lack of motivation.

Options
ughhh. so. i have trouble motivating myself to keep working out and need help with ideas to motivate myself! i'm a freshman in college and we have a free gym here we can use but i'm the only girl whenever i go in and i feel like the guys their are judging me or watching me (dumb, i know). but it's hard between classes, socializing, and working. i really need to lose weight though. i'm going to the guym with my friend on monday but i need to stick with it this time, i'm so unhappy right now. plus, at our cafeteria they don't have very healthy food (and i'm a vegetarian). they have a salad bar but sometimes the salad is brown and gross. all i have in my room is a fridge too. i just need some help motivating myself. when my mom was trying to lose weight she would buy herself a new pair of shoes every ten pounds she lost but i can't afford that right now. any advice would be greatly appreciated. (:

Replies

• bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bring your iPod and drown them out! If you don't have one, Freecycle for a personal tape/CD player. I WISH I had started a fitness routine my freshman year of college.
  • Alice230
    Options
    Can you buy your own food so you don't have to eat in the cafeteria? How about for every ten pounds you lose you buy yourself some other kind of treat you want that you can afford? Like a pair of earrings or an ice cream.
  • elizarae11
    Options
    i do love ice cream.
    and i have a meal plan so at least until the end of semester i kind of feel like i NEED to eat there because it's insanely expensive. and all i have in my room is a fridge so it can't be anything i need to cook.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    for every 10 pounds you lose buy a new nailpolish or lipstick or something small. It doesnt have to be something expensive. small things are still rewards to
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when motivation is needed I remind myself that the more I do things that are difficult then they start to become easier later on.
    Just like you said that it is hard to exercise between classes then try to not use that as an excuse and look for creative ways to find time to exercise. Make it a fun game to find the time.
    You may need to reward yourself in a smaller way each time you drop 5 lbs.
    Good luck and make me a friend if you would like advice.
    Saka
  • elizarae11
    Options
    thank you all for the advice! i like the nail polish idea, i love painting my nails so it will work out great!! (:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same think about the guys as well, so for the longest time I belonged to a women's only gym. Years later, I'm at a co-ed gym once again and quite often I'm the only female in there. It's intimidating because a lot of them are incredibly fit and I'd still like to lose 30-40 more lbs, but they see right past that. You wouldn't believe how supportive guys can be once they see you are putting forth the effort to better yourself through working out. you should give the gym a try, believe me more often than not they'll be staring in the mirrors trying to get their form perfect anyway.