Anyone else feel this way??

Options
2»

Replies

• brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned this option but have you considered a gym membership. Most of them are pretty reasonable. I only pay 10 bucks a month for mine.

I used to feel working out in the comfort of my home was the way to go but now I realize that was my problem. Home is too comfortable and there are other things to get into besides working out. When I'm at the gym there is only one thing to do. That's of course to work out. I find my 33 cents a day to be bargain when I see that it gives me a tool to focus my workout.
  • JeAnnRandallGraham
    Options
    I have been stressing myself out about the exact same thing. My hubs and I both work full time and my son is a senior in HS. Our schedules don't always mesh so I finally told them that I will cook nice family meals on the weekend and during the week we will all be fending for ourselves.

We started shopping a little differently too. we are buying lean meat and veggies that are easy to portion out into Gladware. I also make larger quantities of healthy food on the weekend so we can portion out the leftovers too.

Small changes can really be liberating. Good luck :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer being single. Good luck.

taxidriver.gif

--

To the OP, do your workouts and ban everyone from the room while you're doing it. Tell them if they bug you, they have to do some chore they hate.
  • Alice230
    Options
    Tell them when you are working out it is your ''personal time'' and you are NOT to be disturbed unless someone is going to die within the next hour!
  • Lazlocats
    Lazlocats Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why isnt your daugher helping out? You work she should be doing a lot in the house, same goes for your husband.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a four year old...i explained to her that mommy needs to exercise to stay healthy. So two nights a week, I take her to the gym with me (they have a child care that I pay for for an hour)so I can go to my class. And the other 2 nights, I wait until I put her to bed...then I exercise using my dvd then followed by cleaning up the kitchen and other chores.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I checked out a few of the gyms around here but they were expensive - and full of thin and athletic people. I don't like anyone seeing me work out - that is part of my problem. Our family room has the only TV and is open to our entire lower level so there isn't even a door to shut. :) I tried to work out in the morning, but I leave for work at 6:30 so I am already up very early and then I don't get home until around 5:00, so I only have a few hours before bed.

Most nights my daughter is usually not home, she has night classes and works part time. She likes to pop in when I get home from work and bombard me with "what's for supper?" I have started responding "whatever you are making!" LOL. Sadly it is my husband that drives me crazy most of the time. I bought him a tv for his office so he can watch tv on the main level and I can go downstairs to the lower level and work out. We'll see how that works.

I still think that if I was here by myself I would probably exercise more. Perhaps I am fooling myself and I wouldn't. I have moved the treadmill closer to the tv so I can be on it while the rest of the family sits around and we all watch tv. We'll see how that works. I just don't want my husband watching me doing any exercise dvds. He wouldn't say anything, but it makes me feel very self-concious.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    Why isnt your daugher helping out? You work she should be doing a lot in the house, same goes for your husband.

They both help but for some reason they need someone to tell them what to do or they don't "see" anything that needs to be done. :huh:

After all the years we have been together I gave up trying to change him and just steer him in the right direction. :wink:
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So I realized this week that if my husband and college-aged daughter were not here I would have time to exercise more and would be able to eat better. I love them both so much, but sharing the family room with them and trying to fit in work-outs sucks. I like to work-out right after work and I have them both constantly asking me "how much longer"! Argh! It is driving me crazy!

Anyone else feel this way? I feel so awful even thinking it. But darn, those single people must have it made!!! Nobody to pick up after, make meals for, spend time with. LOL I AM KIDDING! I don't want to be single but want to figure out a way to get my family to understand that this is important to me and they need to learn to deal with it. I only spend 30-50 minutes doing work-outs and any treadmill time I do is with them while we watch TV.

Help!

I would never have realized it but there were 2 nights that my daughter had class and my husband worked late. I was able to come home and get right into the work out without having to deal with dinner, chores, etc. It was nice to be able to work-out without anyone bugging me. :smile:

Your best option would be to exercise outside the house. That way you avoid having any interruptions in your exercise by anyone in your family. And you can focus only on yourself. If you have gym membership utilize it, if you can run around a park, blocks, etc. You honestly need to get away and have your own space. I'm sure your husband knows how to cook, clean and do some domestic chores. I do everything for myself, cook, clean, the whole nine yards.

If you can't get yourself out of the house during the times you want to do your exercises. Your exercise dynamics will definitely be affected. And progress could virtually be at a stalemate. Just continue assuring your family that your devoted to your health and weight loss, and let them know you will be gone for an hour or so. They can survive without you for at least 1 hour or so.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You might be a wife and a mother, but you're nobody's b!tch. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

Personally, I like to get my workout in right after my husband leaves for work. He goes to work at 7, but I don't have to be in at work until 9. I just get a few minutes of jump rope in after he leaves.

Even then, I still manage to have time for myself. I know it is tougher for parents, but if your daughter is old enough to be left unattended, you really need to go off and do your own thing once in awhile. It's not healthy to be together ALL THE TIME if she's old enough to care for herself.

If you really must be supermom, you can exercise with the whole family. You can do a family bike ride or something.
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest leaving the house if they can't stop themselves from bugging you when you're working out. Get yourself an ipod and walk instead of getting on the treadmill. If you need strength training, get a few free weights and do them when you're watching TV with your husband. Maybe less weird than him sitting there while you're doing a video?

If the nearby gyms are expensive and intimidating, how about a community centre? They usually have gym equipment and classes and are cheaper than private gyms. Usually more filled with regular folks.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I live alone, so I do reap the benefits of being able to do as I please when I please... but I have to ban my pets from the living room if I put a mat on the floor to do yoga or stretching. They end up on the mat right next to me...:wink:
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I certainly do, but not because they don't support my working out. I feel this way because when I get annoyed, I am prone to overeat. Living with three males can be rather annoying. LOTS of toilet work involved.

I usually get away from them to exercise, whether it is running or going to the gym. I don't like attention at the gym either, so I wear a cap down over my eyes and music turned way up.

Take a water gun with you. If they darken your doorstep, spray them. I've seen it work on cats. You won't even have to break your stride! Good luck to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    So I realized this week that if my husband and college-aged daughter were not here I would have time to exercise more and would be able to eat better. I love them both so much, but sharing the family room with them and trying to fit in work-outs sucks. I like to work-out right after work and I have them both constantly asking me "how much longer"! Argh! It is driving me crazy!

Anyone else feel this way? I feel so awful even thinking it. But darn, those single people must have it made!!! Nobody to pick up after, make meals for, spend time with. LOL I AM KIDDING! I don't want to be single but want to figure out a way to get my family to understand that this is important to me and they need to learn to deal with it. I only spend 30-50 minutes doing work-outs and any treadmill time I do is with them while we watch TV.

Help!

I would never have realized it but there were 2 nights that my daughter had class and my husband worked late. I was able to come home and get right into the work out without having to deal with dinner, chores, etc. It was nice to be able to work-out without anyone bugging me. :smile:
    The problem is that if you feel dinner, chores, etc. are all YOUR responsibility, then the expectation from them is that is has to be done. Sorry, but they are abled bodied people and should be able to help out on things like this.
    I deal with so many female clients that tell me they do everything in the home and have no time for themselves. I tell them that if 1 hour a day is too much for their family to give them, then they will always be stuck where they are. Find a solution on how to get hubby and daughter to assist.