My first 5k ever is today!

Options
And I've got the jitters! Any last minute advice? It's in the afternoon, and I'm already nervous about it. Excited, but nervous.

Replies

• techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Yay!!! I had my first one September 10th! The only advice I would have is to try and make sure you don't start out with your pace too fast. It was very exciting, and it would be easy to run too fast.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Oooooh ... losing your 5K "V Card" today. Whoohoo for you! My advice ... enjoy it! Best of luck.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Start with the group that is at your average training pace. Adrenaline will push you faster, but you don't want a competitive nature to push you to keep up with the faster people and burn out before the end. Do a bit of warmup before you start, but don't wear yourself out; make sure you walk afterwards to cool down, the stretch well.

Most of all - have fun!!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    HAVE FUN! Stretch. Make sure you eat something a hour or so before the race, and just run. I run alot faster at a 5K race then i normally train. (I train around 9:50-10:30 per mile and in race situations i run around around 9:15) With the excitement of the race you will be able to go faster but just don't over do it.

I have my third 5K tomorrow morning and my goal is to be in the upper 8 Minute per mile range. :) SO FIRED UP!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck. :smile:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Good luck!
  • jewels68
    Options
    I always start towards the back. Then it makes me feel good as I pass a few people. Today I'm walking a 5K, but I have walked/ran them before I broke my foot.

Good luck. You'll do great. And after your done, you'll feel great too.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No advice from me as I'm just starting out on C25K, but good luck - I can't wait to be where you are! Have fun!
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was nervous my 1st time too. Once you start running, the nerves will melt away. Just enjoy yourself and keep your pace steady. You'll do great! Good luck!!!
  • christybrooker
    Options
    Eat Carbs before hand! You'll need the fuel. Have fun!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have my second 5K today!!!

If you've been training for it no problem. I usually run 2.5 to 5 miles a day! So just thinking of this as a regular run day! But with lots of people and lots of fun!!!

Enjoy it ! The finish line feels amazing!

L
  • daylewinslow
    Options
    enjoy the wind in your hair.......and have friends take pictures when you sail past the finish line!!
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how long it takes, run as you can and walk if you can't. Enjoy the fresh air.

NEXT TIME, beat today's time.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good Luck and have fun. I am training for my first run and I cant wait.....
  • Meggy247
    Meggy247 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's so great! I completed my first 5K this morning. I ran faster than I expected and now I have a number to beat next time!! You'll do awesome.