as ketone bodies are acetoacetic acid, beta-hydroxybutyric acid, and acetone. Some unknowledgeable people have an absolute fit when told that ketosis produces acetones in the blood, since acetone is a common household solvent. Acetone is commonly used as a fingernail polish remover. The body produces ketones as the preferred fuel for the heart, outer part of the kidneys, and most areas of the brain.

• Grokette
    Options
    Thanks for this!!

Here is a quote

• Grokette
    Options
    I believe that starvation mode exists, but it is way taken out of context on these forums.............I roll my eyes when I see people telling other posters that they are probably in starvation mode.

If you have excess fat to burn on your body, starvation mode will not kick in for a long time. Anorexics are a perfect example of starvation mode. They burn all their fat, which then the body turns and starts feeding on the bones and muscles, this is how organ damage and such occurs.

I also don't believe in counting calories. I believe in listening to your body and eating when hungry. That means some days you eat more and some days less.

QUALITY over QUANTITY anyday when it comes to eating.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    posting in here so I can come find this thread later!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    one one side, I thought it existed.
    - i was eating around 1100 cals and exercising, and my weight would not budge. I started eating 1310 cals and exercising, and i lost little by little

on the other side, i am now eating High protein, keeping low sodium, glycemic, sugars. Between 500 and 700 cals and exercising. I am losing fast and feeling great.