favorite non-diet food?

Options
i absolutely love bread - so much. i'm born and raised italian. my family came from italy and acts much like the typical italian family would. my entire life has revolved around food. whenever i would visit my girl-nono and guy-nono i would be ambushed with all of these various amazing foods; homemade soups, pasta, cheese, and bread - so much bread. and i loved it. to this very day i absolutely love bread. before my diet my normal snack would involve a bowl of meat sauce and a big chunk of high quality bread. so now i must deny my most favorite of foods. i still eat bread but not nearly as much as normal. not eating pizza will be the most difficult of all for me. so my question is - what is your most favorite unhealthy food and how do you deal with not eating it as much as you would like? does it get easier over time?

Replies

• mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can work it into your calories. Everything in moderation.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Pizza, bread, full fat cream in coffee, fatty meat....but i haven't given any of that up. I still eat what I want - just not in the same quantity as before - and i balance it with lots of fresh fruit, veggies, and fiber rich foods.
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    buffalo wings and beer. I like a side of more beer too.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    BREAD......I love dense crusty breads. I just don't buy BREAD, I can not control myself when it comes to yummy crunchy crust bread drowned in real butter!
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard with your favorite foods! You can still have them...just watch your portions and you must count calories(and be truthful). And balance them with fresh fruits and veggies :)
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Denying yourself these things now can end up in a binge later. It's all about portion control and moderation. I mean, I had a Snickers the other night. I just had to choose what else I ate during the day wisely so that I had enough calories to include the treat. Nothing is off limits. You can have pizza, just not an entire pizza :)
    -Andi
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pizza!! I would eat it every day, for every meal if I could.....
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard with your favorite foods! You can still have them...just watch your portions and you must count calories(and be truthful). And balance them with fresh fruits and veggies :)

i still eat bread it's just not like normal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. and when i'm unsure of the calories and i'm estimating i always estimate high so if anything i eat less calories than more. :]
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love freshly baked bread too, BIG TIME. I don't deny myself anything; if the food I want has a lot of calories, I try to exercise more to earn the calories, and control my portion. I also make sure to eat nutrition-dense food on the same day so I get enough protein and whatnot.

I've eaten cheesecakes, french fries, cheeseburgers, BREAD... etc. during my weight loss. If I want it, I'll find a way to work it into my limits!

The only thing I have not had is pasta, which I used to eat all the time before. It's not that I tell myself "no, you can't have pasta." It's just that... as much as I like pasta, there are more nutritious options that I like just as much. But who knows, I might have a pasta dish one of these days, if I really feel like it. And I'll find a way to do it without nose-diving off the wagon.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine is also Bread... I say "Rolls got me Rolls" lmao.... I have not given it up. I just limit myself. I work it into my calories. I buy better options (calorie wise)... I love the sandwich thins. If I'm working with regular bread (sliced).. I try and limit myself to no more then 2 slices in a day (unless its the low cal/sara lee 45cal or the sandwich thin minis 50cals- then ill allow a tad more).

I just try and limit the bad stuff. But I still eat it. I figure, this is a lifestyle thing.. not a crash diet. And when it comes down to it, its easier to teach yourself to limit the foods you love, then to stay away from them all together. Because really, are you going to go the rest of your life without bread?? No.. I highly doubt you would. But you will have to find a way to enjoy it without going over board. Same here. I think cutting out everything you love, is a sure fire way to fail. Because sooner or later, you will find yourself in the kitchen with a loaf and a knife at 3am.... and guess what you're gonna do?... yep, you guessed it... you're gonna eat it. Not a slice... not 2 slices... The entire loaf of high quality sourdough or french or whatever it may be... You know how hard it is to try and work that into calories? LOL

Anyway, sorry for my novel. :D -- Everything in Moderation. Be realistic with your goals. And if all else fails, work out an extra 10mins a day for a slice of bread. :D Good luck!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Defo chocolate for me. I have believe everything in moderation. The more you crave something the more likely you are to indulge big time. Have a treat and don't feel guilty for it. I'm treating myself to a bar of choc tonight. Normally i'd have a couple of squares but i'm going to have a whole bar (6 squares) i find i just crave more when i leave it and once i've eaten it that's my fix done for another week maybe.
  • LoveMyFour
    Options
    I miss cheese the most. I hardly ever eat it, since it's so high in sodium.